Walgreens At 200 W. 20th St.

west20th

I live walking distance from the 19th street "Antique Row". Even though the area is nice, it can be a lot better. It has so much potential. Carter & Cooley Company has good sandwiches and Ashland's in the Heights is excellent. The area is ripe for upscale stories and eateries.

I don't think upscale is the way I want the Heights to be characterized. The 19th area certainly has potential to be better, but only by restoration and the addition of independent stores and eateries. If a big company feels they have to come in, they should be sensitive to the area's appearance.

I don't think upscale is the way I want the Heights to be characterized.  The 19th area certainly has potential to be better, but only by restoration and the addition of independent stores and eateries.  If a big company feels they have to come in, they should be sensitive to the area's appearance.

Yeah like the new CVS. It didn't turn out too bad. They seemed to have altered their design somewhat to better fit the neighborhood. Retailors do seem to have some hesitation with the Heights. Lots of empty storefronts. That new shopping strip at 6th and Heights has been empty for a long time.

The Heights does such a good job telling everyone what it thinks it is, that it scares away many merchants who might not think they fit the Heights rigid rules to live by. For instance, no restaurant chains will ever consider the Heights, since they would have to give up 15-20% of their sales because of the dry area, especially since they can set up shop nearby and force Heights residents to come to them.

Others may stay away because they can go where there is already an established retail presence, like West Gray or the Galleria, that is not too far from the Heights. They may not want to go to an area where they may cause an uproar if their new construction does not please the locals.

At one time or another, or often, the Heights has done all of these things. The association ran off Starbucks because they wanted to put TWO Starbucks in the Heights instead of just one (Oh, my!). We cannot then complain that merchants won't come play with us. As a neighborhood, we do not play well with others.

NOTE: This may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on perspective, and who it is wanting in. But, the effect is the same...that is, to appear somewhat inhospitable to all.

• 4 years later...

Interesting.

I wonder if this has to do with the future of the structure that the Walgreens is currently in. I thought it was set to be demolished as well.

It depends on what Kroger does I suppose. They may keep it open if it is profitable and Krogers determines the 11th and 20th customer base doesn't have too much overlap. Closing the 20th St. Krogers would be a big loss to the residents of the two nearby Old Folks homes.

Interesting.

I wonder if this has to do with the future of the structure that the Walgreens is currently in. I thought it was set to be demolished as well.

Hopefully demolished or at least a MAJOR neighborhood conforming facelift. And then we can start courting the following businesses: 24 Hour Fitness, Leslie Pool Supply, Best Buy, Sephora...

And big chain stores can fit into a historic neighborhood. This is a great project:

<http://www.woodwarddesignbuild.com/projects/borders-books?type=historic-restoration>

Hopefully demolished or at least a MAJOR neighborhood conforming facelift. And then we can start courting the following businesses: 24 Hour Fitness, Leslie Pool Supply, Best Buy, Sephora...

Confused. You want a Best Buy in the Kroger shopping center on 20th?

Was that post supposed to be sarcastic? Not to mention that I don't think that Kroger shopping center has any historical merit (I assume in being lumped in with the Main St feel of 19th St).

Anyway, if I'm confused about anything in that statement, it's the part about courting Lesley Pool Supply. I guess i need a pool to get it.

I noticed yesterday that the structure directly west of this is taped off. I think it's a parking structure of some kind and I always thought it belonged to the church next door. Maybe it's just taped off for safety reasons, but could it also be part of the Walgreens project?

I don't think upscale is the way I want the Heights to be characterized. The 19th area certainly has potential to be better, but only by restoration and the addition of independent stores and eateries. If a big company feels they have to come in, they should be sensitive to the area's appearance.

I think it's going to be a Walmart. How would you feel about that? Maybe upscale doesn't sound so bad?

I think it's going to be a Walmart. How would you feel about that? Maybe upscale doesn't sound so bad?

How bout a King Dollar?

Honestly, a Berings would do well there, however, would hurt C&D which I would hate to see happen. Guess only time will tell.

How bout a King Dollar?

Honestly, a Berings would do well there, however, would hurt C&D which I would hate to see happen. Guess only time will tell.

i honestly don't see Berings and C&D in the same category. Maybe Berings used to have actual hardware, but these days it's high end stationery, china patterns and even spendy kids' clothes. it's more like Events than C&D. so, yeah, i can see Bering's but then again, it gives cred to all those who wish the Heights was more like West U.

The building on the corner is now rubble. I also saw a crew and taped-off area in the middle of the church. There's a sign advertising it for sale as well, has it not been active for a while? Redevelopment would be nice. Something fun with good food. Or a gym. Or another self car wash, we definitely don't have enough of those in the area.

The building on the corner is now rubble. I also saw a crew and taped-off area in the middle of the church. There's a sign advertising it for sale as well, has it not been active for a while? Redevelopment would be nice. Something fun with good food. Or a gym. Or another self car wash, we definitely don't have enough of those in the area.

Something is definitely going on with the church building - there's a large hole in the northwest corner, and it looks like some other holes have been punched in the south wall.

• The title was changed to Status Of 1-Story Office Building On 20th St. And Yale St.
  • The title was changed to Walgreens At 200 W. 20th St.

Archived