Tacos A Go Go On At 2912 White Oak Dr.

Heightsite

• 1 month later...

What reservations do you have? Are you not 100% sure about this particular restaurant or the influx of new development? Just curious.

My take (full disclosure: I live within walking distance to all this): there's a lot of empty real estate on White Oak, and not much of it particularly attractive. I'm happy to see these new, budget-minded restaurants move in rather than more bars. And with the new stationary store, I'm hoping to see more retail pop up, too. And I really like the fact that the tenants are moving in to the existing buildings rather seeing them torn down for new development. To be honest, I really had no idea what would move in to the building D'Amico's is taking over. It's a pretty ugly building with hardly any windows and surrounded by a parking lot with no landscaping. Should be interesting to see what they do with it.

What reservations do you have? Are you not 100% sure about this particular restaurant or the influx of new development? Just curious.

My take (full disclosure: I live within walking distance to all this): there's a lot of empty real estate on White Oak, and not much of it particularly attractive. I'm happy to see these new, budget-minded restaurants move in rather than more bars. And with the new stationary store, I'm hoping to see more retail pop up, too. And I really like the fact that the tenants are moving in to the existing buildings rather seeing them torn down for new development. To be honest, I really had no idea what would move in to the building D'Amico's is taking over. It's a pretty ugly building with hardly any windows and surrounded by a parking lot with no landscaping. Should be interesting to see what they do with it.

Well, I'll probably get all kinds of insults hurled my way for saying this, but I've already been personally insulted and sent hate emails from members of this forum, so why try to play nice now? D'Amico's is a Rice VIllage cornerstone. They've been in business for 14 years and never opened a 2nd location but now are moving to the Heights. West U is beautiful and has its positives, but I don't want to live there. So, while I am 100% thrilled with the overall development of White Oak and 95% happy about this specific restaurant- because I do like the food and the casual environment- I have 5% reservations about what this means symbolically for the Heights. Call it Heights-centric but I think we all have a vision, whether our neighbor agrees or not, about what we want our neighborhood to look like. Again, it's a tiny reservation (that I probably shouldn't have brought up) but West U just isn't mine.

Edited by heights_yankee

No insults from this direction...

To your point, though, I sort of feel the same way about Barryhill's on 11th and Colina's on 19th. For whatever reason, I feel surprised to see both of them when i drive by (and that's pretty often), thinking of their River Oaks and Village locations, respectively. That said, they seem to do pretty well and from what I've heard, the Barryhill's is really popular with Heights families with kids (my young 'un isn't quite old enough to enjoy that yet, so we haven't been there to confirm). One thing to perhaps allay that 5% reservation you have is that I believe D'Amico's will operate on a pretty local level -- it's not the type of place that people will come from far and wide to check out, and fixing up that existing building will only serve to better the neighborhood. In terms of what it means for the Heights, I'd say a locally owned, budget-friendly, casual (and, I assume, family friendly) restaurant like D'Amico's is a good fit. And, most likely, after a few visits, we won't even remember that the Village location even exists.

No insults from this direction...

To your point, though, I sort of feel the same way about Barryhill's on 11th and Colina's on 19th. For whatever reason, I feel surprised to see both of them when i drive by (and that's pretty often), thinking of their River Oaks and Village locations, respectively. That said, they seem to do pretty well and from what I've heard, the Barryhill's is really popular with Heights families with kids (my young 'un isn't quite old enough to enjoy that yet, so we haven't been there to confirm). One thing to perhaps allay that 5% reservation you have is that I believe D'Amico's will operate on a pretty local level -- it's not the type of place that people will come from far and wide to check out, and fixing up that existing building will only serve to better the neighborhood. In terms of what it means for the Heights, I'd say a locally owned, budget-friendly, casual (and, I assume, family friendly) restaurant like D'Amico's is a good fit. And, most likely, after a few visits, we won't even remember that the Village location even exists.

Berryhill- You're right but I guess I never thought of it in those terms because it was the only full restaurant (as opposed to Someburger or Dacapo's) walking distance from me when I moved here. And, yes, it is kid heaven over there.

Collina's- So right. I kind of had the 5% with that, too, but it's disappeared. I hardly remember the Rice Village location, especially now that it has a different name.

Call it Heights-centric but I think we all have a vision, whether our neighbor agrees or not, about what we want our neighborhood to look like.

how utterly, deliciously ironic!

A self-proclaimed visionary who speaks with the royal we and doesn't care what the neighbors think.

It doesn't get any more West U than that.

Nash D'Amico has been around for over 30 years, and has been in the Village since at least the mid-80s. I used to hang out there when I tended bar around the corner. In fact, Nash pre-dates the Village that Houston newcomers believe has always been there. Nash was there when Rice Village looked and felt more like 19th Street. I would think that a local guy rehabbing a crappy Heights building to open a restaurant would be in keeping with the Heights "vision", but, admittedly, the last 6 months have convinced me that the overwhelming majority of us in the Heights have no idea what the Heights "vision" really is. Luckily, the Heights "visionaries", with the help of the Mayor and a few council people, are shoving their vision down our throats...for our own good, of course!

I welcome Nash to the neighborhood, and look forward to having his food nearby again.

Nash D'Amico has been around for over 30 years, and has been in the Village since at least the mid-80s. I used to hang out there when I tended bar around the corner. In fact, Nash pre-dates the Village that Houston newcomers believe has always been there. Nash was there when Rice Village looked and felt more like 19th Street. I would think that a local guy rehabbing a crappy Heights building to open a restaurant would be in keeping with the Heights "vision", but, admittedly, the last 6 months have convinced me that the overwhelming majority of us in the Heights have no idea what the Heights "vision" really is. Luckily, the Heights "visionaries", with the help of the Mayor and a few council people, are shoving their vision down our throats...for our own good, of course!

I welcome Nash to the neighborhood, and look forward to having his food nearby again.

Edited by heights_yankee

how utterly, deliciously ironic!

A self-proclaimed visionary who speaks with the royal we and doesn't care what the neighbors think.

It doesn't get any more West U than that.

Ahhh... there we go. It was only a matter of time.

Not agreeing with my neighbor doesn't mean I don't care about them. That must be how you roll in Eastwood. You have an awful lot of opinions about how people in the Heights should act and what we should believe for someone who doesn't live here.

And as far as how West U anything is, I was trying to match your tone here but I guess I'm just not the much of a delicate flower. Anyway, I was talking about the traffic and the sprawl of West U related to the Village, not the people.

Edited by heights_yankee

Ahhh... there we go. It was only a matter of time.

Not agreeing with my neighbor doesn't mean I don't care about them. That must be how you roll in Eastwood. You have an awful lot of opinions about how people in the Heights should act and what we should believe for someone who doesn't live here.

And as far as how West U anything is, I was trying to match your tone here but I guess I'm just not that much of a delicate flower. Anyway, I was talking about the traffic and the sprawl of West U related to the Village, not the people.

My post was edited by HAIF, just to be clear.

• The title was changed to Tacos A Go Go On White Oak Dr.
  • The title was changed to Tacos A Go Go On At 2912 White Oak Dr.