"coolest" Cities For Singles List

From the article:

"Our fifth annual listing of America's Best Cities for Singles ranks 40 of the largest metropolitan areas in six different categories: [...] cost of living alone and coolness."

[...] "18. Columbus and 38. Kansas City."

Excuse me whilst I :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, it's Dallas/Ft. Worth. Did the cities merge?

Didn't you get the memo? :D

I was talking with my uncle about something similar to this. He said he'd heard that Louisville ranked above Houston as far as "Best City for Singles (to Meet Other Singles.)" You can never trust these things because where does the study draw its limits? Is it only Houston or Louisville downtown? If so, then of course both are great for singles because families don't necessarily live in downtown. They live in the sprawl.

Nowadays, the surrounding areas of Louisville are "Louisville Metro," which encompasses many suburbia family dwellings. Houston sprawl moreso. If only they posted the details of their findings.

Didn't you get the memo?  :D

I was talking with my uncle about something similar to this. He said he'd heard that Louisville ranked above Houston as far as "Best City for Singles (to Meet Other Singles.)" You can never trust these things because where does the study draw its limits? Is it only Houston or Louisville downtown? If so, then of course both are great for singles because families don't necessarily live in downtown. They live in the sprawl.

Nowadays, the surrounding areas of Louisville are "Louisville Metro," which encompasses many suburbia family dwellings. Houston sprawl moreso. If only they posted the details of their findings.

Let's be real here. If they told you how they came to their conclusions, would it make it better? I mean, this is FORBES, telling us where to meet singles, based on COOLNESS...Forbes?...Coolness? What the hell does Forbes know about coolness? And why should we care?

I think the author of the list tells more than anything. I can't wait for James Dobson's list for best singles cities. :blink:

Houston is ranked 26th in "Culture"??? I'd sure like to know who is ranked above us!

And just what the hell does "Coolness" mean?

It means "We at Forbes are desperately trying to attract a younger demographic, and some nitwit convinced us that using the word 'coolness' in a bogus survey might do the trick."

Houston was ranked 6th for it's nightlife, which seems pretty cool! As a matter of fact, we weren't ranked worse than 26th in any category, which is encouraging.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/3/2422.html

But Austin? Out of the 40 biggest cities, they were ranked 39th in Cost of living, and 37th for nightlife (Salt Lake City has a better nightlife than Austin according to this)? I thought Denver was partly ranked #1 because of it's college population. Doesn't Austin have UT and 6th Street? And how can Austin be ranked so low for cost of living and nightlife, but be #1 as the coolest city in America, #1 for singles, and #2 for job growth?

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/3/2384.html

Did I miss something?

This list, like many others, has bad research and subjectiveness written all over it. If this is an example of how Forbes researches its other articles, I wouldn't bet my 401(k) on its advice.

The quotes under each city are hilarious. Some idiot said Ft. Worth still runs cattle through downtown, as if a rancher does that, as opposed to the tourist stunt that it is.

Just shows even more how stupid and unresearched this is. Austin's nightlife is 37th...out of 40 cities? If culture includes museums, art galleries, symphony, opera, etc, Houston is 26th?

Frankly, this is the worst one of these lists I've ever seen.

Archived