What hotel brands would you like to see enter the Houston market?

Really?  Dallas has plenty of great architecture much of it very big and visable, Austin has a lot of small stuff that is great.

Of course I do understand that people simply want Houston to have the same luxury hotels as the lesser cities in the state.  Personally I'd rather have a few more interesting and unique boutiques over the W - but that is just me.  Those will come in time.

^Nah.  (to both posts above me).

If we remember Ritz was in Houston.  It left because it was lacking in the numbers needed.  I think people are more willing to spend on quality hotels now more than ever.  Perhaps they will stay for fewer days, but spend more on a nightly rate.

I've never thought the "W" was the end all, be all of hotels.  Not sure why its so greatly desired?

We'll get some more nice hotels.  Fret not fellow Houstonians.

You are misreporting the reasons Ritz left Houston. 

The Ritz-Carlton parent company simultaneously terminated its management contract with the owners of four hotels in Houston, New York, Washington and Aspen, Colo. The properties are owned by four separate partnerships represented by Al Anwa USA Inc. 

They pulled their flag over contractual disputes with the Saudi Sheik who owned all four of those hotels.  There was no indication that the hotel was not performing well.

You are misreporting the reasons Ritz left Houston. 

The Ritz-Carlton parent company simultaneously terminated its management contract with the owners of four hotels in Houston, New York, Washington and Aspen, Colo. The properties are owned by four separate partnerships represented by Al Anwa USA Inc. 

They pulled their flag over contractual disputes with the Saudi Sheik who owned all four of those hotels.  There was no indication that the hotel was not performing well.

You know... I thought that was the issue!  I remember reading about that a few years (or decade ?) ago in the HBJ.

In the interests of not wanting to sound a fool I didn't mention it.  Again - I was in need of quite a few cups of coffee this morning!

Oh well.

one of the biggest shortfalls of the montrose/museum district is the complete lack of hotels... those areas are prime locations for boutique hotels. a longterm goal of mine is to develop a very cool boutique hotel in montrose.

btw i heard W was weighing between westcreek and blvd place (this was several months ago though so no clue if that's still the case).

I hope the W goes to west creek personally. More toward town, east of the loop - an area I would like to see densify

I hope the W goes to west creek personally. More toward town, east of the loop - an area I would like to see densify

i think we're about to see an extreme densification of the west creek area... between high street (gross), ROD, azalea, whatever is replacing crappitos, and west creek (sky house, the new office bldg, midrise multifamily, potential w or other hotel) that whole area is going to be unrecognizable in 5 years. the dream car wash is also now closed and so that must have traded as well. and that doesn't include Amegy's new building two blocks north or the sola apartments behind st. regis.

pretty crazy amount of development in that area.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived