Hey guys. I finally got a chance to do a drive-by photo shoot of the Metropole.

As seen from the parking lot next door (the east side of the building):

Met1.jpg

A tad closer up:

Met2.jpg

Initial drive-by, going west on Richmond:

Met3.jpg

Fancy signage, eastbound on Richmond, the west side of the building:

Met4.jpg

This is where I'm sure that 4-story building is going to be; on the Edloe (west) side.

I'm terribly sorry these aren't any better. The only time in the day to take pics of this building is on my way to work and traipsing about a construction site in heels isn't ideal for photographing a construction site.

the dirt to the west is a different deal:

Morgan Group is tearing down a small office building at the corner of Edloe and Richmond to develop a high-end apartment complex.

When completed in 2006, the project will have 295 units with rents averaging $1.40 per square foot, about $1,400 a month for a 1,000-foot unit.

if i get the chance, ill take pictures of the different signs/construction companies. i know one is morgan but cannot recall the name of the construction company doing metropole.

Word is there's only 139 units in the four-story building and 150 units in the big one. Perhaps the ones in the larger building will be larger 2-3 bedroom units and the ones in the four-story building will be efficiencies and 1 bedroom units. This is just my assumption.

Any confirmations? Denials?

Word is there's only 139 units in the four-story building and 150 units in the big one. Perhaps the ones in the larger building will be larger 2-3 bedroom units and the ones in the four-story building will be efficiencies and 1 bedroom units. This is just my assumption.

Any confirmations? Denials?

I agree with that. Also the ones in the current office building will probably have higher ceilings as office floor to ceiling ratios tend to be high. Also looking at the rendering the new four story building is much shorter in terms of each floors height. So like you said those may be the cheaper units.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Any updates on this project?

First off, the four story building is being built by the Morgan Group and I believe opened up today. Their rents are starting off around $1.56 psf and will be rising. It is for rent only and I don't see it being converted to condos.

Metropole seems to be moving along as planned. I live around the corner and will update when something substantial happens.

It is for rent only and I don't see it being converted to condos.

They try to double dip, They will do rentals at the beginning while everything is brand new, then afer 3 to 5 years, you can bet they might sell them off for condos.

They try to double dip, They will do rentals at the beginning while everything is brand new, then afer 3 to 5 years, you can bet they might sell them off for condos.

uh, you know morgan is a merchant builder and has never sold a houston deal to a converter, right?

also, you will not see apartments being converted into condos in 3 - 5 years. those days are behind us.

:mellow:

"also, you will not see apartments being converted into condos in 3 - 5 years. those days are behind us"

And, in front of us. Who knows what interest rates will be doing in 3-5 years? I've got to imagine there will always be enough new money to come in and do condo conversions, depending on interest rates and the overall real estate market.

"also, you will not see apartments being converted into condos in 3 - 5 years. those days are behind us"

And, in front of us. Who knows what interest rates will be doing in 3-5 years? I've got to imagine there will always be enough new money to come in and do condo conversions, depending on interest rates and the overall real estate market.

real estate is a constant, never ending cycle.

historically, when interest rates go up and the housing market becomes flat or becomes depressed, the first thing to get hit are condos.

i cannot predict the future but those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it in the future.

h_contract.gif

uh, you know morgan is a merchant builder and has never sold a houston deal to a converter, right?

also, you will not see apartments being converted into condos in 3 - 5 years. those days are behind us.

Morgan will not sell, it is not in their business model. Should they, maybe...only time will tell. But it isn't going to happen.

On to the Metropole. They are converting the Tower(already exists) and building a Mid-Rise/Apartment complex that will be next door. Below is the website...

www.metropoleliving.com

real estate is a constant, never ending cycle.

historically, when interest rates go up and the housing market becomes flat or becomes depressed, the first thing to get hit are condos.

i cannot predict the future but those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it in the future.

h_contract.gif

We could go into a long discussion about the political and world events of the early 80s. The Cold War, Paul Voelker, oil embargos and the shah of Iran, but I guess that's for another discussion. I'm just telling you it's a widely held opinion, and only an opinion, that we aren't going to touch double digit long-term rates for a very long time. Of course, who knows what the future holds. I don't pretend to.

Morgan will not sell, it is not in their business model. Should they, maybe...only time will tell. But it isn't going to happen.

huh?!? all morgan does is build and sell - they are merchant builders (i.e. they build with 100% intention to sell).

3000 sage? gone. memorial heights? gone. pin oak? gone.

the ONLY reason they havent sold smith st. is because of the garage lease with specs. while it is extremely successful compared to their original underwriting, it is almost impossible to underwrite based on their ask, the ground lease, and size of the deal (only 152-units).

I'm just telling you it's a widely held opinion, and only an opinion, that we aren't going to touch double digit long-term rates for a very long time. Of course, who knows what the future holds. I don't pretend to.

no one knows where interest rates are going to be in 3 - 5 years, im just saying condos are extremly intrest rate sensitive. historically when interest rates go up and the residential market becomes flat or depressed, the first thing to crash are condos. most condo buyers are doing 5 year arms and are banking on appreciation....

but as you said, thats a completely different subject and this post has gone far enough ot ;)

Since the project is a go - I'll post the school stuff below.

Anyway, the old and new buildings are as different as night and day - The old building is bland while the new looks so flashy. I'd like to see how this turns out.

I've been told that Houston ISD loves condominiums; they get few kids and they get a lot of taxable money!

Schools (Houston ISD):

* Poe Elementary School - http://es.houstonisd.org/poees/

* Lanier Middle School - http://ms.houstonisd.org/lanierms/

* Lamar High School - http://hs.houstonisd.org/lamarhs/

Profiles:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Poe_ES.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lanier_MS.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lamar_HS.pdf

Edited by VicMan

• 6 months later...

The website is underwhelming and it concerns me that they seem so bent on NOT showing any pictures of the exterior. Take a look at the floor plans, especially in the tower. They're very strange in shape, but I don't understand why when looking at the box like exterior. Somebody want to snap a picture going by one day?

• The title was changed to Metropole: Multifamily At 3616 Richmond Ave.
  • The topic was unlocked