More Good Neighbors

Marksmu

I would never use the overreaction of a term called "clear cut" to describe a 6,600 sf residential lot. This is a term for large tracts of land, or in your case, hyperbole. That is the danger of hyperbole...that you look and sound stupid.

It is my hypothetical.  I can do with it as I please.  And if you want to talk about sounding stupid, your endless parsing of "lot" and "clear cut" to somehow give you a feeling of superiority is stupid.  But, I do readily play along for the fun of it, without conceding anything.

I do think it's silly that neighbors would expect the owners of this property to hold onto a tree, whether it is diseased or not. And even though I like sycamores, it's not like it was a 300 year old live oak or a 1200 year old redwood.

If the issue is about the developer filling the lot with a McMansion, that's a separate argument. There are much better ways to promote trees, like growing them on your property or donating to groups like Tress for Houston or the Nature Conservancy. 

Actually, if you want to clear cut your lot right here in the Heights there is not a damn thing any of these nosy neighbors can do about it. And, yes, they will complain, even if you are cutting down a chinese tallow, as I did 7 years ago. The red maples that replaced it look beautiful now, and nobody complains about them, but they went so far as to take pictures of me cutting down the rotten tallow. Quite amusing. I suggested to one person that he call the city arborist and tell him what I did, knowing what the city's response is to tallow questions (they tell you to cut them down).

Yep. I think you have to have one tree for the first 5000 sf, if you're building a new house, plus one for each additional 5000.

• The title was changed to More Good Neighbors

Archived