Santa Rosa Theatre At 5607 Telephone Rd.

Ashikaga

Santa Rosa is the name of the subdivision (which was built first) it is in/near.

The real question is why did they name the subdivision that?

Probably the developer liked the name or was from there..who knows.

That's like here in Beaumont, there are "bad" sections of town that have high-class names. Two of them are Pear Orchard and Hollywood Village. There's no way I'd walk through either one of them at night. I don't know how they got their names.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that roofles my toofle.

When I would go to an indoor theatre, my biggest pet peeve was people talking too loud where I couldn't hear the movie. My second biggest pet peeve was whenever I would pick my nose, then would reach under the seat to wipe the booger, and my finger feeling a piece of sticky old chewing gum that someone had stuck there on purpose. That was gross and disgusting!

My second biggest pet peeve was whenever I would pick my nose, then would reach under the seat to wipe the booger, and my finger feeling a piece of sticky old chewing gum that someone had stuck there on purpose. That was gross and disgusting!

...and you wiping your booger was not?

...and you wiping your booger was not?

Chewing gum is sticky, a booger isn't. It's like when I was a teenager and I dipped Copenhagen. I would scoop the tobacco with the can lid and empty it into my mouth because I didn't want that stuff to get on my fingers and hands.

in my book that is considered gross and disgusting too.

If you reach under your seat and touch a piece of chewing gum, you can feel the sticky sugar content. Then you have to go wash your hands. If you run your hand across a completely dried-up booger, most of the time it will simply fall down and you won't feel anything on your hands.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, what a difference. Thanks for the photo

Yep, Thats the old Don Gordon Theater. Famous for the Karate movie craze of early 70's.

Clunker's like The Hammer of God, Fist's of Fury, Shanghai Killer's seemed to never die down. The ever popular Kung Fu TV show only fueled the madness.

title.jpg

Everyone thought prices were getting ridiculous when it went up to 75 cents a kid. :o

"Ki-yah!"

• 2 weeks later...
Another Santa Rosa Mishap (1971 or 72): My brother took a date to the Santa Rosa in the early 70's to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show or maybe it was a Frank Zappa movie. Anyway, he and his date were sitting in one of those oversized aisle seats when plaster from the ceiling started falling in their laps. Needless to say they left before the feature was over.

Are you sure that it was plaster in their laps?

• 2 weeks later...
Good Evening;

Yes I remember the Don Gordon. I saw "Cleopatra Jones" as a double bill with "Enter the Dragon" back in the early seventies. Before that I saw another double bill at the old Santa Rosa on Telephone. They are in the process of tearing it down. I snapped a few digi-pics of the exterior and, against my better judgement, I gained entry through a non-existent door.

santarosa004.jpg

For more picture go here:

http://houstonolddays.blogspot.com/

It appears that all of the seats were taken out of the Santa Rosa long before it was demolished. I would think that was done to install them in another movie theatre. I wonder how many dried-up boogers and pieces of sticky chewing gum was found underneath them?

• The title was changed to Santa Rosa Theatre At 5607 Telephone Rd.

Archived