Santa Rosa Theatre At 5607 Telephone Rd.

Ashikaga

My mother told me that she took me to the Santa Rosa Theatre to see a movie called "The Music Man" when it first came out. I looked up that movie on IMDB.COM and learned that it came out in 1962, which means that I was four year old at that time (I'm now 47).

A couple of months ago, someone there in Houston was kind enough to take a photo of it and post it. Yes, it's still standing. The letters "SANTA ROSA" have been removed.

Does anyone know if it will be demolished?

Chet Cuccia

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am about to live REALLY close to the old santa rose theater...at the construction site, they said it would be incorporated into the plans for the medical center they are building there...but i am still skeptical about it.

i drive by it almost every day at least once, so i'll keep ya posted.

I heard that the owner wants to donate the building to someone who will do something with it to benefit the area. Make it a community center or a meeting hall. I think the area Rotary Club was interested...but that was a few months ago..I haven't heard any more since then.

I heard that the owner wants to donate the building to someone who will do something with it to benefit the area.  Make it a community center or a meeting hall. I think the area Rotary Club was interested...but that was a few months ago..I haven't heard any more since then.

that would be awesome - if true. i'll have a little chit-chat with him soon

as far as the neighborhood behind there, no one seems to give much of a thought for the community as a whole, but i am hoping i am wrong...

that would be awesome - if true.  i'll have a little chit-chat with him soon

as far as the neighborhood behind there, no one seems to give much of a thought for the community as a whole, but i am hoping i am wrong...

i would be curious to know what he says.

as far as the neighborhood behind - they seem to have a concerned neighborhood association - from what I could tell anyway. They used to put out a monthly newsletter, and i picked it up a few times at George's.

BTW - off topic for a sec - for good cheap Italian food, you can't beat George's. Good Lunch specials. He also has a little garden behind his store where he grows stuff for the restaurant...you can see it from the old theater parking lot.

i would be curious to know what he says.

as far as the neighborhood behind - they seem to have a concerned neighborhood association - from what I could tell anyway.  They used to put out a monthly newsletter, and i picked it up a few times at George's.

BTW - off topic for a sec - for good cheap Italian food, you can't beat George's.  Good Lunch specials.  He also has a little garden behind his store where he grows stuff for the restaurant...you can see it from the old theater parking lot.

i think i will be within walking distance from george's...i'll have to check it out!

as far as the neighbors - i have had limited interaction...and mainly about easement issues from the new development that's going in.

i am sure i will find out more when i move!

i am about to live REALLY close to the old santa rose theater...at the construction site, they said it would be incorporated into the plans for the medical center they are building there...but i am still skeptical about it.

i drive by it almost every day at least once, so i'll keep ya posted.

Thanks. I read that the theatre is located at 5607 Telephone Road. There's another business on that street that I want to try to find out something about.

I'll post it as a new topic.

Chet Cuccia

Yes, I'd really like to know what was left inside of the Santa Rosa Theatre. I assume that they left the seats and the screen. I wonder if they left the popcorn machine and some moldy Junior Mints? If any of us were there and we had permission to pry off the boards, then pry the doors open and go in, it would feel spooky to me, wondering what we would see or not see.

Chet Cuccia

I went to my parent's house yesterday. My dad told me about one time over 40 years ago when he, my mom, and me went to the Santa Rosa. He said that during the movie that he silently "passed gas." He said that he remembered hearing teenagers coughing and shuffling their feet in the vicinity of where he was sitting.

When the movie was over, he said that as soon as we got out to the car, my mom told him that she would never go out to a movie with him again. All of you can lookup: "vstream02@earthlink.net." It's a photo of the Santa Rosa taken a couple of months ago. When I showed it to my dad, he said that it was closed down because of what he had done in there.

Chet Cuccia

i navigated to the vstream02 earthlink page, but found no santa rosa photos. (however, there were alot of car accident photos!)

i haven't been to my new place near the santa rosa ina bout a week (due to the weather) but i plan on going there tomorrow or the next day (i have a door that i need to finish sanding and then stain - not rainy weather stuff!)

i will take my camera along

and as far as why the theater shut down, sounds like a good tall tale :lol:

i navigated to the vstream02 earthlink page, but found no santa rosa photos.  (however, there were alot of car accident photos!)

i haven't been to my new place near the santa rosa ina bout a week (due to the weather) but i plan on going there tomorrow or the next day (i have a door that i need to finish sanding and then stain - not rainy weather stuff!)

i will take my camera along

and as far as why the theater shut down, sounds like a good tall tale  :lol:

When I showed my dad the picture, he saw that it was all boarded up. He said: "A picture is worth a thousand words."

Chet Cuccia

i think it would be neat - at least before it's torn down or absorbed into something completely different.

as for venturing into places that have been out of commission for a while, it's my specialty B)

That's a funny story.

Does anyone remember the Delman theater at Main and Wheeler?  It burnt down a couple of years ago.  It was boarded up but I think for a while you could get in the front area at least.  It looked and smelled so bad it wasn't worth it though.

That's what I meant. In addition to getting an "eerie" feeling, there is no telling what the inside of the Santa Rosa smells like after being sealed up for all of these years.

Chet Cuccia

• 3 weeks later...

i am still working on info for the santa rosa - the developer is being a little more helpful now (since he got a letter from marvin zindler - totally different issue...heh). in a couple days i should know more...

Archived