Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 10:57 PM, jhjones74 said:

I'm confused how they're even allowed to remain open given Bowie's past legal issues and back taxes owed

I confused how he can owe back taxes.  Except for when it's closed, I don't think I've ever walked by and it hasn't been absolutely packed.  I don't know what kind of marketing that place does, but it works.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, editor said:

I confused how he can owe back taxes.  Except for when it's closed, I don't think I've ever walked by and it hasn't been absolutely packed.  I don't know what kind of marketing that place does, but it works.

https://abc13.com/taste-bar-and-kitchen-bagby-unpaid-taxes-houston-restaurant-closed/12184023/

I have to imagine he no longer owes back taxes. From the article above published in September of 2022, it sounds like Bowie was making good money at the Midtown location but just wasn't paying the sales tax he collected, which would be a felony for the amount he had unpaid ($206k), and in theory should have lead to jail time for him. Not to mention he wasn't paying his landlord rent for all of 2022, which is eventually what led to his eviction.

Bowie claims that it was his landlord locking him out of the restaurant during lease negotiations in early 2022 that set him back, leading to the taxes going unpaid. I'm very curious though how Bowie seemingly got out of these allegations scot-free. Did the city/state cut a deal with him where he could simply pay the taxes, likely with a penalty, and avoid jail time? I wonder this in the context of him moving into the new space on Main St, having been vacant for so long in a key part of the city, could there have been some deal reached between the city/state (maybe Central Houston?), Bowie and the landlord at 420 Main? Regardless, given all the facts and anecdotes I've read, I conclude that Bowie is shady at best and a criminal at worst - I have no desire to support his restaurant.

Edited by jhjones74
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

This is going into the old Craft Beer Cellar spot. Great development! Hopefully people decide to make the trek up to that part of Downtown and this place thrives. La Calle already seems to kill it on that block

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

7 Blocks Of Downtown Houston Are Slated To Go Car-Free For Good (bisnow.com)

"The board of the Downtown Redevelopment Authority, a Downtown Houston+ affiliate, on April 9 approved a contract with engineering firm Walter P Moore and its subconsultants for the project, the release says. The design and engineering phase follows the basis of design, which zeroes in on the themes of safety, accessibility and placemaking. 

Edited by editor
Edited for copyright reasons. Do not copy and paste. Summarize and link.
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 9:02 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

7 Blocks Of Downtown Houston Are Slated To Go Car-Free For Good (bisnow.com)

"The board of the Downtown Redevelopment Authority, a Downtown Houston+ affiliate, on April 9 approved a contract with engineering firm Walter P Moore and its subconsultants for the project, the release says. The design and engineering phase follows the basis of design, which zeroes in on the themes of safety, accessibility and placemaking. 

Design recommendations include lighting improvements, maintenance of stormwater drainage capacity, everyday access for business operations, and wayfinding signage, the release says.

The most noticeable change will be elevating the street level so that it is even with the sidewalk, Larson said.

“That's going to create one uniform plane for people to be able to experience,” he said. “Then we're going to be working with the adjacent property owners and business owners to create more of a uniform experience.” "

Edited by editor
Edited for copyright reasons. Do not copy and paste. Summarize and link.