Camp Strake Development

Muralpainter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting…the Camp Strake property is currently “dry”. There is a proposition on the November ballot to allow the sale of alcohol.

http://fatcatwebproductions.com/ThePaper_2014/md-thenews/content/conroe-voters-asked-approve-proposition-nov-4-ballot

CONROE, TX (October 20, 2014) -- Conroe voters will have the opportunity to approve a November 4 ballot measure allowing for the legal sale of beer, wine and mixed beverages in the restaurants and hotels planned for the former Camp Strake property. When the former Camp Strake property was annexed by the City of Conroe, the wet/dry lines governing where alcohol could be sold did not move along with the annexation lines.  The property, therefore, remained dry.  This proposition ensures equal and fair application of Conroe’s current laws to all areas of the city. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do hope they try and preserve some of the land as they develop the camp into a suburban wasteland. I hiked in W G Jones State Forest just south of this last weekend and was really impressed by the pine forests and wildlife. Unfortunately it's getting boxed in by suburban developments. While there I witnessed lose pet dogs from an adjoining neighborhood chasing a deer through the forrest. Between this development and the Exxon campus, the forested semi-wilderness areas north of town are dwindling away unless you drive several hours out. 

• 8 months later...

I got to say, while I think its kinda weird building yet another one of these things right when they are about to build Springwoods Village. I actually like master plan. Its very well balanced. Everything looks like it connects to each other in a logical way. They really made the urban areas actually urban and the suburban stuff is pushed away from most of everything....like all of it. It definitely looked like what existing towns should be doing and evolving into. Balance. Balance. Balance.

Suburbia can exist, but it has to be able to tie into a central urban unit and it can't be the dominant feature.

My only complaint is how these new areas are still almost leaching off of the highway system. instead of maybe backing off a bit and leaving some kind of space between this new town and the highway.

Finally, there needs to be legislation in process that makes it known that if you are going to be doing settlements like these then they should have to put itself through an incorporation process or at least in a way that it leads to incorporation! This thing going to become a parasite onto Conroe like the Woodlands is a parasite in a way to Houston (in terms of resources).

This thing going to become a parasite onto Conroe like the Woodlands is a parasite in a way to Houston (in terms of resources).

Developments are not parasites; it’s the residents who move into the development that are users of the resources. However they also pay taxes to cover the cost of the expanded resources.

The population is expanding daily and they have to live somewhere. When you moved to Cypress you became a parasite too. The only cure is mass sterilization and/or euthanasia, unless you have any better ideas. 

Developments are not parasites; it’s the residents who move into the development that are users of the resources. However they also pay taxes to cover the cost of the expanded resources.

The population is expanding daily and they have to live somewhere. When you moved to Cypress you became a parasite too. The only cure is mass sterilization and/or euthanasia, unless you have any better ideas. 

wow you took that into a direction that was clearly not the aim of what I was saying. I didn't choose to live in Cypress either! But it is a parasite in a way because it has no centralized unit of operation (some kind of urbanized or developed identifiable core unit that it grows from). Yes, cities grow and they expand. thats the nature of cities and they will always do that. However, when you are clearly creating a new development that is aimed at being its own civic unit then guess what, that community needs to become a town or some kind of municipal entity that can govern itself. If you want to create your own community like a Woodlands, or a Fairfield, or a Springwoods Village then fine become your own town because thats how you identify yourselves. Grand Central might be on I-45 and Loop 366, but it isn't a new community of Conroe. Its a completely new entity in general and thus should be responsible for itself. Work together with other cities of course, but if you become a woodlands size developement where you expect to be home of 50,000-100,000 people then you are no longer part of the other you are your own thing. Sprawl exists due to the failure of these satellite communities developing centralized cores and anchoring themselves where they are at instead of feeding off of a nearby host city.

While your little comparison of comparing my parasite analogy to euthanasia is cute, this is a real issue in urban planning circles and how cities develop in general.

The fact is that most of these developments' residents have no interest in incorporating, as they view it as just another chance to pay more taxes.

Well thats not a secret. Civic duty is at absolute zero in this day and age. There was a time when incorporation was seen as a desired endeavor and its something that should be revisited once more. This is not a conservative or liberal problem. It hits both sides.

What would incorporation provide that a county doesn't? That's what residents of unincorporated areas ask. With widespread contract deputy programs, and the ubiquitous MUDS for utilities, police and services aren't an issue.

I no longer live in The Woodlands and have no love for the place. However your comment of it being a “parasite to Houston” really stuck in my craw, and I am curious exactly what resources it is draining from Houston. On the contrary, The Woodlands continues to make “service payments” (legalized extortion) to Houston to prevent annexation. Hardly a parasite.

The Woodlands is grown large enough to incorporate and is developing a plan: http://goo.gl/fe1cMr however there is much resistance to that happening.

• 4 years later...

Major update on this one. Well into construction. Due to Harvey the opening date was pushed from mid summer this year to summer 2020. Started construction in 2016, so after previous discussion dead off on this site.

Developer: Boy Scouts of America + KDW

Architect: Gensler

Estimated Completion: Summer 2020

From HBJ:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/07/05/check-out-the-construction-underway-at-boy-scouts.html

The Sam Houston Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America’s new Camp Strake just east of Huntsville is well underway, new photos show.

Houston-based KDW expects to complete 66 structures with various site improvements on the 2,800-acre property by the end of 2019, according to a July 1 press release from the company. Those buildings include the campsite’s headquarters, STEM Center, 450-seat George and Mary Josephine Hamman Dining Hall, 9,000-square-foot Grand Pavilion, Legacy Pavilion, several smaller pavilions, 40 air-conditioned staff huts and more. San Francisco-based Gensler was the architect for the camp, which will also feature a new man-made lake spanning 28 acres.

“After experiencing significant rain delays, we’re catching up, and now it’s a sprint to the finish,” Thomas Franklin, COO for the Sam Houston Area Council, said in the release.

The new campsite broke ground in October 2016 and was originally expected to be complete by the summer of 2019. Major rain events — including Hurricane Harvey in August 2017 — delayed not only construction but also the permitting process for the new lake. Camp Strake is now expected to open for summer camp 2020, according to a March 2019 update.

Camp Strake is being built on land the Boy Scouts bought in 2012 within Sam Houston National Forest, which will protect the site from future urban growth.

The Boy Scouts' former Camp Strake site — a 2,083-acre property just south of Conroe — was sold in 2013to Johnson Development Corp., which reportedly paid $62.4 million for the land. The Boy Scouts have never confirmed the sale price, citing a nondisclosure agreement with Johnson Development, which is building a master-planned community on the land.

Images from article:

Renders

QswDRDL.jpg

qYroROk.jpg

XtVZJ1D.jpg

zOR09B0.jpg

1E7XmvV.jpg

K7SPBXD.jpg

oM5Z2k8.jpg

w2G4qtL.jpg

Construction

BgR5fCf.jpg