Lakewood Gets National Play

editor

It looks like it's probably going to become somewhat of a tourist attraction or at least a formidable national convention center. The local businesses have really seen an immediate boon to their businesses. I think it was KRIV (Fox) that had the story on the area restuaratuers who were so anticipating the crowds pre- and post- services that many of them either extended their hours or opened on Sunday for the first time ever.

I wonder what the long term affects will be on the Greenway Plaza area.

Where's a Luby's when you need one ;)

LOL!!!

or Cleburnes! :-P

do you camp overnight for front row seats to Joel Olsteens preaching?

how did those people score good seats? ;)

I honestly can say I am not a church going type of person but I do listen to his sermons sometimes but it reflects off myself in a way. :)

Where's a Luby's when you need one ;)

I noticed the other day they closed their location on Buffalo Speedway that's on just the other side of the freeway from Greenway Plaza. One would have thought they'd have held out a little longer for Lakewood, but given that company's financial condition it might not have been worth it.

Anyway Cleburne is much, much better. Too bad it's not as big. They already do a huge Sunday lunch business with a line out the door, and doubt they'd have room to fit in a bunch of new Lakewood customers.

It will be interesting as time goes by to see how Lakewood's presence changes this part of town.

Joel Olsteen and his wife were on for a full hour on Larry King Live because of the move. I NEVER thought I'd ever see a Houstonian church leader on Larry King. I'm proud of the Olsteen's accomplisments. Everytime something bad happened in their family, they always bounced back harder and stronger than ever before. PERFECT description of the city of Houston as a whole, yo! B)

"I'm proud of the Olsteen's [sic] accomplisments [sic]. Everytime something bad happened in their family, they always bounced back harder and stronger than ever before. PERFECT description of the city of Houston as a whole, yo!"

I gotta hand it to them. I've never heard of anyone do what they've done. One of Joel's family members survived that mail bomb attack, and she recovered. John Olsteen passes away, then his son helps to make his father's congregation more than six times bigger than before. They bought out a former NBA arena, and EXPAND it because it was too small for all those people.

I've never got to watch Joel Olsteen live or on tv, so I have no real clue what's drawing everyone to his sermons.  But he still has over 30,000 people in his arena/congregation each weekend, has a bestselling New York Times book, and I think his church has the #1 Christian record label under their belt. I really can't think of anything Lakewood hasn't been successful in.

WHY do I get the feeling we will next see the Olsteens on E True Hollywood Story?

I would certainly agree, that when it comes to convincing people to donate to his church, Rev. Osteen has been remarkably successful.

LOL!!!! Too funny if they got the Astrodome. We give them 10 years. I heard they paid upfront the leasing for the Lakewood Church (Compaq Center) -so their paid off-

I listened to Joel Olsteens sermons on TV and it reflects alot on today's society of how one should be. Helping others when in need, coming back when you had a downfall, etc... and he adds alot of humor!

So when are they going to put in a McDonalds in Lakewood? or is the food in Lakewood expensive. Remember y'all no Beer on Sunday before noon!!

Where's a Spec's when you need one ;)

(So I don't think vendors will go down the aisle and pass out little banners, or souviners or popcorn (can't crunch during an Olsteen sermon) no gum either ;)

hrm...I wonder who has to sweep under all those chairs!

LOL!!!! Too funny if they got the Astrodome. We give them 10 years. I heard they paid upfront the leasing for the Lakewood Church (Compaq Center) -so their paid off-

I listened to Joel Olsteens sermons on TV and it reflects alot on today's society of how one should be. Helping others when in need, coming back when you had a downfall, etc... and he adds alot of humor!

So when are they going to put in a McDonalds in Lakewood? or is the food in Lakewood expensive. Remember y'all no Beer on Sunday before noon!!

Where's a Spec's when you need one ;)

(So I don't think vendors will go down the aisle and pass out little banners, or souviners or popcorn (can't crunch during an Olsteen sermon) no gum either ;)

hrm...I wonder who has to sweep under all those chairs!

I wonder how long a line it is for communion there :lol: Probably have their own vinyard for the wine alone. Probably worked a deal with Ms. Baird for the bread.

BTW, that Lakewood Astrodome thing sounds crazy, but that idea was mentioned by Lakewood as well (in I think a Chronicle article the day of the Central Campus opening). Matter of fact, I think Joel DID mention that he believes his church should discuss moving once AGAIN if his congregations seats fill up by 80% more than it currently is. If the Dome were still vacant at that time, I wouldn't put it past Lakewood for trying to purchase it. (Don't worry, taxpayers. I don't think the Dome will actually be vacant. Lakewood and a new MLS franchise may have to share that building by then :D )

Finally, I've NEVER heard of a church with a press box :lol:

So we'd have Lakewood Church next to "Van's Warped Tour" , the Barnum and Baily Circus, the gun show, and the Dog Show. VERY nice LOL!! :P

Anyone want to see Joel Olsteen vs. Tilman Fertita battle it out for money and property?

On place to eat on Main St. is Luther's! (oh I got a question) is there a military base around the Luther's on Main St?

because it seems everytime my dad/grandfather go in there occassionally on Sunday's every branch of the military is there. Not that its a bad thing. Just wondering.

Where at on Main St.? The Army Reserve Depot for the Houston area is on OST just east of Fannin.

The National Guard Armory is off of Westheimer Parkway just west of SH6. Then there is Ellington Field where the Marine, Navy, and Airforce Reserves (along with the Texas Air National Guard) are all stationed.

On a tangent - If they do consolidate all our reserves to Ellington Field, then that will leave a huge facility on OST vacant. Of course, at this point, that's about the only thing left standing - that and the V.A. hospital.