City Selling Block 101

asubrt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The building across from 59 is part of the GRB's master plan. I'm curious if they are even going to do that anymore because it was merely one of many options for expansion. Now that they are going to be linked up with the Greater Houston Building and building pad for the future hotel I don't think that the building across 59 is necessary.

102 story confirmed, you heard it here first folks

When you think about it this site is pretty damn perfect for a super tall.. It's straddled between the two new rail lines and only a block from discovery green. The whole top half of the tower would have views of the park.

I believe this site plan is old. It shows Prarie going all the way to MMP, and no Fingers apartments. I mean, am I looking at Ben milam there?

also the garage with the rail running through it, doesn't mention Houston First or the hotel.

I believe this site plan is old. It shows Prarie going all the way to MMP, and no Fingers apartments. I mean, am I looking at Ben milam there?

also the garage with the rail running through it, doesn't mention Houston First or the hotel.

Very true. There does seem to be a good amount of outdated things in that picture. Definitely the George R Brown ramp which isn't even going that way anymore.

interesting. What is the structure east of 59 between Polk / St Emanuel / Bell / Leeland? Another hotel right? Also, originally the block south of George R Brown was meant to be an extension of the convention center. This shows four full blocks dedicated to a parking garage.
What is the building on EaDo across 59 next to St. Emanuel I wonder? Edit: Just saw Subdude's post, which asked the same question.
That's Dan Nip's old East End Convention Center Hotel proposal, which the property is now fenced off for EaDo Place (still not under construction) post-709-14158497612716_thumb.jpgpost-709-14158497785044_thumb.jpg
And the building next to lofts at the ballpark place.
This horribly outdated map also contains the now-dead Wyndham East End Hotel (by Ballpark Lofts) as well as the original concept for GRB expansion east of Toyota Center, which is incorrectly labeled as being a parking garage. Worst. Map. EVER.

That's Dan Nip's old East End Convention Center Hotel proposal, which the property is now fenced off for EaDo Place (still not under construction)

Are you referring to this not-under-construction project or a second undisclosed one on the other side of the freeway?

EaDo Place (the lot currently fenced off in Green fencing - by the old Meridian) ...not to be confused with EaDo Station, which I believe is what you have pictured.

EDIT: This is EaDo Place - not certain what's happening with it as lot has been fenced off for a while with no activity. http://www.globalcenturydev.com/files/investors_final2.pdf

I get uneasy when I read of city or county officials getting involved in land deals in places in which they have some influence or advance knowledge.  Such events are rarely subject to public scrutiny here, unfortunately.  Perhaps related to that, I do remember reading about Macey being involved in the East End, way back before it was trendy.  Before the GRB site was settled on, there was a competition between 2 big interest groups ... one wanted the east downtown site and the other (including Hines interests) wanted it to replace Allen Parkway Village.  Not surprisingly, consideration of the latter site generated a lot of pushback from other (non-business) segments of our community.

I also recall that the rather large plot of land for IAH was assembled by supposedly altruistic and civic-minded local businessmen, who "of course" would not work deals with local politicians to make a tidy profit selling it to the CoH.  I never saw definitive evidence, but there were intimations that at least one highly placed CoH official may have been given a slice of that pie.

Conspiracy Theory time, everyone get ur tinfoil hats and you're Conspiracy mad libs out!

The situations I cited were reported in the local media, but my interpretation of the motives of the politicians involved in those two particular situations is conjecture.  However, there have been more recent situations in which officials' actions led to their downfall.  I don't think it's "tinfoil hat" behavior for us to scrutinize more carefully the behavior of our elected officials.  There will always be foxes who want to run the  henhouse ... and they will, if we don't pay attention.

The situations I cited were reported in the local media, but my interpretation of the motives of the politicians involved in those two particular situations is conjecture.  However, there have been more recent situations in which officials' actions led to their downfall.  I don't think it's "tinfoil hat" behavior for us to scrutinize more carefully the behavior of our elected officials.  There will always be foxes who want to run the  henhouse ... and they will, if we don't pay attention.

You're exactly right, nothing "conspiracy" about it, public officials pushing developments in which they have an undisclosed personal stake has been meat and potatoes corruption for centuries. Not saying that's the case here, but you have to turn over every rock because it happens so often. Hopefully one can rely on the local press to be vigilant about such things, although I'm not so sure about the Chronicle.

• The title was changed to City Selling Block 101 For Development (Capitol/Rusk/Crawford/Americas)
  • The title was changed to City Selling Block 101

Archived