METRO Delays Next Two Lines To 2015

Slick Vik

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a conspiracy theory. Tony the Tiger does research and makes naive responses. Par for the course I guess.

What, your "makes comment both wrong and off topic" reputation? Give me a break, and quit trying to troll/derail the topic, because you're doing both.

Doesn't matter what people think of me I come to speak the truth. Stick to college station topics.

Unfortunately for the rest of us who read your posts they usually seemed designed to provoke a reaction in others.They are also often misinformed and off topic. It seems like they are designed to drag other people into an argument where you can foist your political views on the rest of us. I for one am not interested in what your politics tells you is the "truth".  I'm sure none of this matters though since it doesn't matter what people think of you. 

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately for the rest of us who read your posts they usually seemed designed to provoke a reaction in others.They are also often misinformed and off topic. It seems like they are designed to drag other people into an argument where you can foist your political views on the rest of us. I for one am not interested in what your politics tells you is the "truth". I'm sure none of this matters though since it doesn't matter what people think of you.

I can give an example right now. There was a law passed forcing houston streetcars to pay for road improvements. This politician was subsidized by General motors. It was a way to bankrupt the streetcar so its tracks could be pulled out and replaced with slow noisy infrequent buses. This happened in cities where companies would simply not sell out to GM's shell company.

so, at great risk of re-invigorating the conspiracy theories and other off topic banter, it's 2015....

And Slick Vik is off to a start with both, going on about GM and streetcars again in just under four hours since you made that post...

They didn't "lie" about it. You think they would've taken this long to screw around for some overpass conspiracy? They took until the beginning of this year to figure out a way to make it work and because of that delayed the opening of the last stretch for another two years. They're losing money on this and if you honestly think they were lying this entire time then you're delusional.

If they really were going to do an overpass from the beginning then they wouldn't have waited this long to start construction, they would've built it when they were constructing the rest of the line.

METRO really tried to make this work, hard enough to know that it wouldn't be ready in time

for the full line opening. It just didn't happen.

They did lie. And they wasted all that money.

I can give an example right now. There was a law passed forcing houston streetcars to pay for road improvements. This politician was subsidized by General motors. It was a way to bankrupt the streetcar so its tracks could be pulled out and replaced with slow noisy infrequent buses. This happened in cities where companies would simply not sell out to GM's shell company.

There's actually a documentary you can watch of this, check out "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" it's the tale of murder and intrigue all around removing the street cars and replacing them with freeways.

They did lie. And they wasted all that money.

The original plan was to build an overpass, but the NIMBYs complained (and let's face it--they are NIMBYs, no matter how you slice it), then redesigned it as an underpass until engineering reports came back with all that dissolved gasoline in the soil, disallowing them to build it without a huge cleanup (personally, I think the whole East End has that level of contamination from a few decades of uncontrolled pollution, but it would be madness to condemn the whole neighborhood), and eventually they redesigned the whole thing AGAIN as an overpass. All of these studies take time, of course. Now, does METRO waste money on an already somewhat tight budget? I think so, but that's beside the point. Lying? I don't think so.

Remember, METRO isn't TxDOT.

In defence of the "NIMBY's". Take a drive over by Milby High School and go through the "neighborhood" that was bisected by 225 a few years ago. These large transit projects have the capacity to destroy neighborhoods and the people that live in them's most valuable asset, their homes. If you need another example check out what's left of Riverside between Almeda Road and 288.

For a counter example, look at US 59, practically every street between downtown and Greenbriar has an overpass (without any lights) which connects across 59. Drive through Boulevard Oaks, North and South Boulevards newly resurfaced, a "Stop Ashby Highrise" in seemingly every yard, that's the difference between the connected and the unconnected.

JMO

I have complete sympathy for mass transit, in fact, I happen to believe that some method of less energy intensive transportation is essential for the continued survival of the human race. Having said that, mass transit must be done in such a way as to alienate as few people as possible in order to be accepted by the people it aims to serve. A good start would be to rationalize the traffic signals at rail crossings in such a way that, after being forced to endure an extra long light, the cross traffic would at least get the benefit of the NEXT green signal and not be forced to wait for an entire cycle before being able to proceed. Small improvements such as these, and especially improvements that would aid, not only the rail lines, but also the vehicular traffic, would be supported by many more commuters.

In regard to the property value situation, it seems that our transportation officials have the attitude that, "Well, this neighborhood isn't very valuable, therefore it would be wise (and incidentally less expensive) to put our project through it". This ignores the fact that the people living in these areas have most of their worldly possessions tied up in these homes. In such ways the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, seemingly an obsession of our time.

JMO

A good start would be to rationalize the traffic signals at rail crossings in such a way that, after being forced to endure an extra long light, the cross traffic would at least get the benefit of the NEXT green signal and not be forced to wait for an entire cycle before being able to proceed.

In College Station, we have a freight train that parallels a major four lane road. If traffic gets stuck behind a train, the lights will turn yellow then red for traffic that had the green light and then give the green light to the traffic stuck behind the train. Of course, not all stoplights are built equal, even some in Bryan blink all red when a train is going by.

• The title was changed to METRO Delays Next Two Lines To 2015

Archived