Historic Houston Drive-In Theaters

Ashikaga

South Main Drive-In Theater - South Main and Stella Link.

They had a small area for sitting outside your car. They had a small train that ran around the area in the front of the screen. They had a few mosquitos and (this is Texas) lots of bats. It was hard to hear the movie when the train passed behind on the theater. When the mosquito fogging truck drove up and down the rows of cars, the kids would chase it and play in the fog. Ah, my lungs throb just tinking about it.

Sharpstown Drive-In - Bisonnet(?) and Voss - Had huge fence to block out the shopping center lights across the street - Voss(it wasn't Hillcroft yet). Has a time capsule.

Thunderbird - Northwest Houston - Dollar Night was all the people you could jam in a car Monday evenings.

Winkler - You covered this one, but in its waning days one of its two screens showed adult films you could see from the 610 Loop. Something of a safety hazard.

I don't remember the name of this one, but it had 4 screens. - Located just east of where S. Main turned west toward Sugar Land. You could, for a while, drive from one screen to another to watch several movies.

La Marque Drive-In - you can still see the rows and entrance gate area.

Red Bluff Drive-In

The Sharpstown

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Sharpstown drive-in was at Hillcroft and Bellaire.

The one further out on South Main was the McLendon Triple (3 screens). It's now an RV park.

You're right about both. I remember by driving, and I remember taking the north fork where Bisonnet and Bellaire converge. That would be Bellaire. My bad, it's been a while.

Voss changed to Hillcroft(at Westheimer) about the same time Piney Point changed to Fondren (at Westheimer).

The same McLendon Group who owned the rock-and-roll station KILT.

Thanks, LunaticFringe.

Wow! That is one of the rarest photos I have ever seen of the area! So The Winkler Drive-In truly existed!

It looks like it was smack where that blasted Home Depot now sits. There is that church we always used to see on the way to the mall too! Even the big 610 interchange is absent! Much too, much! You can see the bridge that linked the mall to the theater (I assume that's it so small). Bridge still stands today just needs a good paint job. I used to work in that store on the left as soon as you came back from the movies, Wilson's Jeweler's this was around 1978 though. :P All near East Ender's need to see this photo!

Thank you for sharing!

Someone posted an old newspaper ad which showed that this movie was playing at the Winkler Drive-In Theatre:

post-3393-1190143348.jpg

There is a load of old drive in intermission films on u-tube..

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

This one probably from 1960 judging from the vehicles.. Pretty good..

A full 10 min countdown flick, with extra tidbits, even a plug for the boy

scouts.. Go to church, see a doc once a year, etc, etc.. :/

Note the "Bar-B-Q.." Not exactly the tastiest looking slab of fat/meat I've

ever seen.. :( lol

This one is pretty low budget in comparison, and probably fairly old.. At

least back to the 50's I would think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQg1bIZesqk...ted&search=

MK

MK

These just blew me away! I want to buy the DVD's if available. I can never forget the chili hot dog commercial that always ended in "Get your Chili Dilli at our snack area!

and now let's all Enjoy a Fresca! :D

YOU MUST also check this one out!

Escape! Come on over to Royal Crown Cola! I remember this one well on TV and at the theater! circa 1967...

MK

Those were great. Alamo Drafthouse sometimes shows those old movie promos between movies.

you loved going to the drive-ins back in the 60s and 70s, before they all started disappearing under urban and suburban land development. I know this probably isn't part of "Historic Houston", strictly speaking, but since everybody here enjoys talking about their favorite old drive-in movies so much, I thought I would share Joe Bob with them.

Joe Bob Briggs is the self appointed expert on everything even remotely related to drive-ins, the mind numbingly bad movies that were shown ONLY at drive-ins, and the people who loved them. His drive-in movie reviews are for the ages.

Here's a link to a good WikiPedia article about him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bob_Briggs

And here's another link to Joe Bob's website with tons of reviews.

http://www.joebobbriggs.com/

Enjoy.

It was kind of neat to be walking back to the car from the snack area while seeing an "Earthquake" destroy Los Angeles on left screen, middle screen with Star Wars explosions and right screen with Cheech & Chong toking away on a giant doobie.

All at ONE time. :P Old McClendon Triple days.

It was kind of neat to be walking back to the car from the snack area while seeing an "Earthquake" destroy Los Angeles on left screen, middle screen with Star Wars explosions and right screen with Cheech & Chong toking away on a giant doobie.

All at ONE time. :P Old McClendon Triple days.

That would have an experience to have been surrounded by three screens. Back in those days, only two drive-in theatres over here had two screens: Showtown U.S.A. in Beaumont and the Don Drive-In in Port Arthur. If you'll look them up on Drive-ins.com, you'll see photos and newspaper ads that I posted.

I talked to an assistant principal of a school that I substituted at last week. He told me that he was originally from Baytown. I asked him about the Decker Drive-In Theatre. He said that it was the only one in Baytown and that it had one screen. Someone else on this forum said that it had two screens. Maybe someone out there knows for certain how many screens it had.

I grew up very near the Decker drive-in in Baytown. Originally, it had one screen that faced away from Decker Drive (now Spur 330). Sometime about 1974-76, they added the second screen. I clearly recall becoming bored with Island of Doctor Moreau and turning around to watch Corvette Summer. I also recall seeing Bonnie And Clyde at the Decker.

Last spring, on our way home from Canyon, Texas we drove through Quitaque (kitta-kaye), Texas and were stunned to see an honest-to-goodness functioning drive-in movie theater out off the highway. God bless West Texas!

I also recall the infamous Red Bluff Drive-in and its XXX fare. Just across the highway was the Capitan which I distinctly recall advertising Deep Throat by spray painting the title on a bed sheet and hanging it over the marquee. Just tacky, as my mom would say.The Decker actually showed X-rated films once or twice as well as European "art" flicks that were sure to flash flesh a time or two.

It was kind of neat to be walking back to the car from the snack area while seeing an "Earthquake" destroy Los Angeles on left screen, middle screen with Star Wars explosions and right screen with Cheech & Chong toking away on a giant doobie. All at ONE time. :P Old McClendon Triple days.
I just looked at the McClendon on Drive-ins.com. Wow! That place was huge! But if you'll look at the photo of the screen where the cars parked all the way at the rear, how could those people see the screen clearly? I know that I wouldn't have been able to.That's what I remember about going to the movies when I was a kid. Things were just the opposite between a walk-in and a drive-in theatre. At a walk-in, people didn't want to sit at or close to the front rows. At a drive-in, people didn't want to park in or near the rear rows.
I grew up very near the Decker drive-in in Baytown. Originally, it had one screen that faced away from Decker Drive (now Spur 330). Sometime about 1974-76, they added the second screen. I clearly recall becoming bored with Island of Doctor Moreau and turning around to watch Corvette Summer. I also recall seeing Bonnie And Clyde at the Decker.Last spring, on our way home from Canyon, Texas we drove through Quitaque (kitta-kaye), Texas and were stunned to see an honest-to-goodness functioning drive-in movie theater out off the highway. God bless West Texas!I also recall the infamous Red Bluff Drive-in and its XXX fare. Just across the highway was the Capitan which I distinctly recall advertising Deep Throat by spray painting the title on a bed sheet and hanging it over the marquee. Just tacky, as my mom would say.The Decker actually showed X-rated films once or twice as well as European "art" flicks that were sure to flash flesh a time or two.
Yes, someone posted on Red Bluff's page on Drive-ins.com that when it showed X-rated movies it had a tall fence around it so the movie couldn't be seen. But someone on this forum said that he was able to see it by poking his head underneath it.
I grew up very near the Decker drive-in in Baytown. Originally, it had one screen that faced away from Decker Drive (now Spur 330). Sometime about 1974-76, they added the second screen. I clearly recall becoming bored with Island of Doctor Moreau and turning around to watch Corvette Summer. I also recall seeing Bonnie And Clyde at the Decker.Last spring, on our way home from Canyon, Texas we drove through Quitaque (kitta-kaye), Texas and were stunned to see an honest-to-goodness functioning drive-in movie theater out off the highway. God bless West Texas!I also recall the infamous Red Bluff Drive-in and its XXX fare. Just across the highway was the Capitan which I distinctly recall advertising Deep Throat by spray painting the title on a bed sheet and hanging it over the marquee. Just tacky, as my mom would say.The Decker actually showed X-rated films once or twice as well as European "art" flicks that were sure to flash flesh a time or two.
I just looked up the town of Quitaque, Texas on Drive-ins.com. That theatre is called the Midway. It has one screen, the front of which is a big, painted American flag.

I just looked at the McClendon on Drive-ins.com. Wow! That place was huge! But if you'll look at the photo of the screen where the cars parked all the way at the rear, how could those people see the screen clearly? I know that I wouldn't have been able to.That's what I remember about going to the movies when I was a kid. Things were just the opposite between a walk-in and a drive-in theatre. At a walk-in, people didn't want to sit at or close to the front rows. At a drive-in, people didn't want to park in or near the rear rows.Yes, someone posted on Red Bluff's page on Drive-ins.com that when it showed X-rated movies it had a tall fence around it so the movie couldn't be seen. But someone on this forum said that he was able to see it by poking his head underneath it.

To get a goooood spot you had to get there early! Now its all coming back to me as I recall us rounding up all the gang early OR ELSE you got left behind. Parking in the middle was best, however the worse were 1st and 2nd rows in front and even worse, way in the back or far left or far right.

It was hilarious seeing some cars pull in from the exit to save $. All you had to do was tell your friends to jump out and lay something like flat boards so your tires wouldnt get popped by the spikes. Then pull in slowly and everyone jumps on the hood and its Wooppeee! Now unless your not in the least bit embarrassed by the cars facing you and watching the whole caper. Most everyone had a beer buzz anyway so they didn't care. You would be surprised how many people can fit in those trunks in those days too. It always looked like a Chinese Fire drill once everyone popped out and acted casual by cracking open brew and start mingling. Other cars nearby would do the same so no big deal. Fun days. :P

Yeah, that's the one. They still love America out in West Texas. I miss the old Brazos Drive-in Theater just outside of Seymour, Texas.

As crazy as this sounds, that would be the perfect trip for members on this forum to go check out! I will sneak in the trunk. :ph34r:

Serious though!

I know for a fact that many drive-ins still operate in greater Los Angeles and they are far crazier than Texans.

As crazy as this sounds, that would be the perfect trip for members on this forum to go check out! I will sneak in the trunk. :ph34r:

Serious though!

I know for a fact that many drive-ins still operate in greater Los Angeles and they are far crazier than Texans.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been at least one person on this forum who hasn't gone to the Showboat Drive-in Theatre in Hockley. I haven't heard anything about that one in Porter for quite awhile; I don't know if it's still open. If someone goes to one of them, they need to tell us how it was.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been at least one person on this forum who hasn't gone to the Showboat Drive-in Theatre in Hockley. I haven't heard anything about that one in Porter for quite awhile; I don't know if it's still open. If someone goes to one of them, they need to tell us how it was.
I've been to the Showboat a couple of times...it's great fun. I live in Pearland and take the family there every so often.
I just looked at the McClendon on Drive-ins.com. Wow! That place was huge! But if you'll look at the photo of the screen where the cars parked all the way at the rear, how could those people see the screen clearly? I know that I wouldn't have been able to.That's what I remember about going to the movies when I was a kid. Things were just the opposite between a walk-in and a drive-in theatre. At a walk-in, people didn't want to sit at or close to the front rows. At a drive-in, people didn't want to park in or near the rear rows.Yes, someone posted on Red Bluff's page on Drive-ins.com that when it showed X-rated movies it had a tall fence around it so the movie couldn't be seen. But someone on this forum said that he was able to see it by poking his head underneath it.I just looked up the town of Quitaque, Texas on Drive-ins.com. That theatre is called the Midway. It has one screen, the front of which is a big, painted American flag.
Yep, the McClendon was gigantic. I remember going there to see a Planet of the Apes marathon in the early 70's...cool times!

What was really neat about being at the drive-in theaters was every now and then you would see a falling star in the background as the movies played. What used to ruin the eveing was as the evening progressed the fog would start moving in and you could hardly see the film. Windows would fog up too but for different reasons. :ph34r: >:)

Well, both were on account of mother nature doing her thing.

What was really neat about being at the drive-in theaters was every now and then you would see a falling star in the background as the movies played. What used to ruin the eveing was as the evening progressed the fog would start moving in and you could hardly see the film. Windows would fog up too but for different reasons. :ph34r: >:)

Well, both were on account of mother nature doing her thing.

What would irritate me would be when it would start raining. Not the rain, but the windshield fogging up, you'd have to either wipe it or turn on the defrost, and that sound combined with the sound of your flapping windshield wipers made it difficult to both see and hear the movie.

The Brazos is still open. I receive weekly e-mails from it.

That must be a different Brazos Drive-in. The one in Seymour closed years ago and last spring I drove by it and they are re-routing a highway right through the old site.

• 2 weeks later...
That must be a different Brazos Drive-in. The one in Seymour closed years ago and last spring I drove by it and they are re-routing a highway right through the old site.

According to Drive-ins.com, that DI in Porter is still open. I understood that the initial owner had some financial problems and now someone else owns it and changed its name.

• 2 weeks later...
What would irritate me would be when it would start raining. Not the rain, but the windshield fogging up, you'd have to either wipe it or turn on the defrost, and that sound combined with the sound of your flapping windshield wipers made it difficult to both see and hear the movie.

Psssssttttt! NB, nobody goes to the drive-in to actually SEE a movie, if you catch my drift,(wink-wink) (nudge-nudge). ;):lol:

Psssssttttt! NB, nobody goes to the drive-in to actually SEE a movie, if you catch my drift,(wink-wink) (nudge-nudge). ;):lol:

There's a good article about the history of drive-in theatres in Wikipedia. It said that back in the 1940s/1950s, because a lot of young people didn't go to actually see the movie, that drive-in theatres were called "passion pits" by the parents who didn't approve of them.

• 2 months later...
I grew up very near the Decker drive-in in Baytown. Originally, it had one screen that faced away from Decker Drive (now Spur 330). Sometime about 1974-76, they added the second screen. I clearly recall becoming bored with Island of Doctor Moreau and turning around to watch Corvette Summer. I also recall seeing Bonnie And Clyde at the Decker.

Last spring, on our way home from Canyon, Texas we drove through Quitaque (kitta-kaye), Texas and were stunned to see an honest-to-goodness functioning drive-in movie theater out off the highway. God bless West Texas!

I also recall the infamous Red Bluff Drive-in and its XXX fare. Just across the highway was the Capitan which I distinctly recall advertising Deep Throat by spray painting the title on a bed sheet and hanging it over the marquee. Just tacky, as my mom would say.The Decker actually showed X-rated films once or twice as well as European "art" flicks that were sure to flash flesh a time or two.

Was the Red Bluff near a Sinclair oil refinery?

Archived