Shortcut Non Proposal Freeway

This is quite unecessary. One already exists.

There is already a dedicated lane system in place to direct US 59 traffic and I-45 between each other. The interchange system between I-45 and US 59 and US 59 and SH 288 is one of the best design facilities in the country given it's age.

The stretch betwen SH288 and I-45 on US 59 there are actually dual freeways. The center section speeds traffic from the US-59/SH-288 intersection to I-45. The outside freeway handles US-59 traffic bypassing the I-45 interchange. Few minor geometric fixes need to added to the system, but in the end it is quite effective.

Actually,

Highway planners after 1975 couldn't just draw lines through anywhere especially if they want federal funds.

If you've noticed, most new expressways proposal align themselves with existing roads or rail roads. Toll roads are generally taking this approach.

Federal funding for roads puts so many restrictions that its hard to draw a line from A to B and build. You have to go through a lot of hoops to build new federal funded freeways (pretty much all freeways).

This is why you can propose a freeway expansion or a new freeway and it takes 10 years to get to the point of construction.

Maybe it's me but Dominax is starting to remind me of a poster in the old forum that was ran off. I remember that person making a supertall building in downtown and touting it as a proposal by some Arab sheik.

yeah wasn't it trillion tower, and it was just a cut and paste of a dallas building. Didn't he do some kind of hanging apartments over 59 also.

A proposal that should be looked at is of SH 249 coming into Houston as I think this would relieve congestion on both I-45 and 290 by taking the Champions/Klein/Tomball area commmuters off these two already crowded freeways.

I've heard that TxDot or Harris County has looked into extending SH 249 all the way to The Loop, but how and where?

No it is not a good idea at all, and that is not how TxDOT runs it proposals (as I used to work for them, trust me). Reliver lanes could be added, and have been looked at by TxDOT before. Improving the mass transit options is also something METRO needs to look at, as many of the "Park-and-Ride" buses are going out full from the North side.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Seven Continents Down, None to Go

seems like a good idea... we shall see.

Is this guy your alter-ego.vvv

No it is not a good idea at all, and that is not how TxDOT runs it proposals (as I used to work for them, trust me). Reliver lanes could be added, and have been looked at by TxDOT before. Improving the mass transit options is also something METRO needs to look at, as many of the "Park-and-Ride" buses are going out full from the North side.

Capt-AWACS, Seven Continents Down, None to Go

No I'm the guy who was LtAWACS and has been CaptAWACS on SSP, SSC, adn the old Houston forum. This guy ganked my old handle, don't know why.

The point still stands about it being a bad idea.

Capt-AWACS, The original

Why is sinking the Southwest Freeway a waste of money? I guarantee this freeway will function better than all of the over-engineered monstrosities around town. Just consider all of the existing depressed freeway sections around Houston (I-10 between Heights Blvd. and Washington Ave., the Beltway between I-10 and Deerwood, among others). I can't ever remember sitting in traffic on these roads.

Besides, moving the most cars for the least amount of money isn't the only valid consideration in road projects. Making Houston a desirable place to live and locate a business is extremely important, and sinking the Southwest Freeway is another means to that end. Aesthetics are not "fluff" in this day and age. If Houstonians continue to have that attitude, though, this city will get left in the dust.

You need to remember the expense of lower a freeway versus Atlanta from which your name suggests. Houston has to use pump systems to make the road somewhat functionable durint a 25-year storm. Anything higher than that and the cost would be ridiculous. US-59 suffered a pump failure earlier this week during a rain storm and the freeway was closed during rush hour.

That's the chance we would tak with depressed freeways.

I-10 and SH 288 were designed with no pumps because the bayous nearby were much lower and still allowed drainage. Recently TxDOT was looking into adding pumps to the I-10 section from Shepherd to Washington because the flooding is more frequent.

Don't get me wrong, I love depressed freeways, but the cost can be exhorbitant. TxDOT had to spend over $30 million extra to extend the depressed section.

There were plans to attempt to lower the Katy freeway from I-610 to just past the beltway. The costs and complications of the job would have brought on too much opposition.