Sunday Morning In Montrose

a lazy sunday in montrose

ever stay out too late on a saturday and not know what to do with yourself the next morning?  say you had great seats to see a concert and a safe house to sober up at thereafter

bachanon,

Here's the budget version:

Steam table breakfast at Kroger. Be sure to have some biscuits; they soak up the toxins in 'well' drinks.

Hit Mary's at 10am for cheap Bloody Marys or Screwdrivers.

Go to Half-Price Books; mumble loudly "So how come none of the damn books are half-price anymore?" until you're asked to leave.

Go back to Mary's; stay until it sinks in that the crowd ain't gonna get any better, or there's a shift change, or you've played every bearable song on the jukebox at least three times, whichever comes latest.

Hmm...I forget what comes after that.

:D

Hit Mary's at 10am for cheap Bloody Marys or Screwdrivers.

Go to Half-Price Books; mumble loudly "So how come none of the damn books are half-price anymore?" until you're asked to leave.

Go back to Mary's; stay until it sinks in that the crowd ain't gonna get any better, or there's a shift change, or you've played every bearable song on the jukebox at least three times, whichever comes latest.

Hmm...I forget what comes after that.

:D

HAHA! i worked at half price in the past - and i remember seeing people stumbling out of Mary's early in the morning...

maybe i have asked you to leave before? :P

My sundays usually consist of doing whatever I can to drown out the ridiculous noise coming from La Strada's Sunday Disco Brunch. I wonder if they have a permit to emit that much noise on a Sunday.

Montrose (amongst other inner loop neighborhoods) is being slowly gentrified by wealthy inner loopers, who could care less about art, liberty, &/or expression (or rather seem apathic & disconnected to their surroundings).

it's sad, like the gritty new york of the late 70's and 80's that produced some of the world's most prolific music & art

:(

call me whatever you will, but..

i truly miss the montrose of the late 90's and only wished i could have alive to seen it in the late 60's &

have a gut feeling that unless crime rates go back up in the area, the sub-culture will move on.

~time rhymes

I miss Montrose!

You are all missing the best part of a Sunday hangover though....the West Alabama Ice House. Oh yes, where you and your closest 50 unknown friends and dogs can all hold your heads low and drink a beer!

Guest danax
THEY CAN GET UP 70DB FROM THE EDGE OF THEIR PROPERTY

WHICH IS PRETTY LOUD

ASSUMING THEY HAVE A PERMIT..

BTW WHAT'S WRONG WITH DISCO?

YOU LIVE IN MONTROSE!?!

I believe the Houston Noise Ordinance prohibits any noise that can be heard from 50 feet from it's source, unless it's a lawn mower, leaf blower ( :angry: ) or a part of doing business, which is possibly the catch. Music might be worth attempting to call on though.

• 1 month later...
God I miss montrose. Sometimes as I sit on my patio in the Heights I feel like I'm 1000 miles away from my old haunts.

I read today in the press that you can no longer take dogs to Brasil, shocking!

I moved from The Heights (where I lived for about 12 years, and my wife lived about 13 years) to The Montrose in 2000. It is a different world down here.

The Heights is truly a small town. (When you start waking up at 5:00 instead of 5:30, not only do your neighbors know, they want to know why)

The Montrose is much more urban (and urbane? Perhaps). You can walk places here.

I enjoyed The Heights.

But I love The Montrose

• 5 months later...

My grandparents had one of those huge old early 20th century homes at the corner of Fairview and Van Buren just down from Montrose. I remember going there to visit them as a very young boy in the late 60's and throughout the 70's until the house was torn down and those condos/townhomes were built there. (I'm not sure what they are as I don't go by the area much anymore but if anyone knows the corner, then you know what I'm talking about). I remember many old homes around there with elderly couples and with many hippies (my grandmother's term for them)...I also remember walking with her to the Weingarten's grocery store a few blocks away. Such wonderful memories of that area and great pics of the old house that I still have.

Edited by 940

My grandparents had one of those huge old early 20th century homes at the corner of Fairview and Van Buren just down from Montrose.

Such wonderful memories of that area and great pics of the old house that I still have.

Welcome to HAIF, 940.

Do you have a way of posting pictures on the internet, and linking them to this forum? Many of our members are interested in the history of Houston. Thanks for your recollections.

Montrose is getting an American Apparel store. Check out 002mag.com to see it. This months issue talks about the the Shops at Houston Center getting a Green makeover, and how the Pavilion on Post Oak is about to anounce plans for the new urban center that will go up in its place.

Montrose is getting an American Apparel store. Check out 002mag.com to see it. This months issue talks about the the Shops at Houston Center getting a Green makeover, and how the Pavilion on Post Oak is about to anounce plans for the new urban center that will go up in its place.

is this American Apparel in addition too the one going up on main near the Pavilions

Welcome to HAIF, 940.

Do you have a way of posting pictures on the internet, and linking them to this forum? Many of our members are interested in the history of Houston. Thanks for your recollections.

Thanks for the welcome! :D Most of those old pics of the house and us as kids in Houston are with my parents in San Antonio. I plan on making a visit to both Houston and San Antonio soon so I will rummage through the old albums and see what I can find. I did drive by there about 3-4 yrs ago and recognized a few of the old homes still around the neighborhood. One funny little thing that brought back many memories as I walked the old sidewalks was noticing that one area in particular of the sidewalk that was next to my grandmother's house. I remember when it was redone by the City of Houston and my grandmother's dog got out and walked through the fresh cement...the tracks were still there in that part of the sidewalk right off Van Buren..little paw prints and all...it may be gone now and sorry to sound so melancholy but it truly was a great area back then as a child. I'm not sure if that area was Hyde Park?? I know the street was nearby b/c I remember hearing that name along with Waugh Dr. and W. Gray. The house was so big to me..huge front porch with a swing..large sun room just inside..beautiful dining room that had a stained glass window above one of the fireplaces. I'm sure that the pics I have will be chock full of relatives and kids as I don't think there are many, if any, of just the house alone but I'll look and see and post anything good.

Edited by 940

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Sunday Morning In Montrose