The Houston Look

Admit it. If you hear someone's from New York City, you expect them to somehow reflect that city. Likewise with London, or Los Angeles, or Paris (France).

So, what should an outsider expect from a Houstonian? Is there a distinctive 'Houston' stamp? The crude expectation seems to involve hats, boots and bravado, breasts and blondes. True, sometimes; but representative?

Is there a particular 'look' which we enjoy, or is our diversity our only common trait?

Admit it. If you hear someone's from New York City, you expect them to somehow reflect that city. Likewise with London, or Los Angeles, or Paris (France).

So, what should an outsider expect from a Houstonian? Is there a distinctive 'Houston' stamp? The crude expectation seems to involve hats, boots and bravado, breasts and blondes. True, sometimes; but representative?

Is there a particular 'look' which we enjoy, or is our diversity our only common trait?

This reminds me of the HEB guy telling the story that everyone he met said "This is Houston, We're eclectic. The Design for the store should reflect that." then the HEB guy would ask for more specific details and no one could give him any. . . . . . . . . . He told that story at ever venue where I heard heard him speak.

• Like 2

houston is unique in that it lacks a specific stereotype. i've lived here my entire life. people who are new to the area are surprised that i'm from houston. the same people will "think they get it" when we are run off the road by a rough neck in a big 4x4 truck......."we ARE in texas." they'll say..........but run around the inner loop and hit a funky restaurant, coffee shop, live music venue, and the same people will be surprised......."i had no idea houston had this kind of culture.".

i do not think houston has a "look" or a specific design aesthetic. we are the bastard children of no culture in particular who seem to do well in good and bad times. we like comfort and ease, clean and basic, durable, weatherbeaten. we want quality when it counts (and willing to pay for it), but not so much when it doesn't matter.

i realize there are wannabe types who relish everything new and expensive, but i do not view this type of person as authentically houstonian. if houston has a style, it is both walmart and neiman marcus. one does not exist without the other in our world. we are neither hicktown usa nor are we an uptown dallas haute mess. (i love you dallas!).

So, what should an oInutsider expect from a Houstonian? Is there a distinctive 'Houston' stamp? The crude expectation seems to involve hats, boots and bravado, breasts and blondes. True, sometimes; but representative?

If by 'look' you mean a personal style, I would say not at all. That said, I think Houston should milk the cowboy stereotype for all it's worth. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Who doesn't like cowboys?

In terms of the physical environment, I think the look of Houston is defined by the miles of development along freeway feeder roads.

• Like 1

houston is unique in that it lacks a specific stereotype. i've lived here my entire life. people who are new to the area are surprised that i'm from houston. the same people will "think they get it" when we are run off the road by a rough neck in a big 4x4 truck......."we ARE in texas." they'll say..........but run around the inner loop and hit a funky restaurant, coffee shop, live music venue, and the same people will be surprised......."i had know idea houston had this kind of culture.".

I just moved from Chicago (home to several great n.hoods) to Dallas and it took me a while to figure out what I miss about Chicago...It's the n.hoods, and by n.hoods I'm also speaking about a sense of Community and pride, as when you're in certain areas you get a certain vibe. Not just a feeling of "Okay this is nice and this is the name of the n.hood, but it looks just like the other n.hood in a continuous suburb"..Hence Dallas. I love how new, small and clean Dallas is, but its n.hoods lack a certain edge and personality. (And yes I've been to Oak Cliff, Lakewood/"M" Streets and Deep Ellum....not really impressed w/any sense of community or character)

With that being said I have to say the noticeable thing that I miss about Houston is that it actually has a unique set of special Neighborhoods!!! Seriously, sometimes you don't notice certain things until you don't have them anymore. Houston is lucky to have The Heights, Rice Military/Wash Ave., Montrose/W.Gray, West U.,Midtown, Upper Kirby, East end. These places all have some type of personality, loyalty and Character. People can actually have loyalty to an area that isn't a River Oaks/Bellaire/Memorial, etc and that's the same reason I believe people are loyal to HAIF ...That's Houston to me, not the best place to visit if you don't know anyone, but a great place to live.

i realize there are wannabe types who relish everything new and expensive, but i do not view this type of person as authentically houstonian. if houston has a style, it is both walmart and neiman marcus. one does not exist without the other in our world. we are neither hicktown usa nor are we an uptown dallas haute mess. (i love you dallas!).

Ha, I live in Uptown and actually like the density, but can't wait to move away because there's a huge lack of residential "non-apartment" places in the area (maybe 80% apartment complexes). The other thing I noticed about Dallas is the amount of people wearing COWBOY BOOTS...This is really TEXAS!:rolleyes: Houston reminds me of Chuck Taylors and Polo shirts.

Edited by sowanome

If by 'look' you mean a personal style, I would say not at all. That said, I think Houston should milk the cowboy stereotype for all it's worth. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Who doesn't like cowboys?

In terms of the physical environment, I think the look of Houston is defined by the miles of development along freeway feeder roads.

I don't think Houston really has a cowboy stereotype. DFW to me feels more like that. Especially from its freeways since they have a lot of wide open spaces along them. Houston's freeways are more built up.

I don't think Houston really has a cowboy stereotype. DFW to me feels more like that. Especially from its freeways since they have a lot of wide open spaces along them. Houston's freeways are more built up.

Fort Worth should champion the cowboy stereotype. Dallas can go with the pretentious bible-thumper stereotype. Houston doesn't really have a distinct personality, which is part of the reason I like it.

The blonde, busty and bejeweled look seems especially prevalent in Houston (especially among women.)

I think that that comment reflects more on the circles that you run in than it does on Houston. Besides, is this thread about stereotyping Houstonians or just white people residing this side of the Mississippi in general? Any serious attempt at defining a 'Houston Look' would entail segmenting the responses according to ethnicity and subculture. ...after all, Houston is a veritable buffet of multicultural rednecks. It's like Baskin Robbins Thirty-One Flavors.

The rednecks from Katy aren't the same as the rednecks from the East End, aren't the same as the rednecks from Fifth Ward, aren't the same as the rednecks from Channelview, aren't the same as the rednecks from San Leon, aren't the same as the rednecks from Hempstead, and aren't the same as the rednecks from Bellaire.

One might argue that I've failed to mention the stodgy demographic influence of the oil & gas sector or the quirky characteristics of the 'Inner Loop' neighborhoods, however I would posit that engineers and hipster vegetarians/vegans are qualitatively similar to an zygote or possibly a carrot in terms of their capacity to harbor a soul. It's more practical to write them off completely than to try and factor their influence into a calculus used to estimate their impact on local culture.

• Like 1

I think that that comment reflects more on the circles that you run in than it does on Houston. Besides, is this thread about stereotyping Houstonians or just white people residing this side of the Mississippi in general? Any serious attempt at defining a 'Houston Look' would entail segmenting the responses according to ethnicity and subculture. ...after all, Houston is a veritable buffet of multicultural rednecks. It's like Baskin Robbins Thirty-One Flavors.

The rednecks from Katy aren't the same as the rednecks from the East End, aren't the same as the rednecks from Fifth Ward, aren't the same as the rednecks from Channelview, aren't the same as the rednecks from San Leon, aren't the same as the rednecks from Hempstead, and aren't the same as the rednecks from Bellaire.

One might argue that I've failed to mention the stodgy demographic influence of the oil & gas sector or the quirky characteristics of the 'Inner Loop' neighborhoods, however I would posit that engineers and hipster vegetarians/vegans are qualitatively similar to an zygote or possibly a carrot in terms of their capacity to harbor a soul. It's more practical to write them off completely than to try and factor their influence into a calculus used to estimate their impact on local culture.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the engineer description. Working at an oil services company, I can certainly testify to this. I think this is why Houston probably lags behind to other cities in what many here view as progression. Most all that I know live in the 'burbs. They dress pretty normal or dorky. The Russians that come over dress much more stylish. But most are just normal people. Basically, they're usually really nice, but they're also kind of dorky. They're not really concerned with urbanism or living in a condo. Plus, a lot of them are from the south, especially Louisiana, so there are a lot of rednecks living here in Houston. Once again, they're not the most urban people you'll ever meet.

Edited by lockmat