Historic Houston Videos

Lowbrow

I think (hope) he meant "get-together", not "ghetto-getter". :)

Have seen this documentary years ago on television; although it had some important points to make, I thought it could have been improved by more aggressive editing. How long does it run, anyway?

3 1/2 hrs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jon Schwartz's landmark documentary on the first 60 years of Riverside area and the flight of whites from the areas in the 60's is now on DVD and is more than 3 hours of Houston history

I just purchased my copy, it is a 2 disc set with a bonus feature on the old Almeda movie theater. It sales for $60.00

You can purchase direct from Jon Schwartz 955 2nd St. Santa Monica Ca 90403-2447

Are these commercially-pressed or burned (DVD-R) discs?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

On June 16th I will be showing some 16mm film of Houston from (I think) 1967. This is a more or less random selection of raw camera and working footage from a Houston Chronicle promotional film titled "Houston Counterpoint" showing various Houston landmarks and street scenes.

This silent footage runs about 20 minutes and will be shown before our regular monthly show, starting at about 8:15 PM, in the garden behind Domy Books / Brasil, Westheimer at Dunlavy.

Program information is at http://www.cinemabomar.org/Schedule.html

Come take a look!

I love watching movies back there.

With a bit of luck, my own films will eventually be included in the Domi show. I shot ten thousand feet of 16mm film in the late 60s and 70s. The Hill (Herman pk) Dallas Pop Festival (1969), Deuce is Wild (promo film shot at the Catacombs) and much more..just waiting to hear from these people.

I love watching movies back there.

With a bit of luck, my own films will eventually be included in the Domi show. I shot ten thousand feet of 16mm film in the late 60s and 70s. The Hill (Herman pk) Dallas Pop Festival (1969), Deuce is Wild (promo film shot at the Catacombs) and much more..just waiting to hear from these people.

That sounds great.

• 3 months later...

Interesting piece in the NYT: www.nytimes.com/2009/10/01/garden/01film.html?scp=1&sq=the%20lens%20that%20loved&st=cse

Perhaps the film will be showing here. Following this post, I investigated the films itinerary and there does not seem to be a Houston venue.

• 3 months later...

I recently watched a couple movies with some midcentury houses - what other movies have some? I know the Brady Bunch movie house is one and I'll post some pictures of that soon..

Back to the Future

The sign for the new Lyon Estates subdivision with the McFly's house on it (~1955):

2m85pif.png

The house in 1985:

11746lj.png

do9v7s.png

16hj495.png

and the art deco high school:

tz9sy.png

then this really awful one called Another Gay Movie that I don't recommend watching but the characters lived in some neat Eichler-y houses:

2yls8x5.png

11uhi12.png

343llhl.png

r8aski.png

how did you get the screenshots?

"the anniversary party" 2001 has a richard neutra house as the backdrop. the movie was by jennifer jason leigh and alan cummings. also, one of the charlie's angel's movies has a mod house in it too.

I'm pretty sure "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?" the story of Freddy Lyman features The Stahl House. I think it's Halle Berry. She comes home to find the house trashed. I was more heart-broken for the house.

Also, the best part of "A Star Is Born" starring Judy Garland is when she's in her mod mansion.

I bet there's a whole slew of threads on Lotta Living devoted to this.

What gets me is how in advertisements there are so many moderns, yet in Houston there's not enough respect paid to these great houses.

Torch Song (1953) with Joan Crawford has some great mod interiors. There is one scene in her apartment where she's having a cocktail party. It shows several rooms in the apartment and all are over the top mod....pull down lamps, wall hangings, cool furniture, clothing. There's even a smart jazz ensemble playing mod tunes at the party.

"Cameron, you killed the car". Cameron's house from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/370-Beech-Street_Highland-Park_IL_60035_1109385563?mp=1#requestclose

One of the architects that designed this house, David Haid, worked in Houston for Hugo V. Neuhaus, Jr. for a few years.

Most of The Incredibles:

http://www.midcenturymodernist.com/2009/04/mid-century-modern-idealism-in-the-incredibles.html

Brewster McCloud showed the Astrodome.

Frank Lloyd Wright's Ennis house in L.A. was in Bladerunner, The Rocketeer, Grand Canyon, The Thirteenth Floor, and many others.

A list of John Lautner's buildings featured in movies:

http://www.johnlautner.org/wp/?p=32

Just about any movie set in Las Vegas.

Pulp Fiction (specifically when Travolta and Jackson are in the coffee shop).

No Country for Old Men (at the end in 'El Paso').

The coffee shop in American Graffiti.

And finally for the evening, Eugene Werlin's Fondren house in River Oak's Tall Timbers section was used in "The Thief Who Came To Dinner"

Chronicle article:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1994_1184057

Pineapple Express- the house where Gary Coles character lives is amazing.

Mullholland Drive- the house in the scene where Billy Ray Cyrus beats the crap out of Justin Theroux. Funny stuff.

Bottlerocket- Bobs house in Dallas- I think it is my favorite MCM movie house.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind- the house Drew Barrymore and Sam Rockwell buy together. The whole movie is very mod and hip.

Crybaby- Traci Lords house when she is running away from home- the whole neighborhood looks amazing.

Virgin Suicides- the Lisbon house

I hate to admit this one, but the Cullens house in Twilight is pretty rad as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Bottlerocket- Bobs house in Dallas- I think it is my favorite MCM movie house.

The house in Bottlerocket is a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Dallas,TX. I believe it is the John A. Gillin House and was built in 1950. I love the movie, largely because of the house.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived