TxDOT Identifies Post Office As High Speed Rail Station

Slick Vik

Yeah the Columbia plan is nice. Something about the Harvard and Colorado plan intrigues me though. Maybe it IS the fact it's a more park like suburban setting, yet in downtown. And I like how the UCB plans extend under 45, linking the Washington ave corridor with downtown.. The UM plans are cool but I wish they had more height.

Unfortunately none of these plans address a large rail terminal on the site.. Though I'm sure they could get creative and implement one.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the Columbia plan is nice. Something about the Harvard and Colorado plan intrigues me though. Maybe it IS the fact it's a more park like suburban setting, yet in downtown. And I like how the UCB plans extend under 45, linking the Washington ave corridor with downtown.. The UM plans are cool but I wish they had more height.

Unfortunately none of these plans address a large rail terminal on the site.. Though I'm sure they could get creative and implement one.

Yes I do like the Harvard plan but Houston has so many of the suburban creativeness I would rather we keep it to a minimum downtown. I actually would pull up Franklin and build up right up to the paths on the Bayou. Apart from the jail buidings all the rest of the buildings along the bayou are set back way too far

if it is not to be returned to use as a train terminal, my next preferred use for the site has always been as a permanent city fairgrounds to house all the assorted festivals throughout the year.

I dunno, I think I agree with the author on his point that Houston goes overboard with outdoor space. I am sure that the Bayou park could handle all the festival's. My vision for the area would be a walkers paradise.

My number one thing would be not one parking spot. No surface or garage parking whatsoever. I would put about three or four towers there that would be at least 30 floors. One or two hotels would be nice. UHD is an asset that could be served with student housing. Finally I would fill the area with restaurants and stores. Can you imagine hotels and stores along the bayou where Franklin is?

Anyway, I don't think Downtown needs more big parks. Especially in that area. It is already park heavy. Lots of greenspace in that area and not enough development.

I dunno I see a lot of potential for the site and that means dramatic changes. I want more height in the area.

• 1 month later...

Any information about who those bidders might be?

Probably very early in the process.  I'm very interested though, because depending on what the plans are for this site, it could be a game changer for downtown.  The north end has a sparse collection of residential and bars/restaurant.  I hope this adds more residential and retail, and not just office space. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are a funny bunch. We spent days arguing that the planned market square 40 floor residential would screw with the north skyline view, but many of us (me included) called for some towers on this site.

I do still think some more height/ development in that area would be nice. It seems like you leave downtown way too fast heading north. Downtown seems to bleed into midtown past Pierce, and bleeds past 45 and 59 to the west and east respectively, but dies down to the north.

I hope good abatement and the northline expansion changes that. I know this area had turns into a lake during bad rain events.

Apart from the bayou improvements, had there been any talk of development in the area up Elysian before you get to Nance?

• 1 month later...

This is actually quite awesome. Why have I never seen this before??. I actually think this is a better location for an intermodel hub than at the Hardy location. Its right up against the bayou and at a location that really needs redevelopment. Not to mention the most popular option for 45 in downtown recently going through the meeting notes is the option to raze the Pierce Elevated and move it to 59. That would really be a great time to create this/ get this off the ground. Another plus is that during that time the Texas Central Railway should have their route picked along with the environmental study completed.

I have every confidence that a good majority of these actions will go through. Now we just have to sit and wait to see it become a reality.

For me, the most frustrating part of a situation like this is, that if we "just sit and wait", nothing will happen.  Or else something will happen, but not what we want.  

It seems to me that, so often, interested people in the public sit on the sidelines.  In that case, what ultimately happens is decided by another small group of people who are acting more in self interest than out of a concern for the good of the community.  

Very true, and completely agree with you, but while I would say we shouldn't wait if this was just one square block in downtown, in this case it's better to wait and I'm sure the city feels the same as well. Mayor Parker has already expressed support for the high speed rail project and public opinion about the movement of the Pierce Elevated are all going towards the right direction. This is what you might call a "legacy" project that one project that could define a city for several decades and those are ones where even though you want to just jump in and start building a lot of stuff needs to fall into place. If there is any city that will launch a rail boom in texas from light rail, to commuter rail, to high speed rail. Its going to be Houston just because of the size of our city and its importance to the state. We should ultimately hear something about Texas Central Railway's study and its results later this year and that will be the first domino to fall. next will be a planning meeting for the future of I-45 later this year. The only thing stopping the plan to fully demo the Elevated is the noise and getting further right of way with throwing it to 59. However even with that it is still the most favored option with the option to minimize the elevated to a northbound only way (a thousand dollarsin stupid idea imo) coming in at a close 2nd. Thankfully a total rebuild of the elevated is a distant third and is actually a very costly option. Once those are set in place next year might be where we start hearing the first words about this new intermodel station and redevelopment. Not to mention this is an embarrassing part of town :/ that really needs some much needed love. It will happen just need to be patient.

• The title was changed to TxDOT Identifies Post Office As High Speed Rail Station

Archived