Historic Houston Skate Rinks

MelTex2003

I just found this site... and I am hoping everyone could help with ideas for a venue location for the newly formed Houston Roller Derby league.

Our budget is tight, and we will need a large open space centrally located. A warehouse would be ideal. We are going to be researching every suggestion, and it sounds like you guys could really provide a few leads for us.

If you want to know more about the derby CNN did a report on the league in New York: http://media.mutemuse.com/ggrd/cnn_derby_512K.mov.

Thank you,

Melissa

• Like 1

I'm sure we'd love the astrodome!! But I doubt we can afford it.

We need a wide open space for the track, I don't have the exact dimensions in front of me, and space for a minimum of 1500 spectators. That's how many fans usually show up at the Austin games by the end of the season.

I will research the exact space requirement, and post that as soon as I have it.

I'm sure we'd love the astrodome!!  But I doubt we can afford it.

We need a wide open space for the track, I don't have the exact dimensions in front of me, and space for a minimum of 1500 spectators.  That's how many fans usually show up at the Austin games by the end of the season.

I will research the exact space requirement, and post that as soon as I have it.

Sounds pretty cool!! I remember the Rollerjam days on tv a few years ago, but I had no idea that there were local leagues like that.

Yo, does it have to be, like, indoors? 'Cause, like, aren't they going to build an huge outdoor skate park right outside downtown? If I were the derby league, I'd talk to whoever were in charge of facilities within the park, and work with them to build a facility or pavillion or something.

Heck, on off-days, it could be a concert hall, too! :-)

I'm down with some Roller Derby action, it's campy and fun and it probably hurts when you fall too... more real than wrestling! Plus, hot skating babes!! I saw these women at the Art Car Parade this year, I wish them the best of luck!

www.pushhouston.com

We do support the new skate park being created, but it is more focused towards skate boarders right now. We do not see an outdoor rink as being accomodating. Too many factors. We go at high speeds, and if something were to be on the rink, like leaves or twigs, they could easly cause more falls and accidents.

The Houston league has just formed in the last few months. We are still recruiting members, and will have our debut bout hopefully near October, with our first season game starting next February.

WHAT WE NEED -- BARE MINIMUM:

-- minimum 6,000 square feet

--The external dimensions of our track size are 56' x 95' and the internal dimensions are 32' x 72'

WHAT WE WANT -- THE IDEAL:

-- 16,000 to 20,000 square feet including office space

-- To fund this, we will require a real estate partner

-- Long term lease

-- 1,500 - 2,000 person capacity

-- Space must meet fire marshall's approval for public assembly

Thank you for any and all suggestions! Hope to see you guys at the games!

Melissa

• 6 months later...

Noob here and derby girl :D

We are in dire need to find a home for our games. We have been looking for a property that would fit our requirements for nearly a year now. You would think in this huge city it would be 'oh so' easy but not for us. Maybe someone has a secret place that we just haven't come across. Due tell!!! HELP! Our season is starting in March and need to get rolling on the search. It can be WHATEVER; club, warehouse, roller rink, VFW hall, convention center, vacant buildings, ETC.... We have tried well over 100 places and no luck. :( We are willing to pay $3,000 to $5,000 for a match (don't quote me but I'm almost 100% sure). Our exhibition bout was at the Pasadena Convention Center if that gives a visual to anyone(http://www.ci.pasadena.tx.us/citycalendar.htm#convention **checky mid page**) . Wish it were closer in town though...

Requirements are:

1) has to be covered

2) no obstructions

3) preferably seats more than 1000

4) has bathrooms

5) doesn't have a problem serving alcohol

6) has to have A/C

7) preferably in the 610 loop

8) has to have lighting

9) stays open late (11:00PM ish)

10) 15,000 sq. ft. minimum

11) a hard surface floor, like concrete or wood or linoleum, that is at least 60’ by 100’

thanks a bunch for even looking at this!

gerd

*Mary Choppins*

www.houstonrollerderby.com

Edited by elgerdo

HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH ! ! ! Now all we need is the place and Paul Bosch to come back from the grave and promote it. I will definately help out on this.

Ummmm, Miss Choppins, have you guys derbied against that Austin team that is on Rollergirls ?

I know you would like to be in Houston, but have you considered the Murrell Center here in Katy, Almost a perfect venue for y'all if you already have the rink.

Edited by TJones

HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH ! ! ! Now all we need is the place and Paul Bosch to come back from the grave and promote it. I will definately help out on this.

Ummmm, Miss Choppins, have you guys derbied against that Austin team that is on Rollergirls ?

I know you would like to be in Houston, but have you considered the Murrell Center here in Katy, Almost a perfect venue for y'all if you already have the rink.

hahahaha...Paul Bosch!? Isn't that the guy who doing wrestling? HA! We would totally need him :) We are actually looking for an announcer as well. We dropped our head announcer. We will be going up against the Austin in a couple years, I'm sure. BUT not the "banked" track that you see on the A&E show but the "flat" track. There is actually only like 3 banked tracks in the nation and 40 flat track. And thanks for the suggestion on Murrell Center. I didn't see it on our xls list so I will be giving them a call.

Goodness, Miss. Choppins....if half the Roller-ladies are as 'easy-on-the-eyes' as you, I may have to become a 'roller-groupie'!

Your site shows an event in early Feb. at the Axiom?...never actaully been there, but what are the issues with that venue?

Good luck with the search

Edited by Markus

Goodness, Miss. Choppins....if half the Roller-ladies are as 'easy-on-the-eyes' as you, I may have to become a 'roller-groupie'!

Your site shows an event in early Feb. at the Axiom?...never actaully been there, but what are the issues with that venue?

Good luck with the search

.....that is a fundraiser that is coming up. We will have bands and will show our first bout from the Pasadena Con. Center....but the Axiom will not hold our sq. footage and I believe it has obstructions.

thanks for the compliment :blush: ....you will just have to see for yourself about the other girls :) . Come out and meet the rest of the ladies on Feb 4th!

Thanks! I believe that place was called on but I will double check. Mel "Madame M" , the Dairy Ashford Roller Rink speed coach knows Chad, I'm sure. I believe I heard her talking about him a few times and how much he is a rock star on skates. She has been skating for nearly 20 yrs. now!

Wow, I didn't even know Houston had a rollerderby team, cool. And the Merrill Center would be great, but I will keep my eyes peeled.

peel those eyes to something in the 610 area :D thanks!

Have you called on the Trading Fair II on 610 South? I believe their upstairs is available to rent out. I know concerts have been held there by promoters in the past.

This place is on our list but there is something stalling us to moving on it. I seen on our xls file that there must be some kind of obstruction 30' apart. Polls? I'll ask the production rep what is up with it. Thanks for the heads up though!

no doubt that Mary Choppins is a looker... many of the girls are....

funny enough I know Tempestua from the burlesque team.. she used to bartend at bowling alley I once frequented with some friends...

sounds like you guys have a pretty well organized league and have probably exhausted every option.... not that I have even the slightest clue, but are there buildings like you need near the I-10 Target development near downtown?? what about renting out that Kicks soccer facility on Shepherd/Durham? something closer to the Montrose/Midtown area would be ideal, but me thinks there isn't much there.... hmmm.. this isn't an easy problem..

oh yeah.. and if any of you have checked out the Rollergirls show that documents the Austin league and liked the metal being played during the matches and credits, the band is called Hognose and they are on my old guitarists record label based out of Austin.... arclight records.... he's got some very cool bands so far for a 2 year old record label... they're getting play on this show and Hognose, Book of Knots and Super Heavy Goat A*s were all on several episodes of The Real World: Austin on MTV...

good luck with the search.. I'll keep my eyes open and maybe drive through the Heights area on my way home today..... might be something there....

• 2 weeks later...
hahahaha...Paul Bosch!? Isn't that the guy who doing wrestling? HA! We would totally need him :) We are actually looking for an announcer as well. We dropped our head announcer. We will be going up against the Austin in a couple years, I'm sure. BUT not the "banked" track that you see on the A&E show but the "flat" track. There is actually only like 3 banked tracks in the nation and 40 flat track. And thanks for the suggestion on Murrell Center. I didn't see it on our xls list so I will be giving them a call.

Mary,

I am also a skater; I am a speed skater and skate with Madame M in that forum. If you can please get her my e-mail address and have her contact me ASAP. I am in the process of helping out the Atlanta Rollergirls and other coaching prospects and need to contact her.

Thank you for your time and I apologize for using this venue for my on needs.

Juliet

jupitwo@hotmail.com

• The title was changed to Historic Houston Skate Rinks