What's the furthest distance from which you've viewed Houston's skyline?

JLWM8609

I saw some photos of the skylines of NYC and Chicago taken 30-40 miles away, and it got me to wondering how far away from downtown you have viewed Houston's skyline. The furthest point north from which I've been able to make out Houston's skyline is I-45 at Cypresswood, which is about 20 miles from downtown. Down south, I've been able to see Houston's skyline from the flyover ramp at I-45 and NASA Rd. 1, which is just over 20 miles south of downtown. When I'm coming back from Galveston on the causeway, I look at the horizon from the top of the causeway to see if I can barely make out the faint outline of Houston's skyline some 48 miles away. I've never been able to see it, but I suspect that haze and pollution may prevent that, or maybe the tops of tallest buildings are just barely visible (Chase Tower, Wells Fargo Plaza), but I wouldn't be able to make them out without binoculars.

On top of the flyover at The Woodlands Pkwy and I-45, you can clearly see the tops of Chase and Wells. I'm usually driving so I've never been able to stare at it. I've only caught glimpses. It can also clearly be seen from the Anadarko buildings. I have not witnessed this myself but I know people who work in teh buildings who say it is very visible.

• 5 years later...
On 2/11/2015 at 11:00 PM, JLWM8609 said:

I saw some photos of the skylines of NYC and Chicago taken 30-40 miles away, and it got me to wondering how far away from downtown you have viewed Houston's skyline. The furthest point north from which I've been able to make out Houston's skyline is I-45 at Cypresswood, which is about 20 miles from downtown. Down south, I've been able to see Houston's skyline from the flyover ramp at I-45 and NASA Rd. 1, which is just over 20 miles south of downtown. When I'm coming back from Galveston on the causeway, I look at the horizon from the top of the causeway to see if I can barely make out the faint outline of Houston's skyline some 48 miles away. I've never been able to see it, but I suspect that haze and pollution may prevent that, or maybe the tops of tallest buildings are just barely visible (Chase Tower, Wells Fargo Plaza), but I wouldn't be able to make them out without binoculars.

On a very clear day, Houston Skyline is visible from the highway 146 bridge in Kemah

There was a post on reddit of Downtown from Smith Point. Only a few towers were visible due to the curvature of the earth (and was obviously with a strong lens). Pretty cool. Think that's the furthest I've seen a photograph of it from the ground that wasn't space/drone/plane.

8 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

There was a post on reddit of Downtown from Smith Point. Only a few towers were visible due to the curvature of the earth (and was obviously with a strong lens). Pretty cool. Think that's the furthest I've seen a photograph of it from the ground that wasn't space/drone/plane.

Do you have a link?

Damon Mound in Brazoria County is visible from downtown on a clear day, so presumably downtown would be visible from the top of Damon Mound.  Damon Mound is about 39 miles southwest of downtown.  It is a limestone outcropping with peak elevation of 146 feet above sea level.  I've always found this mound to be interesting since it is so unusual for this part of Texas.

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/damon-mound

Archived