Anyone Know What Style This Would Be In Huntsville

pineda

This is a wonderful website I came across in searching for information about historical homes in Huntsville. A group was formed out of concerns that Huntsville historical homes were being razed/burned/neglected/forgotten and this website is the result of that concern. I wonder if we have anything similar to this cataloguing in the Houston area.

Historic Huntsville website

This is a wonderful website I came across in searching for information about historical homes in Huntsville. A group was formed out of concerns that Huntsville historical homes were being razed/burned/neglected/forgotten and this website is the result of that concern. I wonder if we have anything similar to this cataloguing in the Houston area.

Historic Huntsville website

When I was going to Sam I rented one of those old houses on Ave O. It was a great old neighborhood. I waged an unsuccesful fight against the people that bought the house and put in a condo complex. There was a big Victorian down the street they trucked out to replace with townhomes. I think bit by bit Ave O has lost a lot of it's great old houses.

It seems like Houston isn't the only one with it's old neighborhoods in jeopardy.

Are you talking about Azalea Trace on Avenue O and 14th, as far as the condo complex goes? Did you remember the old Ashley place, another big white Queen Anne/Colonial on the corner of Avenue N and 14th? It's a four-plex nowadays, but still beautiful. :wub:

yeah the faux half-timbering is a trademark of the tudor revival style

I agree, and the curved roof somewhat resembles some French architecture. I'd say it is a Tudor+French styled house. Quite charming, too.

Guest danax
I found out today three things about this house:

1. It was built for a famous baseball player

2. It was built in the 1920's not the 1960's

3. It's under a working contract for full asking price

That makes more sense now. It's definitely a Tudor influenced bungalow with Spanish colonial interior touches, like the arches and chandelier. They were popular in the 20s and 30s. Still quite a few around Houston, not as fancy though.

Those diamond-paned windows are also charectoristic of the Tudor style.

I agree that the curved portion of the roof looks vaguely French - I've seen similar rooflines on thatch roofed English cottages.

• The title was changed to Anyone Know What Style This Would Be In Huntsville

Archived