29 members have voted

1. 1. H A I F meetup - when and where?

• Downtown - weeknight
    • Downtown - weekend
    • Midtown - weeknight
    • Midtown - weekend
    • Montrose - weeknight
    • Montrose - weekend

La Carafe is cool with me - never been there so that should be interesting. But August 26? Dont know - may be busy. Either way it should become a yearly tradition that we all meet. For about 2+ years someone has been trying to get this thing together...

...so is this thing real?

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who went?

^^^

What Subdude said. :D

I was surprised at the turnout - perhaps 50-60 people? After the initial lecture, we were divided into several groups, each with its own docent. Unfortunately, we HAIF people ended up in different groups, and didn't have a lot of time to talk.

Some things I gleaned:

The building has been extensively remodelled several times, yet has managed to maintain its architectural integrity. This especially impressed me, as one of the major remodellings was in 1959, which was a time not noted for sympathetic alterations or appreciation for Art Deco buildings. They even went through the trouble of replicating the original decorative nickel gratings.

Although the original tellers' cages have been removed, you can still see where each window was located by subtle wear in the marble inset on the floor.

After construction had begun, Jesse Jones decided that he wanted four additional floors. He called the architect and asked if that was feasible. The architect said "I don't know, I'll need to do some calculations", and Jones said, "Fine. I'll hold." He did. And it was.

The Gulf Building was the first to employ a "floating" foundation - the basis of every modern skyscraper in Houston.

The original frescos remain in the hallway of the Main St. entrance. I especially liked the one entitled "Modern Houston", which features a woman who's the spitting image of Thoroughly Modern Millie.

All in all, a good time. I look forward to attending the next GHPA tour.

So was that the Official Meet Up or is there something else?

More importantly, will we get jackets?

The original idea was to meet up in a bar, restaurant or club. We're still fielding ideas for Friday, Aug. 26th evening. The proposal on the table is La Carafe, but suggestions are still being taken.

Unfortunately, budget constraints don't allow for the distribution of jackets at this time. However, we may be able to make tinfoil hats for those we deem worthy. :lol:

i agree, la carafe is a little on the small side...

what about warren's or market square?

(does anyone know if the construction is still going on there? everything was closed last time i was there because of it...)

also, there is agora. no age requirements either...

Archived