Interstate 45

Interstate 45 should technically be called Intrastate 45 because it is only in Texas. Or maybe there are plans to extend it into Oklahoma.

Years ago, my ex-Significant Other's brother lived in Victoria. His wife's sister lived in Dallas and went to visit them. When she left to go back to Dallas, she went up to Houston on U.S. Highway 59. She knew that she had to get onto Interstate 45, and she did exactly that. After driving for about an hour, she didn't know what that big body of water was that was on the horizon. She learned that it was the Gulf of Mexico! Then she found out that she was in Galveston!

A u-turn was warranted.

The interstate number is just because it is part of the federal highway system. There are many interstates that would qualify as intrastates higheways.

To bad about your friend taking the wrong turn.

Or the big words saying DALLAS and GALVESTON.

You know as well as I do that if you get in just one wrong lane there in Houston, no telling where you'll be heading. You could be coming up from Galveston wanting to go to Beaumont. But you might end up in San Antonio if you don't look closely at the signs and arrows overhead.

Actually Houston does a pretty good job of alerting the driver to freeway mergers.  The person driving should have looked around a little more.

Yes, the Interstate Highway System in general does do a good job. But, for example, you might have to get into the lane next to you to take the right

exit, but that lane has some many bumper-to-bumper vehicles, none of

whom are considerate enough to let you in. Then you end up taking the

wrong exit and having to turn around.

My dad told me that years ago most drivers on the road were fairly kind.

He said that it isn't that way anymore.

Chet Cuccia

I can't think of which direction its coming from, but figuring out which lane to merge into around 45/59 can be quite confusing. Its always backed up there because people are trying to figure out which lane they belong in.

I can't think of which direction its coming from, but figuring out which lane to merge into around 45/59 can be quite confusing. Its always backed up there because people are trying to figure out which lane they belong in.

That's precisely my point. I looked on TexasFreeways.Com and looked at some black and white photos of backed up freeway traffic in Houston during the 1960s and the 1970s. Back then, some of those drivers would have been a little courteous. Not today. By the time that you find out which lane that you belong in, the people in that lane refuse to let you in.

Chet Cuccia

Yes,

but if you take the wrong lane just exit and the next possible point and make a U-turn.

Or, you can just take I-610 when heading south on I-45 and drive back around.

It's still hard to believe someone could do this unless they are absolutely paying no attention.

Yes,

but if you take the wrong lane just exit and the next possible point and make a U-turn.

Or, you can just take I-610 when heading south on I-45 and drive back around.

It's still hard to believe someone could do this unless they are absolutely paying no attention.

Well, she was Asian-American. Perhaps she hadn't yet "mastered" American roadways. At least she was right about the Interstate 45 part.

Chet Cuccia