Shamrock 4 Cinemas Theater At 6900 South Main St.

isuredid

• 6 years later...

Thank you Devonhart for posting that clip.  Brought back memories.

In the early 1980s, friends and I (all students from Rice University) used to go see films at this theater.  It had expanded to six screens and was renamed The Shamrock Six, although the theater was already going to seed by that time and so people nicknamed it "The Sham-schlock Six" and later "The Armpit Six" because the facility got so run-down.  

I remember seeing the bad film "Supergirl" there in 1984 in a nearly empty theater (with a couple of groups of kids talking loudly in the back rows).  The theater was in awful shape.  One of my more horrible movie-going experiences.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Shamrock 4 Cinemas Theater At 6900 South Main St.
  • 4 months later...
On 1/15/2023 at 5:23 PM, Ross said:

I'm pretty sure that it was later the Shamrock 6. Went to a movie there in 1979, and my girlfriend had her purse snatched in the parking lot.

Expanded from 4 to 6 screens in 1975, per Cinema Treasures. Ad from 5/23/1975:

shamrock1975.jpg

Edited by mkultra25
added URL
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, LunaSol said:

I was really young when I went. I remember it being old school and quite grand with curtains that would open to reveal the screen.

Back in the glory days of theatrical exhibition, every screen had curtains, and it was considered bad showmanship for an audience to ever have to gaze upon a blank screen. The curtains opening and closing were meticulously timed so that they began to open when the projector started up, and were fully closed right as the projector shut off at the end of the closing credits. 

• Like 1