More Good Neighbors

Marksmu

It seems that there are just too many folks in the Heights who think that their opinion on someone elses property is most important.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9142322

http://www.chron.com/news/gallery/Heights-neighbors-protest-Sycamore-tree-cut-down-64744.php

Yet another example of folks trying to tell someone what to do with their own property.  At least this lady was smart enough to know she could not stop it, and was better off trying to convince the builder to save it rather than force him.

In the end it didnt matter - the tree fell b/c the developer wanted it too.

I love a huge beautiful tree, but if its in the way, its in the way.  I look at the new house on Ashland at 14th that built around that giant live oak & I laugh b/c the house is as stupid looking as it could be, and it was all done to avoid cutting down a tree that is probably going to die, or destroy the house in the next few years.

From what I heard, they actually designed those 2 houses around keeping the sycamore, but after having a botanist look at the tree they determined it was too far gone and would be a huge risk to the houses.  It is a shame that its gone, but I understand. 

That being said... I have a rather large pine tree in my front yard (i would guess at least 50ft),  I wonder if any of my neighbors will complain when I cut it down?   I hate that tree as it constantly drops pine needles and branches all over my house and lawn, forcing me to get up on a ladder and sweep the needles off the roof, and rake the needles on a regular bases to keep them from burning my grass with their acidity.  Then there is the pine pollen...  gah I hate that tree.  Maybe I can get the condo developers behind Lucky's pub to remove it for me.

Anyone got an estimate on how much it would cost to remove a large pine tree?  THere are some electrical lines near it, but I would think it would be a rather simple removal for professionals.  (maybe i should just call centerpoint again to complain about it as it is touching some powerlines when the branches are wet)

Anyone got an estimate on how much it would cost to remove a large pine tree? THere are some electrical lines near it, but I would think it would be a rather simple removal for professionals. (maybe i should just call centerpoint again to complain about it as it is touching some powerlines when the branches are wet)

Would centerpoint cut the whole thing down or just take out some branches and leave it misshapen? We had a 40 foot palm tree taken out last year and it cost us around $700. It wasn't near electrical lines, though, but was between our house and the neighbors and they couldn't just fell it and haul it away. They had a guy climb to the top with a chainsaw and clip it bit by bit from the top down.

I love the juxtaposition in the channel 13 video of the younger lady wearing the Audi hat who walks by the lot and is concerned for the tree vs the older guy wearing the WWII submariner's veteran hat who actually lives near it and is concerned for the safety of the people nearby.

With the recent droughts there are thousands or millions of trees coming down in Texas that no one's happy to lose. I know our family has cut down dozens of trees on family property that we're not happy about, but it's a safety issue. Protecting homes and lives outweigh the loss of the trees...trees can be planted to replace those lost. We've had two close calls where trees that we weren't cutting on dropped massive limbs, just missing us. These trees are dead or dying and sometimes it's just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and you're gonna be badly hurt or worse.

Chronicle article says the tree in question was lost to development, but fact is, that tree was gonna go either way. Much better to bring it down by design rather than it fall on its own and damage a house or hurt someone.

From what I heard, they actually designed those 2 houses around keeping the sycamore, but after having a botanist look at the tree they determined it was too far gone and would be a huge risk to the houses.  It is a shame that its gone, but I understand. 

That being said... I have a rather large pine tree in my front yard (i would guess at least 50ft),  I wonder if any of my neighbors will complain when I cut it down?   I hate that tree as it constantly drops pine needles and branches all over my house and lawn, forcing me to get up on a ladder and sweep the needles off the roof, and rake the needles on a regular bases to keep them from burning my grass with their acidity.  Then there is the pine pollen...  gah I hate that tree.  Maybe I can get the condo developers behind Lucky's pub to remove it for me.

Anyone got an estimate on how much it would cost to remove a large pine tree?  THere are some electrical lines near it, but I would think it would be a rather simple removal for professionals.  (maybe i should just call centerpoint again to complain about it as it is touching some powerlines when the branches are wet)

I know a guy that can get that done.  I have a lot in Memorial that required the removal of about 8 mature trees for a house I am building....I had a guy cut them down and leave about 3' sticking up (needed leverage for the excavator to get the stumps).   He did it all in one day, cut it into 3-5' sections and stacked it neatly so that I could have it hauled off...All 8 cost about $800...It would have been another $300 or so to have it hauled away, but we were having a bonfire soon so I kept the wood.

I can also give you a company to steer clear from.  Same lot, prior to me deciding which trees were coming and going I actually had a 50' magnolia tree stolen...Yes stolen.  Neighbor saw the whole thing and let me know.  They forested a lot in the corner of the neighborhood and were 1 tree short of a full load...so they just drove over to my lot and stole a 50' established magnolia tree....cut it down, loaded it up for lumber, cleaned up the site, and even vacuumed the stump so as to remove the shavings and what not from the saws....I guess they thought I would not notice?

Turns out I was going to have to cut the tree down anyway, but the fact that they were brazen enough to do it, is very unnerving.  If I was not taking that tree down, it could potentially have been a high dollar theft.  Trees that size dont come cheap.

A certified arborist from the Houston Arboretum examined the tree and found that it was in good condition and healthy.  It had grown six inches since it was put on the tree registry.  It just needed some trimming and TLC.  The tree is on the corner of the property.  It would have been easy to build around it.  The developer is probably wanting to build another lot line monstrosity as it is outside of the HD.  If you want a clear cut subdivision without any of those deadly killer trees, there are several million acres to choose from in Houston. 

I love a big sycamore for the variety it adds to the treescape, but as trees go, sycamores are not very good neighbors.  There was one smack dab in the middle of the lot next door to me, and I was so glad when it was removed.  They shed leaves the size of dinner plates and any wind at all would bring down large branches. 

A big one around the corner from me came down not long ago and took out its neighbor's front porch on the way down. 

A certified arborist from the Houston Arboretum examined the tree and found that it was in good condition and healthy.  It had grown six inches since it was put on the tree registry.  It just needed some trimming and TLC.  The tree is on the corner of the property.  It would have been easy to build around it.  The developer is probably wanting to build another lot line monstrosity as it is outside of the HD.  If you want a clear cut subdivision without any of those deadly killer trees, there are several million acres to choose from in Houston. 

Or just buy an unrestricted lot in the Heights and do whatever you want b/c it really does not matter what your nosy neighbors think.  I doubt very seriously the neighbor was willing to split the costs of any repairs needed in the event that the tree broke or fell on the house or the construction....if they are not willing to share in the risk, they get no say.

Trees are an enormous asset to real estate no matter where they are located.  I guarantee this builder would not have taken down this tree if it were not in the way of the construction, a driveway, or a danger.  Trees add more value to lots than anyone realizes.

That said, there are instances where the tree is just an impediment.  The house at 14th and Ashland that looks ridiciulous b/c it built around that giant tree is a perfect example.  That tree probably does not have 25 years of life left, maybe less since the root zone was encroached....yet they still built a house around it.  Talk about stupid...was it a huge beautiful oak tree?  Yes it was, but the efforts taken to keep that tree made the house look ridiculous.   When the tree is dead and destroys part of the house and $4000 later the stump is removed and the hole is filled that house will still look stupid.

Well a certified arborist and a botanist had a difference of opinion.  I know a good bit about trees... that tree was definitely in bad shape, I don't doubt that it could have stayed up for another 15 years or even longer... but why take that risk? (especially with it being early huricane season). Who said anything about clear cutting a subdivision?  This is one lot.  The Heights is not going to be clear cut, there are too many houses and (gasp!) townhomes that are not going anywhere for a while that have very large established trees.  I have 7 trees in my 6,350 sq. ft. lot that are over 50' tall.  I did have a large tallow that I removed, and I want to get rid of the pine tree, but that would still be 6 very large trees that aren't going anywhere.  If any of my trees ( at least the 4 that pose a threat) looked to be in danger of falling on my house, you better believe I'll have it cut down.  I don't want to destroy my Historic Home! (oh yeah and my family's safety)

Got four calls from non-Heights friends asking "what is wrong with you people?" when they saw the article.  One idiot in the Chronicle was calling for a tree ordinance.  Once again a faction of these new people are a source of embarassment for the rest of us, just like RUDH.  These fools apparently were so new they were clueless about Ike.  I went weeks without power because narrow-minded neighbors refused to let Centerpoint clear the powerline RoW for years.

Was the arborist invited by the owner to inspect the tree? If not, did the arborist perform the inspection from the street, or commit trespass by entering the property?

If you want a clear cut subdivision without any of those deadly killer trees, there are several million acres to choose from in Houston. 

Actually, if you want to clear cut your lot right here in the Heights there is not a damn thing any of these nosy neighbors can do about it. And, yes, they will complain, even if you are cutting down a chinese tallow, as I did 7 years ago. The red maples that replaced it look beautiful now, and nobody complains about them, but they went so far as to take pictures of me cutting down the rotten tallow. Quite amusing. I suggested to one person that he call the city arborist and tell him what I did, knowing what the city's response is to tallow questions (they tell you to cut them down).

I'm glad I couldn't afford to live in the heights. I think I would make my house look as gaudy as possible to piss off nosy neighbors who think because they bought a house near me, they have a say in what I do to my house.

When I cut the pecan tree in my backyard, I estimate it was nearly as old as my house. The only discussion I had with neighbors was that they asked why, I told them it was old and I was worried about it's health, which was confirmed when it was removed and it was showing serious signs of age.

Trees do not live forever, they last longer than we do, no doubt, but they have to be removed/replaced for our safety when they are part of our habitat. It's not like a forest or something.

Was the arborist invited by the owner to inspect the tree? If not, did the arborist perform the inspection from the street, or commit trespass by entering the property?

I don't know.  But, you should call the police and have them open a criminal investigation.  You should also recommend to the developer/land owner that they should put up a $5,000 retainer to file a civil lawsuit.  I can tolerate smash and grabs, bikes getting stolen and break ins, but trespassing arborists on vacant lots is something that must be stopped so we can all sleep at night.  Where were those folks handing out free guns in Oak Forest when you need them?

If it is in the right of way, they can.  If not, they may be able to do something in the future:  http://app1.kuhf.org/articles/1371571107-Should-Houston-Try-Harder-To-Protect-Neighborhood-Trees.html

Is this TEXAS and the USA or some communist country with community ownership of everything?   Seriously WTF are the people and politicians thinking?  ITS NOT YOUR DARN TREE...YOU DONT GET TO SAY WHAT HAPPENS TO IT!  You people are seriously greedy, nosy, deranged individuals.

Every freaking half tard who signed that stupid thing needs to get deported to Russia or China or somewhere you dont actually have rights and private property so you can start to understand why your rights and private property are so important. 

The historic ordinance is bad enough, but telling people what they can and cant do to a tree, a limited life, renewable, replaceable piece of landscaping is sickening.  People who believe they should have a say over a tree not on their property literally make me sick.  I suspect S3MH's name is at the top of that list.

Is this TEXAS and the USA or some communist country with community ownership of everything?   Seriously WTF are the people and politicians thinking?  ITS NOT YOUR DARN TREE...YOU DONT GET TO SAY WHAT HAPPENS TO IT!  You people are seriously greedy, nosy, deranged individuals.

Every freaking half tard who signed that stupid thing needs to get deported to Russia or China or somewhere you dont actually have rights and private property so you can start to understand why your rights and private property are so important. 

The historic ordinance is bad enough, but telling people what they can and cant do to a tree, a limited life, renewable, replaceable piece of landscaping is sickening.  People who believe they should have a say over a tree not on their property literally make me sick.  I suspect S3MH's name is at the top of that list.

Or they can move to communistical West University.  Oops.

Or they can move to communistical West University.  Oops.

I owned rental property in West U years ago.  You just needed permission to cut trees down, they cant prevent it from being cut down...if the tree was in the area of the house, the permission was granted and you had to replant new young trees....I believe at the time, they required an 8" minimum diameter for a replanted tree, I cant recall, but the people I sold to bulldozed the house and the 100 year old in the back yard.  The oak was cleared out for a pool - permission was granted

I am building in Memorial right now - Bunker Hill also requires permission but cant prevent you from cutting trees down if its the footprint of the house, or it poses a danger to the house.  I removed alot of mature trees, without issue at all.  Build up a site plan, state the trees that are getting removed, cut, pile, haul.  Bye bye tree.  I had a triple trunk oak that was over 70 inches in diameter at its base (not circumference) that I took out to build my house.  I spent about 3 months trying to work around removing that tree b/c it was way over 100' tall and beautiful, but the builders opinion and the arborist opinion was that I would have spent in excess of $60,000 working around it, installing root protection, and babying the tree through the build and b/c it was so old it had a 50/50 chance of surviving and I would probably have to remove it in less than 25 years anyways.  I was not about to let a tree stand in the way of the house I wanted, so I cut it down and built the exact house I wanted without compromising over a tree.  I love trees and wanted that tree but the house was more important.

I think everyone agrees that a tree is an asset, and that neighborhoods should TRY to preserve them, but trees have a very finite life, and the huge old, brittle trees are very dangerous....just because its old and pretty does not mean its worth saving.

You know how many of my neighbors complained about my removal of the trees?  Big beautiful trees?  NONE - b/c its not their property and they are not busy bodies.

So question...I had a friend who told me a story about him cutting down a tree on his lot in northern calirfornia. It was a 1200 year old redwood. Again it was his property and his right to decide what to do with it, but this brings a little bit more of a question to MarkSMU's "but telling people what they can and cant do to a tree, a limited life, renewable, replaceable piece of landscaping".

They owned the land for 4 years. I read that the average span of home ownership is 6 years currently in the US. (no clue if that is accurate). So if the piece of landscaping has a life span roughly 200x that of the ownership and much longer than the owners and their heirs have much of a chance to own it, does that change it at all?

If it is in the right of way, they can.  If not, they may be able to do something in the future:  http://app1.kuhf.org/articles/1371571107-Should-Houston-Try-Harder-To-Protect-Neighborhood-Trees.html

Well maybe you should reread my post. I said "on my lot", not in the right of way.

Of course, that Chinese Tallow I cut down was in the right of way, and the city did not care, so there's that.

Well maybe you should reread my post. I said "on my lot", not in the right of way.

Of course, that Chinese Tallow I cut down was in the right of way, and the city did not care, so there's that.

So, by "clear cut your lot", you actually meant clear cutting everything except for the trees in the right of way--the most visible trees on the entire lot.  Not a very "clear" cut. 

So, by "clear cut your lot", you actually meant clear cutting everything except for the trees in the right of way--the most visible trees on the entire lot.  Not a very "clear" cut. 

You do not own the right of way. It is owned by the city. You really should learn your terminology before you attempt to smack talk someone. One's "lot" is that which is owned by me, no the city.

I am wrought with guilt, I just have to get this off my chest.  You see, I, ummm, I live in a house made of trees, tree parts to be exact. I know, I know , I know...but it gets worse. You see, the house is damn near 100 years old, and the tree parts (now this part gets a little sick) I inspected them and they have really tight growth rings indicating the victims were really old-growth pine trees.  Yes, I live in a house made of 200 year-old trees.  It wasn't my fault, I didn't know any of this when I bought the sicko dungeon twenty years ago.  But now it's time to do the right thing.  I am starting a petiton for an ordinance (Ellen?  Ed?) to have all these type domiciles in the Heights respectfully removed and prohibit anyone from living in one ever ever again.

You do not own the right of way. It is owned by the city. You really should learn your terminology before you attempt to smack talk someone. One's "lot" is that which is owned by me, no the city.

Poor SM3H - when attempting to play gotcha games with semantics, it is very important that you have good reading comprehension skills.  Words have meanings!

Clear cutting a lot - is removing all trees on the lot.

Right of way = Not part of lot.

So, if you were a realtor and had a lot in the Heights that had two giant sycamore trees in the right of way, but was otherwise free of trees, you would advertise it as being "clear cut"?  The point isn't property lines.  The point is being completely devoid of trees.  I was simply making the uncontroversial point that any normal person would not call a lot "clear cut" if there were trees in the right of way as those trees would easily protrude over the property line and cast their awful dead leaves all over the property and leave their horrific seed balls everywhere, dashing the hopes of the buyer who seeks a clear cut lot so they are free of the horrors of nature.

I would never use the overreaction of a term called "clear cut" to describe a 6,600 sf residential lot. This is a term for large tracts of land, or in your case, hyperbole. That is the danger of hyperbole...that you look and sound stupid.

So, if you were a realtor and had a lot in the Heights that had two giant sycamore trees in the right of way, but was otherwise free of trees, you would advertise it as being "clear cut"?  The point isn't property lines.  The point is being completely devoid of trees.  I was simply making the uncontroversial point that any normal person would not call a lot "clear cut" if there were trees in the right of way as those trees would easily protrude over the property line and cast their awful dead leaves all over the property and leave their horrific seed balls everywhere, dashing the hopes of the buyer who seeks a clear cut lot so they are free of the horrors of nature.

I believe a realtor (and I am also a realtor) would describe such a lot as a blank slate, ready for your dream home.  No realtor would ever use the wording clear cut...your not selling property, your selling a lifestyle, a dream, and real estate is all about an individual persons perception of that lot/home.

A realtor writes:  Cute bungalow on a full sized 6600 sq ft lot in need of a little TLC. 

You perceive that as: historic house that needs a little grunt work and government intervention to one day become a cut little house that makes me feel special because its old and small and I am so environmentally conscious that I don't need new and big and I can finally stick my nose up in the air at all those arrogant Houstonians that dont live in a cute little bungalow like me!!  I am so special!!!

I see a shack that needs a bulldozer on a lot big enough for a pool!

A realtor sees an opportunity to appeal to both sides.

Archived