Will San Antonio Take Place Over Dallas For Good.

Dominax

Just came back from SA. As always, thier downtown and riverwalk are things that make me a little jealous. SA has always been on our favorite of cities list. Having said that, you cant help but notice that much of the rest of the city seems pretty poor. I know, you can find that in Houston too. But talking to some natives there, it became clear that the salaries there were on average below Houston's. We were dicussing engineer salaries, and maybe that is skewed in that SA doesnt have near the engineering presence that Houston has. But that in itself sort of suggests that SA is lacking in the higher salary department than Houston as a general rule. I'm sure someone here will look up some data to either back that up or not. So the gut feel at least for me is that SA would need to capture some of that higher salary industry before the citiy could realistically compete with Dallas. And I am not sure that is going to happen in our life time. I would think that with Austin being so close, and with it allready having so much mementum in the high-tech industry, that would starve any attempts by San Antonio to lure additional high-tech into the SA area. I'm talking R&D, research...not production plants. What are the odds of San Anotonio winning a competition with Austin for some new high-tech industry?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With FW's vicinty to Dallas we are experiencing the same thing.Dallas always seemed to lure the bigger and better companies in general,which made it hard for FW to.It's difficult it seems,but times are changing for FW.So S.A. just needs some patience.

San Antonio is a cultural wasteland.

Of all the discussions/debates on this thread, the comment that caught my eye was this one. Since my husband and I are considering a move to SA, could you please elaborate?

We were both in the entertainment industry (he - sound engineer; me - orchestra management & road manager) so some kind of access to the performing arts would be nice. It's not necessary (been there done that) but I know the arts can shape a city for the better.

Thanks.

Thanks, Torchlight.

I lived in SA during the late 80s/early 90s & actually worked for the symphony. We brought in many first class acts in both the classical world & pops. I know the symphony has had some very rough patches the last few years. I know when I was there, it was often a struggle financially for the orchestra to stay afloat. I've worked with both Houston & Dallas symphonies as well and it's evident that those orchestra benefit from the wealth & size of their respective cities & patrons.

I worked so much that I never really did get to enjoy the museums or other performing arts in SA. It's good to know that the McNay & SAMA are alive & well.

Would anyone happen to know if there is emphasis on bringing the arts or a performing arts center out towards the 'burbs? Or is SA still too small for that?

SA is a cultural wasteland. Sorry, that is strong. It isn't, however, Houston or Dallas or Fort Worth in this regard. There is much work to be done in SA. To brag about its size, you have to realize the lack of amenities that, when compared to the bigs, SA just doesn't have. But SA certainly has lots of cool things and I see a happening future and wish the Alamo City well. I'd rather spend the night on the SA Riverwalk than spend the night in Austin or Dallas; the Riverwalk is very unique.

I would imagine that SA's culture is more eclectic than it is cosmopolitan, and in that, it's a matter of "which appeals to you personally."

I also agree with 2112's early post that talked about the appearance of SA being a noticeably poorer city, although I think that's more because the older parts of the city, that is, within the 410 Loop are more visibly poorer than those inside Houston's Loop 610. There is a lot of wealthy, OTOH, outside the 410 Loop, especially heading due north along US 281.

I also wished SA's older areas were cleaner. Even as poorer neighborhoods go, trash and debris are far too prevalent, especially east and west of DT.

I would imagine that SA's culture is more eclectic than it is cosmopolitan, and in that, it's a matter of "which appeals to you personally."

I also agree with 2112's early post that talked about the appearance of SA being a noticeably poorer city, although I think that's more because the older parts of the city, that is, within the 410 Loop are more visibly poorer than those inside Houston's Loop 610. There is a lot of wealthy, OTOH, outside the 410 Loop, especially heading due north along US 281.

I also wished SA's older areas were cleaner. Even as poorer neighborhoods go, trash and debris are far too prevalent, especially east and west of DT.

But dispite SA being "noticeably" poorer, the inner city just seems to work out a little harmony. This might be ignorance, But I never recall any big racial/social class problems in San Antonio. Perhaps they have learned to get along?

• 4 weeks later...

And in the population "brag" if you will, San Antonio vaulted from way down the list to 7th largest in the nation. Houston, naturally, jumped from small to 4th largest in the nation. And, Dallas, :( has slipped to almost the 10th spot (they are hanging in at 9th). The good news for Dallas is that the metro is hot and sizzling at 6 mil. with 16 counties. Houston, with its bordering metros of College Station, Beaumont-Golden Triangle and Lake Charles (adjacent metros) clocks in at the 6 mil. mark as well. San Antonio and Austin are starting to get big too. I am not sure, if you drew a circle around that beautiful area of the state, what the population would be. Anyone got a guess? 2.5 mil?

Dallas will likely move to No 8 by next census. It has only fallen from a brief stint at 8, back to number 9 where it was before.

But dispite SA being "noticeably" poorer, the inner city just seems to work out a little harmony. This might be ignorance, But I never recall any big racial/social class problems in San Antonio. Perhaps they have learned to get along?

Despite what we think of as diversity, you have to remember that SA is not a super diverse city. I would not expect there to be as many social conflict problems.

Dallas will likely move to No 8 by next census. It has only fallen from a brief stint at 8, back to number 9 where it was before.

That is an interesting observation. Dallas is growing slower than any city in the top 10 (11,000 in the last 4 years). What is occurring that suggests that the city will make up a 42,000 population deficit in the next several years?

I think it's sort of like UT, A&M and Texas Tech. UT considers OU to be their biggest rival. A&M considers UT to be their biggest rival. Texas Tech Considers A&M to be their biggest rival... It's sort of the same thing between the large cities in Texas. Houston thinks Dallas is their biggest rival. Dallas thinks FW is their biggest rival. And San Antonio thinks Houston is their biggest rival.
Wow what about Baylor? We can't forget about good o'l baylor.

I think it's sort of like UT, A&M and Texas Tech. UT considers OU to be their biggest rival. A&M considers UT to be their biggest rival. Texas Tech Considers A&M to be their biggest rival... It's sort of the same thing between the large cities in Texas. Houston thinks Dallas is their biggest rival. Dallas thinks FW is their biggest rival. And San Antonio thinks Houston is their biggest rival.

Huh? The Aggie/Longhorn rivalry will always be the grandaddy of them all. Texas/OU is big, but not bigger. Texas Tech just wants a rival to prove they belong in the same conversations with TAMU/UT/OU, they don't.

Huh? The Aggie/Longhorn rivalry will always be the grandaddy of them all. Texas/OU is big, but not bigger. Texas Tech just wants a rival to prove they belong in the same conversations with TAMU/UT/OU, they don't.

You got that all right!!!!

But maybe now TCU and TT can be rivals.....SMU cant hold a stick to TCU,so TT can give TCU a run for their money every now(not this year) and again.

Archived