On Leong Merchants' Association At 801 Chartres St.

lockmat

I cannot find this through google.

San Antonio developer James De La Garza is conducting a feasibility study of the Leong Merchants’ Association Building in downtown Houston to re-position it as a full-service hotel.

De La Garza, who is CEO of Ocean2Ocean Development LLC, says the building is directly across from the George R. Brown Convention Center and is within minutes of ’ Minute Maid Park and the Houston Dynamo stadium.

The facility is a 21,348-square-foot, three-story masonry building with room to add on new floors.

Read more: Ocean2Ocean eying downtown Houston property | San Antonio Business Journal

• Like 1

I was beginning to think it may be on the other side of 59. Guess it threw me off when it said it was across the "street" from GRB. Thanks!

...one of the bldgs. I grew up with & have always been fascinated with. It's mentioned in the Houston Architecture Guide,

yr. built, 1951, had retail, office & apartment space.

If the deal does go through, hope the bldg. doesn't lose it's very unique personality.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

That'd be pretty cool, though kind of weird to have a hotel so close to a feeder. I just hope it keeps a lot of its personality.

The location is much better than the other mentioned in another thread several months ago. At least in this way, it would be a BIT more accessable to the rest of downtown. The other location would have been a major hike.

Funny how a few hundred feet make all the difference as far as the location goes.

• 2 years later...

I always liked driving past that building on the freeway. I used to eat at the Sun Deluxe, which was either in that building, or very close.

The late, lamented To Chau, a pretty good Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant, used to be in the strip center directly behind this building. IIRC, To Chau used to have a sign either on the front or the side of the On Leong building that was clearly visible from the freeway. Probably a good idea, as you'd never have known it was there unless you happened to be driving down that section of Rusk.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Leong Merchants’ Association Building To Be Hotel?
  • The title was changed to On Leong Merchants' Association At 801 Chartres St.