In-N-Out coming TEXAS!

First of all, If this topic has already been started please feel free to merge it with that one.

In an unbelievable turn of events In-N-Out, the west coast burger joint is setting its eyes on the lone star state. This is truly shocking because they were always against expanding away from the west coast. If I were Whataburger I would be scared, really really scared as It's burgers DO NOT compare to In n Out. As an ex-California resident this is music to my ears. Enjoy the article: http://www.huffingto...r_n_591188.html

It looks like Garland, Texas has been chose for the chains first spot, as well as another spot near TCU. Once expansion begins in Dallas, I have a strong feeling that Austin, San Antonio, and Houston would sure to follow. So what are your thoughts?

post-4751-056093000 1286846217_thumb.gif

They'll definitely perform well among west coast expats and newcomers, but I suspect that brand loyalty will be hard to break for native Texans. Personally, I haven't been extraordinarily impressed by In-N-Out. It's only good, not quite edible enlightenment.

Why should they be direct competition with Whataburger?

Van Fleet said the new facility would support at least a "few" restaurant sites in Texas. He declined to say exactly how many restaurants the chain could open in the region.

I think these Californians underestimate how fat we are and how much we love beef :P In-n-out will be a huge success

If I were Whataburger I would be scared, really really scared as It's burgers DO NOT compare to In n Out. As an ex-California resident this is music to my ears.

Are you serious? Whataburger is FAR superior to In-N-Out. The burgers aren't bad by any means, but Whataburger blows them out of the water. Plus Whataburger has (sometimes) the greatest sandwich ever created: the Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich. In-N-Out isn't even the best California burger chain... Fatburger beats them as well. Whataburger doesn't have anything to be "scared of."

Note: I realize that this is all based on opinion, but I'll take any opportunity to tout the merits of Whataburger over In-N-Out Burger.

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports did a reader survey ranking the national burger chains, and In-and-Out (which I've never had) tied Five Guys for #1. Five Guys is already here, and I will say it is a very good burger. Whataburger was not too far behind: http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/428/best-burgers/

Zagat says Five Guys beats In-and-Out:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/17/five-guys-best-burger-zagat-fast-food-survey-2010_n_684302.html

I think the fast food market in Texas is large enough to support both In-n-Out, and Whataburger.

I've never had In-n-Out, but I've had Five Guys a couple of times and don't think it's anything special. And the prices were kind of high compared to similar quality burgers at other chains.

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports did a reader survey ranking the national burger chains, and In-and-Out (which I've never had) tied Five Guys for #1.  Five Guys is already here, and I will say it is a very good burger.  Whataburger was not too far behind: http://shopping.yaho...8/best-burgers/

Zagat says Five Guys beats In-and-Out:

http://www.huffingto...0_n_684302.html

Neither Consumer Reports or Zagats mention Smash Burger which I think is far superior to Five Guys. Maybe they are still to small of a franchise to get any attention. 

I think the fast food market in Texas is large enough to support both In-n-Out, and Whataburger.

I've never had In-n-Out, but I've had Five Guys a couple of times and don't think it's anything special. And the prices were kind of high compared to similar quality burgers at other chains.

The difference with In-n-Out is price. They use fresh ingredients like Five Guys, et al, but you can get a meal combo for only $5 - $6. Best value for the quality of food IMO.

5 Guys is not good. Whataburger use to be good. Not only is In-N-Out burger coming from California, so is Carl's Jr. And Fat Burger was supposed to open in Sawyer Heights when that center first opened but it never happened.

5 Guys is not good. Whataburger use to be good. Not only is In-N-Out burger coming from California, so is Carl's Jr. And Fat Burger was supposed to open in Sawyer Heights when that center first opened but it never happened.

Agreed. 5 guys is ok, but nothing special. I don't understand the hype. My fiance loves the place, but i don't think its worth the price. I keep hearing about all these burger chains coming to the Houston area too. Carls Jr was supposed to open up by years end 2009, but if i've seen a Carl's Jr here, I've seen one on the moon.

I've eaten quite a few burgers in this town and across the country, if it was down to chains, I'd have to give it to Whataburger and Wendy's.

Having had 5 guys, I like the variety of ingredients and their fries, but other than that. moo.

For REALLY good burgers, there's Bubba's Buffalo burger on wespark, Lankfords, Pete's Fine meat, and, believe it or not; Spec's Midtown. I am rather curious about the Christian's Tailgate burger since everyone keeps talking about it.

I had Fatburger for the first time last week. It was OK. Again, nothing special. My wife didn't like it at all, and didn't even finish half of hers.

Nationally, I think the best burgers I've had are from Rally's. White Castle is a sentimental second favorite.

In Houston, it's Beck's Prime, or Whataburger if I'm in a hurry.

I had Fatburger for the first time last week. It was OK. Again, nothing special. My wife didn't like it at all, and didn't even finish half of hers.

Nationally, I think the best burgers I've had are from Rally's. White Castle is a sentimental second favorite.

In Houston, it's Beck's Prime, or Whataburger if I'm in a hurry.

I have to agree with Rally's. We use to have Rally's sister restaurant called Checker's here and they were exactly the same with different names. The burgers were good! I remember the meat having a good seasoning. I wish they would come back to Texas.

Once every week or two, a McDonalds McDouble is sooo tasty. Call me what you like, but I like 'em!

I heard a rumor that the McRib is coming back the first week of November.

I go to McDonald's probably once every five or six months. But during Ribwich season, I'm there every day.

I've always thought about freezing the suckers for later, but they never make it home.

I heard a rumor that the McRib is coming back the first week of November.

I go to McDonald's probably once every five or six months. But during Ribwich season, I'm there every day.

I've always thought about freezing the suckers for later, but they never make it home.

I've never had a McRib...I guess I'll get one when it comes out, especially if it's on the dollar menu :P

I've never had a McRib...I guess I'll get one when it comes out, especially if it's on the dollar menu :P

Same here, I guess I'll knuckle under and give it a shot. If Ozzy Osbourne's kid gets excited over it, I guess it might be worth to try dancing with the devil.

I still proclaim Jack in the Box Tacos to be Fast food heroin. Just say no.

Same here, I guess I'll knuckle under and give it a shot. If Ozzy Osbourne's kid gets excited over it, I guess it might be worth to try dancing with the devil.

I love most Jack-in-the-Box food. But "fast" should never be used next to it. Going to a JB drive-through adds an hour to any trip.

I love most Jack-in-the-Box food. But "fast" should never be used next to it. Going to a JB drive-through adds an hour to any trip.

If you hit it at 2am, yes, it would. Most of the time I fly right through it. Whataburger is another story. I swear they're raising the cow from infancy every time I order something from there...but it's SOOO worth it.

If it's good enough for Martha Stuart, it deserves a $2 investment of my money and time. The Animal Burger sounds intriguing.

Never had a McRib!? OMG...

I showed up at the last HAIF meetup with McRib in hand. Utterly disgusting, and addicting. The Simpsons built an entire episode around it.

I remember Jack Osborn going crazy over the Mic Rib on their show. That was a long time ago, I can't believe that you remember that as well.

Archived