West Alabama Reconstruction

1 hour ago, GrapefruitTea said:

Found this in recent Midtown MRA meeting. Sounds like Midtown and Montrose are planning to join Upper Kirby in applying for grant funding for W Alabama reconstruction along the entire corridor. Would be amazing if they can get it done.

see @ 1:16:09

Yeah Council Member Abbie Kamin said this would help expedite the improvements instead of placing it back on the CIP list and hoping for funding. What I found really exciting about this meeting was the survey they did for Midtown residents. It amazes me the culture shift in thinking that has happened the past 20 years. When the community is saying they want more bike lanes, more transit, more walkability, more density then we are heading in the right direction. And for the community to want less parking or more market based parking is just mind blowing, in a good way. @Ross Thought I'd tag you to mess with you Ross 😄

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

they really need to rethink this street. especially East of Shepherd.

I picked up my daughter from daycare on Friday, and rather than hopping on freeways, we decided to take a leisurely drive down West Alabama into midtown. this was in afternoon traffic (and according to google maps, only cost me about 3 minutes vs freeways). anyway, the way the lanes were signaled, there should have been 2 lanes being used for westbound, and 1 for eastbound, aka, the suicide lane was dedicated westbound traffic.

I would say 1 out of 20 cars were using the middle lane as an actual westbound lane? everyone else was just sitting behind every other car in the right most lane.

I tried to have a teaching moment with my daughter for the eventuality of when she becomes a driver herself. I described the situation (since she wasn't seated in a position to see the scenario) and followed up that she needs to be observant so she can take full advantage of the road as it is offered to her. I'm not sure how much of it sunk in since she's just 3 months old, but I tried.

Edited by samagon
  • Haha 7

there is certainly that.

at the same time, I did the same commute yesterday, and there is definitely a light at W.Alabama and Montrose that designates no left turn, it was on and working. yet there were two cars sitting in the oncoming lane trying to turn left. 

whether it's unobservant drivers, or bad signaling, it is dangerous, and I'd say a failed experiment.

Edited by samagon

I drive on W. Alabama almost daily. The original reason for the contra flow lights was that 59/69 was under construction. So in order to somewhat relieve traffic in the area they used W. Alabama. I feel that new residents to Houston don't know what should be done will driving on the street and the lights and signs are not working or missing. Morning rush gets 2 lanes into town and evening rush gets 2 lanes outbound. Lots of people don't know this.

http://swamplot.com/the-swamplot-award-for-special-achievement-in-traffic-the-official-2012-ballot/2012-12-14/

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, hindesky said:

I drive on W. Alabama almost daily. The original reason for the contact flow lights was that 59/69 was under construction. So in order to somewhat relieve traffic in the area they used W. Alabama. I feel that new residents to Houston don't know what should be done will driving on the street and the lights and signs are not working or missing. Morning rush gets 2 lanes into town and evening rush gets 2 lanes outbound. Lots of people don't know this.

http://swamplot.com/the-swamplot-award-for-special-achievement-in-traffic-the-official-2012-ballot/2012-12-14/

I unfortunately was that person. Like within two weeks of moving here I tried turning left from the middle lane when I wasn't supposed to. I realized my mistake fairly quickly and the lady driving directly at me made sure I wouldn't forget my error.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Grabbed these screen slides from the Neartown Online Feb. 2022 Zoom Meeting about the reconstruction of W. Alabama from S.Shepherd to Spur 527. I also learned that the current configuration has been  existing for 20 yrs and was done to alleviate traffic when TXDOT was redoing HW59/69 Spur 527. It used to have bike lanes and no middle turn lane. They also took out a stop sign at Garrott St.

https://www.neartown.org/minutes-archive

mdl1sdS.png

CC2GG4P.png

NvFXqO0.png

FYZM9DH.png

meAkGnY.png

sEEF2zP.png

YIzIpNX.png

Rr5gl0Q.png

HnwaGCv.png

lWOzXPX.png

2MzpE4Y.png

Cid4B5l.png

cvMLcnI.png

ccHxcKE.png

oOgH6fS.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wow they aren't wasting time. I seriously thought we wouldn't see stuff like this for another year at least. The only piece left is Upper Kirby. I'm literally a block away from Shepherd on W Alabama. I hope they start this section once Shepherd is done. 

They didn't mention a timeline but they need to finish the Wesleyen to Buffalo Speedway section first and I suspect they will then do the Buffalo Spdwy to Shepherd after that.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...