CN Tower in Toronto

No the height limit was 1,100 feet that is why the Chase Tower was 80 floors down to 75.  Hobby has different flight approaches around downtown.  I know it cannot be that tall but 800 are 900 feet would be great.  It would be a great tourist attraction.  It would be people downtown for entertainment.  The restaurant was great with nice views.  You cannot see nothing anymore at the Hyatt.  There is a bar at that ugly Wedge International Tower on the 43rd floor just drinks.    

Well, the CN tower is impressive but I wouldn't exactly call it beautiful.  In my opinion the Space Needle is the only one of these sort of things that's remotely attractive.

I see what you're saying...  I think something like this would be best in an area where it wouldn't be surrounded by a bunch of other buildings almost as tall (if not taller - JP Morgan and Chase Tower).  Why not on Main Street just north of the Museum of Fine Arts?  Would provide a nice view of the town and would be close to some other attractions of note?

It would be a great addition even by MMP so you can see the whole skyline.  It just brings in a lot of tourists dollars.  By MMP it could be taller if there is still if height limit because it's out side of it.  I think the restaurant in Toronto was 900 feet and looked great.  The one in Dallas is under 500 feet.  Just a idea it would complete our downtown.       

The Space Needle is very nice.  We could name it Spindletop how oil was discovered.  With a Houston design, and it could be possible.  Outside tourists do not want to see a museum downtown by the Marriott Hotel about Texas heritage, be honest.  They want to do something exciting!

If Houston were going to build a space needle I would want it close to downtown as a landmark.  Actually the post office site would be perfect.  I don't have access to it at the moment, but I'll post the observation tower proposal for the aquarium site.

"Spindletop" is the name of the rotating bar at the top of the Hyatt - or at least it was back in the day, when one had pretty much 360º view from it. 

Yep.  That was Beaumont though... Houston just courted the businesses and professionals to move their HQ's here.  Helped we had more rail connections and that Houston was a bigger city any way.

I think a tower would be fine, I like the idea of putting it over near the Post Office site.  It would need to stand apart from other big buildings - placing it too close to anything as tall or taller would make the view from the observation deck less impressive.  And I think something around 600 - 800' would be plenty tall.  Any taller and it really does just become a transmition tower with a observation deck (or two) stitched on.

Look at San Antonio's Hemisphere as a case in point.

So Miami has this in the works... or at least it was at one time planned/proposed!

61E9Gzz.jpg

I like it.

I think the idea of a tower that serves multiple purposes - perhaps one that generate electricity or some other service + has an observation deck and restaurant et cetera would be interesting.  I think it would have to be attached to a hotel (or close to one) - so the idea that something like this would pop-up around MMP/GRB makes sense in that train of thinking.

I like the idea of the sweeping superstructure that hang over an outdoor venue of some sort.  Perhaps a music venue maybe seats a couple thousand?

http://www.exmiami.org/index.php/berkowitz-plans-1000-foot-skyrise-miami-observation-deck/

i could have sworn that i recall a statement, regarding a proposed "sky attraction" slated for downtown during SUPER BOWL LI.  maybe something if forthcoming..  who knows for sure.

Observation towers seem to be the "in" thing in Asia right now. Two of my favorite ones recently built are the Tokyo Skytree and the Canton Tower in Guangzhou. The post office site would be a pretty cool location and maybe they could even incorporate it into a High Speed Rail station along with a hotel.

422px-Tokyo_Sky_Tree_at_night_%28Iki%29.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tokyo_Sky_Tree_at_night_%28Iki%29.JPG

6188.jpg

http://www.eurocult-lito.nl/23-Daagse-Nederlandstalige-groepsreis-China

i could have sworn that i recall a statement, regarding a proposed "sky attraction" slated for downtown during SUPER BOWL LI.  maybe something if forthcoming..  who knows for sure.

I remember that as well.  I'm not sure if it was something temporary or a permanent addition?  Probably the later, as I believe it is to be located in Discover Green.

Hopefully its not a rocket looking tower!  That would be really hokey, but I wouldn't put it past officials in this town to come up with some hairbrained idea like that.  Jesse Jones and Judge Roy are rolling in their respective graves at the "vision" current Houston developers/leaders show when given the chance.

Here's the article.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/sports/05-22-13-houston-super-bowl-to-include-a-rocket-ship-ride-a-space-needle-and-big-name-concerts/

They mention Houston getting a "Space Needle" close to Discovery Green. Does anyone know if they still have plans for this?

Why can't we not have this www.cntower.ca does not have to be that tall. There is a empty parking lot behind One Shell Plaza. They are doing lots of high rises there. Talking about a boomtown.

Not quite but a scaled down similar functioning structure to CN Tower/Space Needle/Stratosphere/Tower of the Americas will be built in Discovery Green before the SB.

Still, the rocket ride speaks to the grand scale of these Super plans for 2017. The renderings on display at One Park Place included a tall, high-tech looking, free-standing structure in Discovery Green that Campo later described to CultureMap as something of a "Space Needle." By the time it's fully unveiled, it's likely to have a more Bayou City fitting name, but there is little doubt that the Super Bowl organizers hope to have NASA involved.

What clearly already blew the NFL owners and officials away is the Houston vision of turning the Super Bowl from a one-week party into a 10-day event. As Campo describes it, the Super Bowl action, which has typically started heating up on the Tuesday of game week, will instead begin the Thursday before the NFL's typical off weekend — a full 10 days prior to the big game's kickoff.

"No other city had that as part of their proposal," Campo said.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/sports/05-22-13-houston-super-bowl-to-include-a-rocket-ship-ride-a-space-needle-and-big-name-concerts/

Reunion Tower in Dallas looks very nice with their skyline at 560 feet.  much like Mr. Microphone.

FIFY.

Though it was kinda cool when they'd get the lights going in a Pac Man pattern.

Edit:  I'm not throwing rocks - my cronies in Dallas introduced me to the nickname "Mr. Microphone."

I might be alone in this thought but I'm really glad Houston doesn't have one of these novelty towers. Other than Seattle, Dallas, San Antonio, and Berlin I can't think of one city skyline that I like with an dominant observation/radio tower.

Archived