Incredible Mod

rps324

Har 2096754

I recently came across this one. It will be added the next time I update the list on Houston Mod. These are the kind that can break your heart because the location is not one that normally appeals to the usual "mod-appreciative" types. It's chances for redemption are probably pretty slim, but man is it a looker...especially for $139,900

Har 2096754

I recently came across this one.  It will be added the next time I update the list on Houston Mod.  These are the kind that can break your heart because the location is not one that normally appeals to the usual "mod-appreciative" types.  It's chances for redemption are probably pretty slim, but man is it a looker...especially for $139,900

If there is no redemption, do you think we could at least get in and get some of the fixtures? I'd love to have that fireplace and I'm sure there are those here who would put the cabinet hardware to good use.

what is the market like for mods in baytown?

i have a friend that lives around the bend from that house, and he thinks there is little chance of the house being there after a sale...

if that is the case, though, no one would probably care about the inside either (or anyone who wanted the fixtures, etc.)

Are there many Mods remaining in Baytown?

When I moved here in '81, a friend took me on a tour of the Brownwood subdivision. In retrospect, a lot of those houses would fit the description of mid-century Mod, although they weren't appreciated as such at that time.

Brownwood remains one of the most bizarre sights I've ever seen - houses with 3-4' berms built around them, and others with water permanently up to the bottom of the windows. They were roomy ranch houses, and not all that old (50's-60's?), but were doomed due to land subsidence and rising water levels.

Eventually the remaining residents were bought out, the houses razed, and Galveston Bay allowed to take over the land. It's now a nature preserve.

Does anyone have information about or photos of these Brownwood houses?

what is the market like for mods in baytown?

i have a friend that lives around the bend from that house, and he thinks there is little chance of the house being there after a sale...

if that is the case, though, no one would probably care about the inside either (or anyone who wanted the fixtures, etc.)

who's up for a roadtrip?

yay roadtrip!  hehe  :D

i make it out to baytown quite frequently...i will do some looking around next time i make it over the fred hartman...

I ate at the Waffle House in Baytown (off I-10) Sunday morning. Bad move on my part.

Hangover + $400 Poker Loss + Lactose Intollerant + Chocolate Milk = Not Happy Trohy Property.

the house is interesting - as far as the outside, all it needs is a little tlc and it would be a great looking home (exterior grime scrub, a little lawn maintenance, etc).

the only problem is that it is cornered by a warehouse and a church to the north, and an apartment complex across the street to the east.

the plus is, however, that the house sits on a nice plot of land, so there is a pretty good buffer between all these...

i took a few pictures...i'll post em when i get home

• 1 month later...

When I moved here in '81, a friend took me on a tour of the Brownwood subdivision. In retrospect, a lot of those houses would fit the description of mid-century Mod, although they weren't appreciated as such at that time.

Brownwood remains one of the most bizarre sights I've ever seen - houses with 3-4' berms built around them, and others with water permanently up to the bottom of the windows. They were roomy ranch houses, and not all that old (50's-60's?), but were doomed due to land subsidence and rising water levels.

Eventually the remaining residents were bought out, the houses razed, and Galveston Bay allowed to take over the land. It's now a nature preserve.

You might also try www.houstonwet.net. This site tells the story of Brownwood's slow demise from upper-crust suburban neighborhood to subsidence victim. There are a number of decent pictures of homes there; most pics date from the 1960's and 1970's.

In addition, I also am interested in seeing any old Brownwood pics anyone might have to share. On that subject, if you haven't been to the Baytown Nature Center (former Brownwood site), I recommend you go for a visit. Pretty neat hiking trails, good bay views, and if you know the history of the area, it's almost spooky walking through it.

Strangely enough, I grew up in Baytown also, our house was the last one left standing out there after Alicia, it was the last one to have the remains tore down also. It was a grand home. Not a Mod though, it was a Colonial. At the time Alicia hit, it was a rental property, and our house was in Lakewood. We sold the Lakewood house in 1990. Bigtex, if you have the chance, drive by 306 Lakewood dr. It is now a very nice Battleship grey color house with a detached garage. The German couple that bought it have done a tremendous amount of work on it. I like it. If they ever sell, I will probably buy it back. Lots of memories in that house. :) I have some pics of the brownwood house form the 50's to the 70's, I will try to get them on here.

Edited by TJones