Some exerpts:

...Houston's new Museum of Drawing, the product of longtime local gallerist Apama Mackey and Alex Bigley. Expect the institution to spin new takes on drawing, its origins and its future in contemporary art.

While the museum's focus will be a dialogue with international museums, for the moment Mackey is focussing on building awareness in Houston, starting this Thursday with a Spacetaker Cultured Cocktails fundraising event at Boheme.

We'll get a more concrete idea plan for the museum in May or June of next year. In the meantime, Mackey & Co. are working on grant writing and solicitations. In terms of the future site, Mackey believes the options are endless, from occupying a warehouse in the vicinity of Fairview and Taft streets to building a new space in the Museum District.

Because a Museum District location facilitates exchange of visitors between different institutions, a Main Street address is most ideal.

"I don't want to make it harder on people," Mackey says, emphasizing MOD's ethos of accessibility. Alex Bigley will be heading up planning and education, masterminding student internships, artist-in-residency programs and everything in between.

Once the ball is rolling and MOD mounts exhibitions of "international drawing rock stars," in Mackey's words, the museum will also reel in some local talent to display.

"I think this city is so vast, and we could use even five more museums," Mackey says. "I love just adding to the mix of it."

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/11-08-10-there-a-new-houston-museum-on-the-drawing-board-meet-mod/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Museum of Drawing