International Foods In Houston

Recently, I've been obsessed with Jungle Jim's International Market, a mega-sized supermarket in the Cincinnati area that, rather than the size of an H-E-B, or even a Wal-Mart Supercenter, is about the size of an IKEA. It has distinct sections for foods, including "England", "India", "Germany", "Asia", "Hispanic", "Middle Eastern", and "Italy". My uncle, who lives in Dallas, say that all those types of foods are available in that area (except, of course, not in the same place). Unfortunately, I live in College Station, with Houston being much closer.

So where exactly can one find all sorts of international foods in Houston? Hispanic and Asian shouldn't be too hard, as Bellaire area has a large Asian market (or two), and I think Hispanic is pretty much covered (where exactly, though?). England, as for that, the only place I know is British Isles in Rice Village, but I'm not too sure on the others. I fear that finding international foods in Houston require traipsing around town, but where are the best places to find international groceries in Houston?

Well, I know if an Indian (dot, not feather) grocery store over on Hilllcroft @ 59, A japanese one (where I frequent) on westheimer @ Kirkwood, next to Molly's.

as far as other stuff, you'd need to probably ask some Expats. Maybe their respective embassy will help?

There's lots of Middle Eastern food in the HIllcroft/Harwin area. Korean on Long Point. The various Central and SOuth American areas have places around town. There's a couple of places that sell items from Italy, including an Italian restaurant on Washington whose name escapes me.

Some Fiesta stores have a small section of international foods. Also, there's the HEB Central Market on Westheimer @ Weslayan, where the imported foods are side-by-side with domestic ones. Try the Phoenicia Food Market (on Westheimer, I believe) and Spec's Flagship store in Midtown as well.

It would help to know exactly what you're looking for. Do you want canned, frozen or ready-to-eat items, or are you preparing dishes from a particular country yourself? Many basic ingredients for the cuisine of other countries are the same ones we use in the U.S., but methods of cooking, seasonings, sauces, etc., are different.

Not interested in restaurants, more like grocery stores selling goods.

My brother lives near a bunch of Middle Eastern-type shops (including small grocery-type stores) except he lives in Michigan...

Then definitely try Phoenicia for whatever you need -- friends of mine from various Middle Eastern countries love shopping there!

• 2 months later...

Say, does anyone know what happened to the Phoenicia that was supposed to open at One Park Place?

British Isles in West U. You can also buy them off of their website.

http://britishislesonline.com/

BTW, just noticed that British Isles also carries Vegemite.

I recently started selling my family's Jerusalem spices (the company is Old City Trading Co) at JuanMon's Internaitional Sandwich Shop in Midtown Houston. Just let me know if you have any questions. The spices are mainly blends.

http://www.oldcitytrading.com/

http://de-de.faceboo...shouston?v=wall

does anyone know the difference between vegemite and marmite? I've seen marmite at a few Kroger stores.

An English boyfriend once told me that marmite used to made from the yeasty goo scraped from the bottom of

beer barrels. (that's why it's so healthy!) barf. I mean, I know the war years were tough and everything, but there's no need to go making sandwiches out of that stuff.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about the difference. The local H-E-B in College Station does carry Marmite, but it's really expensive, something like $6 for a little container. However, I want to try Vegemite. I think that British Isles has it for a little bit less (http://britishislesonline.com/search.aspx?find=vegemite), but that also means paying the shipping costs.

Well, let's see...I want to go to Houston later this month to see my cousin and his fiancé, as well as visiting some places like BI, but that also means fighting traffic on 290. Hmm....

I don't know about the difference. The local H-E-B in College Station does carry Marmite, but it's really expensive, something like $6 for a little container. However, I want to try Vegemite. I think that British Isles has it for a little bit less (http://britishisleso...x?find=vegemite), but that also means paying the shipping costs.

Well, let's see...I want to go to Houston later this month to see my cousin and his fiancé, as well as visiting some places like BI, but that also means fighting traffic on 290. Hmm....

I've seen Vegamite at our local HEB in West Houston (Kirkwood and Westheimer). There are a lot of expat Brits and others here due to the oil business so both HEB and Kroger have fair sized international sections. If you're going to be here for a visit, might as well brave the traffic and hit Central Market and then Rice Village. After visiting BI, you can hang out in Rice Village (check out the Chocolate Bar) or trek over to Herman Park via Rice U.

Only slightly off-topic: there are regional American foods which are difficult to find in Houston.

I miss Zweigle's Hot Dogs, Nance's Mustard, and Heluva Good cheeses and dips. I'm pretty sure that other transplants have hometown favorites which would be worth a special trip.

Only slightly off-topic: there are regional American foods which are difficult to find in Houston.

I miss Zweigle's Hot Dogs, Nance's Mustard, and Heluva Good cheeses and dips. I'm pretty sure that other transplants have hometown favorites which would be worth a special trip.

True. What about good cheesesteaks (not Texadelphia or Philly Connection), or pasties (no, not what you're thinking...the food)?

I might be wrong, but I could swear I saw Heluva Good dips at HEB.

Well, I saw a 4.4 oz container of Marmite at the local H-E-B, with about $1.50 an ounce. It also has carrot extract, which I don't think Vegemite does.

Here's another curiosity that is definitely not in College Station, and probably not even Houston:

A celery-flavored soft drink that has existed for over a century: Cel-Ray!

Confirmed Heluva Good dip sighting at HEB, Westheimer and Kirkwood. It's on sale too!

Well, I saw a 4.4 oz container of Marmite at the local H-E-B, with about $1.50 an ounce. It also has carrot extract, which I don't think Vegemite does.

Here's another curiosity that is definitely not in College Station, and probably not even Houston:

A celery-flavored soft drink that has existed for over a century: Cel-Ray!

Cel-Ray is available at both Katz's Deli and Kenny and Ziggy's. If you've never been to Kenny and Ziggy's they also have a ginormous eclair.

I first encountered Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray at The Bowery downtown ca. 1972/3. Went awfully well with corned beef or pastrami on a kaiser roll as I recall. I'm sure it was also available at Alfred's.

I have bought it by the six pack in Houston tho it's been so long I can't remember for sure where - probably Spec's or an upscale grocery store, especially out around Meyerland. Actually, I think I bought the short-lived diet version, which was a mistake.

Though associated with Jewish delis and Israeli restaurants and groceries it is made in the US.

Archived