Will San Antonio Take Place Over Dallas For Good.

Dominax

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think now that Dallas can't grow out, I will start to grow up. So its still possible for Dallas to grow past San Antonio in population and also grow more dense at the same time.

Ok....Let's be serious for one moment. San Antonio has only 10-14,000 people more than us. Actually San Antonio has surpassed Dallas before but we came back then and we will definately come back this time. This time I think that we will really surpass them, simply because of the shift in population inward. Texas is Great, All of our towns and Cities are growing. :rolleyes::lol:

Ok....Let's be serious for one moment. San Antonio has only 10-14,000 people more than us. Actually San Antonio has surpassed Dallas before but we came back then and we will definately come back this time. This time I think that we will really surpass them, simply because of the shift in population inward. Texas is Great, All of our towns and Cities are growing. :rolleyes:  :lol:

In spite of all the stories, the only real growth inward in Texas cities has been immigrant hispanics. Dallas, Houston, and probably San Antonio have all lost caucasion population, despite the growth of inner city housing. So, for Dallas to repass San Antonio, it will need to gain more immigrants. Combine that with San Antonio's ability to annex, and I don't think it will happen.

The city limits of Dallas could expand in the Southwestern quadrant of Dallas County, it is not hemmed in. Should the Port of Houston (et. al.) proceed with the construction of an agile port in SW Dallas County, I would not be surprised if the city of Dallas begins annexing unincorporated land. Futhermore, Wilmer and Hutchins are two small towns, rural hangers on, which school district was recently absorbed into the DISD; it's not out of the question that these and one or two other small towns in rural South Dallas County are annexed by the city of Dallas.

If South Dallas County becomes built out just as the North, the city's population could exceed 2,000,000. Nevertheless, San Antonio Metro will experience some heafty population growth, with much of that inside the city limits.

In spite of all the stories, the only real growth inward in Texas cities has been immigrant hispanics.  Dallas, Houston, and probably San Antonio have all lost caucasion population, despite the growth of inner city housing.  So, for Dallas to repass San Antonio, it will need to gain more immigrants.  Combine that with San Antonio's ability to annex, and I don't think it will happen.

That's very interesting. Do you have a source or link for that information?

On these forums, a topic like this is just expected to come with a dose of prejudiced community boosterism that's mostly good only at a pep rally, however, the general discussion frequently includes very tangible situations which impact liveability of all Texas communities.

The real benefit of whatever rivalries exist between Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio has yet to be delivered.

Maybe the first poster meant H vs D, but most of this thread has merely been Dallas versus San Antonio. I don't see how this shows we have an inferiority complex.

Give me a break - of course we do! Perhaps this particular topic doesnt illuminate the subject as well as others but it still shows how much importance Houstonians place on besting Dallas (regardless of whether its Houston or San Antonio or Austin - somehow it always comes back to ....compared to Dallas).

Just look at all the Houston Shopping vs. Dallas shopping, Is Dallas a newer city than Houston, Dallas: Port Of Houston's Inland Outpost, Haif Moderators - Please Stop The Madness! --- those are just a few, nearly ever thread in the Dallas section has references of Houston has this Dallas has that.

It gets really old - and now its spilled over into the San Antonio section and has tainted the waters here as well.

Nobody says Dallas sucks.  It's just funny that Dallas always compares itself to other cities.  I lived there for four years, and saw it first hand. 

It's just funny.  You rarely hear about Houston wanting to model itself after some other city.

Maybe we should, but we don't.  We are real.

Are you kidding me? Do you ever actually READ this forum? At least in this forum, nothing can even be mentioned without some comparison to Dallas being brought into the conversation. Dallasites don't compare Dallas to other cities as much as people in other cities (uh-uhm) compare Dallas to other cities. In this thread someone made a reference to Dallas being the next Boston or Toronto and immediately it was assumed that "Dallas is comparing itself to Boston or Toronto", and then it was compared to Indianapolis, which was supposed to be some sort of insult to the city of Dallas... From what I've read on this forum - the HAIF - there are many examples (a lot of them now locked in an attempt to gain control of the out of countro Dallas bashing) of Houston doing exactly what you're claiming it doesn't do... "You rarely hear about Houston wanting to model itself after some other city". Okay, so maybe Houston isn't "modelling" itself after any other city, but there certainly are plenty of examples of Houston comparing itself to Dallas on here. I don't know why there is such a fascination with Dallas-bashing in Houston. Most Dallasites don't even give Houston a second thought muchless sit around Houston-bashing. Maybe that's the problem... Dallas ignores Houston for the most part and for some reason that pisses people off.

Are you kidding me? Do you ever actually READ this forum? At least in this forum, nothing can even be mentioned without some comparison to Dallas being brought into the conversation. Dallasites don't compare Dallas to other cities as much as people in other cities (uh-uhm) compare Dallas to other cities. In this thread someone made a reference to Dallas being the next Boston or Toronto and immediately it was assumed that "Dallas is comparing itself to Boston or Toronto", and then it was compared to Indianapolis, which was supposed to be some sort of insult to the city of Dallas... From what I've read on this forum - the HAIF - there are many examples (a lot of them now locked in an attempt to gain control of the out of countro Dallas bashing) of Houston doing exactly what you're claiming it doesn't do... "You rarely hear about Houston wanting to model itself after some other city". Okay, so maybe Houston isn't "modelling" itself after any other city, but there certainly are plenty of examples of Houston comparing itself to Dallas on here. I don't know why there is such a fascination with Dallas-bashing in Houston. Most Dallasites don't even give Houston a second thought muchless sit around Houston-bashing. Maybe that's the problem... Dallas ignores Houston for the most part and for some reason that pisses people off.

Willy1 you should be a sharp shooter because u hit the bulls eye. I totally agree with you about the ignoring thing. Untill now I could never pin point the obvious. But it is sadly true that it seems to piss "Certin" people off when Dallasites look over rude comments and bashing statements coming form other city forumers. Meybe it's because we don't react like they do when someone just so happens to give Dallas a little constructive critisism. Dallasites take the good with the bad. And I can't help the fact that I have noticed alot of Houstonians stating that they Love Houston because it is real and that they like it for what it is,but in actuallity if they truly felt that way about there city then both Dallasites and Houstonians would have the same carefree,say what you want about us attitude without the verbal component. But...For the record I am a Dallasite who just so happens to love Houston,Big ups to all the projects coming on line.And I can put any amount of money on it that Both cities will evolve into Great World Class cities. I know this will happen because Texas is Big enough for the both of them....Texas is Crunk!!!! ;)

Once again the Dallasites are blameless in regards to Houston bashing, this is ludicrous at best. Take your own advice and read this forum.

All I ever hear is that Houston has some weird fascination with upping Dallas, yet Dallas doesn't care about Houston or what Houston thinks. GIVE ME A BREAK! Every person I know from Dallas has the same mindset when talking about Houston as every Houstonian has when discussing Dallas. It's called an inner state rivalry. It's natural to our country and exists in just about every state in the union.

It's true that some goons go to far in the debate and place a flame war where it shouldn't be, but to act as if Dallasites don't have the same or similar attitudes is extremely pompous. In fact one of the cliches Houstonians use to bash Dallas is them feeling as if they do no wrong, and that there far above the rudimentary minds of the poor feeble Houstonians who have an unhealthy fascination with upping Big D.

Yes this subject has been taken to far before and will be again, but why can't we understand that this rivalry is perfectly natural.

Once again the Dallasites are blameless in regards to Houston bashing, this is ludicrous at best. Take your own advice and read this forum.

All I ever hear is that Houston has some weird fascination with upping Dallas, yet Dallas doesn't care about Houston or what Houston thinks. GIVE ME A BREAK! Every person I know from Dallas has the same mindset when talking about Houston as every Houstonian has when discussing Dallas. It's called an inner state rivalry. It's natural to our country and exists in just about every state in the union.

It's true that some goons go to far in the debate and place a flame war where it shouldn't be, but to act as if Dallasites don't have the same or similar attitudes is extremely pompous. In fact one of the cliches Houstonians use to bash Dallas is them feeling as if they do no wrong, and that there far above the rudimentary minds of the poor feeble Houstonians who have an unhealthy fascination with upping Big D.

Yes this subject has been taken to far before and will be again, but why can't we understand that this rivalry is perfectly natural.

I agree that the rivalry exists. I'm not denying that. What I'm saying is that it's more one sided than it is a mutual rivalry. I'm sure all the Dallasites YOU know have an anti-Houston conversation every time YOU talk to them, because I'm sure YOU somehow bring it up or initiate it. What I'm saying is that rarely do you ever hear people in Dallas just sitting around Houston-bashing. Even in the Dallas and Fort Worth Forums there isn't any (or at least very little) Houston-bashing going on.... I know that in the FW forum, anytime Houston comes up mostly positive things are said about your city. FW people actually like Houston, in general. In the Dallas forum you are probably more likely to run into a few Houston-bashers... but they're not locking dozens of threads because it gets out of control or anything even near that level. In fact, there are threads in the San Antonio sub-forum that have been locked because the Houston vs Dallas flame war erupted over there. Houstonians seem to have a problem even discussing other cities without somehow turning the conversation back to how bad Dallas sucks. Now, THAT is ludicrous!!! And it also indicates that Houstonites have more of a tendency to bash Dallas than Dallasites tend to bash Houston. You certainly don't hear people in the Dallas or FW forums discussing Chicago or Philly and suddenly getting side-tracked by any Houston-bashing eruptions.

Now, I have a feeling I know a lot more Dallasites than you do - but maybe not - given the fact that I've grown up in DFW, always worked in Dallas, and spend most of my time there. I can honestly say that I've never had a Houston-bashing conversation pop up out of nowhere with any of the Dallasites I know... And, while sitting around in various parts of Dallas - Uptown, Turtle Creek, HP, etc - I have never heard a Houston-bashing session erupt from anyone around me. On the other hand, I can honestly say that I used to work with 3 women all of whom grew up in Houston and were very passionate about Houston... and all of them used to dog on Dallas regularly even though they hadn't lived there in Houston in over a decade. And no one had to say anything to inspire such unsolicited Dallas bashing. Now, with that said, I seriously doubt that those three women represent all of the Greater Houston Metro Area. I'm merely stating that from my observations - as an honest to goodness outside party (I consider myself a FWorthian, not a Dallasite) - it seems to me that Houstonites do in fact Dallas-bash more than Dallasites Houston-bash. It has just been an observation I have made.

I never said that Dallasites are perfect or blameless. I never said they NEVER Houston-bash or that they don't contribute to the rivalry between Houston and Dallas. I just think that Dallasites spend way more energy Fort Worth-bashing than they do bashing any other city, including Houston. Maybe Houstonites are just more vocal about their dislike for Dallas. Maybe the Dallasites simply chose to say nothing and voice their dislike of Houston by simply snubbing them. Who knows.

I think it's sort of like UT, A&M and Texas Tech. UT considers OU to be their biggest rival. A&M considers UT to be their biggest rival. Texas Tech Considers A&M to be their biggest rival... It's sort of the same thing between the large cities in Texas. Houston thinks Dallas is their biggest rival. Dallas thinks FW is their biggest rival. And San Antonio thinks Houston is their biggest rival.

There may be a few Houston posters who enjoy pointing out Dallas' faults. Hell, even I enjoy pointing out the warts of a city that boasts that it is so much better than anything and everything else.

However, with the exception of banking214, EVERY Dallas area poster on this board seems to jump on the Dallas v. Houston bandwagon. So, if we're just going by percentages, you Dallas area guys got us beat. You seem to be much more wound up about it.

I also notice that most Houston posters only seem to bash the uppity FOS aspects of Dallas, not the regular people, and certainly not Ft Worth. There is a lot to be said for the notion that Houstonians do not bash Dallas so much as the assholes who live there.

I agree that the rivalry exists. I'm not denying that. What I'm saying is that it's more one sided than it is a mutual rivalry. I'm sure all the Dallasites YOU know have an anti-Houston conversation every time YOU talk to them, because I'm sure YOU somehow bring it up or initiate it. What I'm saying is that rarely do you ever hear people in Dallas just sitting around Houston-bashing. Even in the Dallas and Fort Worth Forums there isn't any (or at least very little) Houston-bashing going on.... I know that in the FW forum, anytime Houston comes up mostly positive things are said about your city. FW people actually like Houston, in general. In the Dallas forum you are probably more likely to run into a few Houston-bashers... but they're not locking dozens of threads because it gets out of control or anything even near that level. In fact, there are threads in the San Antonio sub-forum that have been locked because the Houston vs Dallas flame war erupted over there. Houstonians seem to have a problem even discussing other cities without somehow turning the conversation back to how bad Dallas sucks. Now, THAT is ludicrous!!! And it also indicates that Houstonites have more of a tendency to bash Dallas than Dallasites tend to bash Houston. You certainly don't hear people in the Dallas or FW forums discussing Chicago or Philly and suddenly getting side-tracked by any Houston-bashing eruptions.

Now, I have a feeling I know a lot more Dallasites than you do - but maybe not - given the fact that I've grown up in DFW, always worked in Dallas, and spend most of my time there. I can honestly say that I've never had a Houston-bashing conversation pop up out of nowhere with any of the Dallasites I know... And, while sitting around in various parts of Dallas - Uptown, Turtle Creek, HP, etc - I have never heard a Houston-bashing session erupt from anyone around me. On the other hand, I can honestly say that I used to work with 3 women all of whom grew up in Houston and were very passionate about Houston... and all of them used to dog on Dallas regularly even though they hadn't lived there in Houston in over a decade.

Give me a break. In fact almost your entire post is proof that Dallasites are just as bad at this rivalry as those in stupid redneck Houston.

Your post consists of telling me that Dallas is not as bad as Houston, and that they have little animosity in regards to this rivalry. Jump on the reality bandwagon for the moment.

I find it interesting that I hear the above from almost every Dallas poster when this discussion starts up, then they in turn prove the opposite of what they claim by having more animosity than the Houstonians do. In other words I call a BS on this, the forum records prove it.

I have no bone to pick with Dallas, but I have noticed the difference between the two cities people, and this pompous attitude by Dallasites is why I chose to live in H-Town.

Further I find it interesting that Dallasites scream that there city is bigger than Houston because of it's surrounding areas like Fort Worth, then I'm told by you that Big D's biggest rival is Ft Worth. That doesn't add up. Also I know quite a few people in Dallas and I have never heard that Ft Worth is Dallas's biggest rival. In other words why would a city half the size be a rival?

My view is that those from Dallas are a lot more worried about Houston than they lead on, that's why there so impassioned when this flame war starts. Houston has risen very quickly, has become a more prodominate force internationally and is for the most part on top of her game.

Dallas is a nice city but as was stated above , it has a real problem with it's attitude.

Lastly, people from Houston are called Houstonians not Houstonites.

Do you realize what you just said? You said why would Dallas consider a city that's half it's size as a rival....If that's really the case,then Houston should not consider Dallas as a rival because Dallas is indeed half the size of Houston(pop). So why don't you be real and admitt that Willy1's post makes perfect sense. <_<

Do you realize what you just said? You said why would Dallas consider a city that's half it's size as a rival....If that's really the case,then Houston should not consider Dallas as a rival because Dallas is indeed half the size of Houston(pop). So why don't you be real and admitt that Willy1's post makes perfect sense. <_<

Sigh. :huh:

I do not consider Dallas a rival. I consider it an inland city that has too many residents who are too full of themselves. In fact, the only times I ever think of Dallas are when I root against the Cowboys or I read these ridiculous whiny posts. Otherwise, like most Houstonians, I don't think of Dallas at all. It's time was the 70s and 80s, and it is old news now.

I do not consider Dallas a rival.  I consider it an inland city that has too many residents who are too full of themselves.  In fact, the only times I ever think of Dallas are when I root against the Cowboys or I read these ridiculous whiny posts.  Otherwise, like most Houstonians, I don't think of Dallas at all.  It's time was the 70s and 80s, and it is old news now.

And the choir said, AMEN.

I do not consider Dallas a rival.  I consider it an inland city that has too many residents who are too full of themselves.  In fact, the only times I ever think of Dallas are when I root against the Cowboys or I read these ridiculous whiny posts.  Otherwise, like most Houstonians, I don't think of Dallas at all.  It's time was the 70s and 80s, and it is old news now.

Yeah....That's what they all say ;)

Archived