Is Texas Still Apart Of Mexico?

citykid09

Is Texas still apart of Mexico?

Is Texas the only State that can Succeed from the United States? Or can no State do this including Texas?

I am asking all this because I had a very big argument today about Texas. Someone told me that is still apart of Mexico, and that the United States is just claming it when its not really theirs. I looked at them and said how stupid are you. any ways can someone back me up and prove that no State can leave the Union, and that Texas is no longer apart of Mexico.

Someone else tried to say California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and other States where still owned by Mexico also. How stuid!

There not my friends, we just started talking, and it makes me mad that people think Texas still belongs to Mexico, and that we can succeed. HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED ANYTHING IN SCHOOL!

And if, um, Texas is a part of Mexico, like, why would the American flag be flying higher in Austin than any other country flag?

^thats what I am saying! they sust would not listen.

They also said Texas is the onlt State that could leave the USA.

When its clearly states in I think the constitution, that after the confederate sates happened, that no state can EVER leave the USA.

One thing Texas can do though, is spilt into I think 6 smaller states.

This whole notion relates back to an old treaty that settle the borders between the US and Mexico. Some Mexicans feel that they were forced into the treaty and to believe in it now.

No state can succeed from the Union anymore. And technically it wasn't allowed prior to the civil war also. That was one of the reasons for the war. Slavery was a minor reason for the war. People fought to defend their economies. The Union attacked after succession.

Before, they couldn't really do anything but just disagree.

Is Texas still apart of Mexico?

Someone else tried to say California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and other States where still owned by Mexico also. How stuid!

Texas seceded and then fought a war to stay out of Mexico. Went for a while as its own country and later became a state in the United States. So no Texas is not part of Mexico.

California, New Mexico, etc.. were taken by the US during the Mexican American War. This was caused because of the annexation of Texas, which the Mexican government had never fully accepted. I'd have to check, but I am pretty sure Mexico was payed for them. Maybe not all that much. But they are part of the United States.

Frankly, there are Mexican families who trace their roots back to Texas since well before Santa Ana was even a Mexican general. Obviously, after Sam Houston and the crew defeated the Mexicans and razed Tejas from the Mexicans, white (& black settlement) increased rapidly over the next 100 years, but as 'Cuso said, Mexicans are slowly but surely (and not even all that slowly anymore) repopulating Texas as if it were merely another district within Mexico.

And so it is. Doesn't bother me. I just hope that those families moving here to Texas are able to become educated and raise their quality of life so that the quality of life of all Texans improve. The larger your poverty class, the greater chance that public services and infrastructure will wane, the greater chance that your schools will wane, the greater chance that your ability to attract better paying jobs will wane, and so forth.

Texas seceded and then fought a war to stay out of Mexico.  Went for a while as its own country and later became a state in the United States.  So no Texas is not part of Mexico.

California, New Mexico, etc.. were taken by the US during the Mexican American War.  This was caused because of the annexation of Texas, which the Mexican government had never fully accepted.  I'd have to check, but I am pretty sure Mexico was payed for them.  Maybe not all that much.  But they are part of the United States.

OK, a brief history.

I believe Tejas was part of another mexican state (Chihuahua) at this time because it was barely occupied by Mexicans at all. they did not care about it. They were clustered around a few cities (San Antonio, Golliad, and some others). American immigrants (mostly from Tennesee) started to settle in many parts of Texas and eventually outnumbered the native Mexicans (Tejanos) something like 8 to 1 to 12 to 1. The Mexicans then decided to 'jerk' around the Americans and Austin in particular and the Americans figured 'hey we have established more roots here then the Mexicans so let's figt for it'. So they did and WON.

Texas became an independent country THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, and was internationally recognized as such. The boundaries were far greater then they were today extending into Oklahoma, Colorado, and possibly parts of Idaho. It is the only sovereign nation annexed into the United States- but I don't know of any special privelages.

USA then fought Mexico to establish the Rio Grande border, and I guess they also gained the SouthWest states during this time.

I do know when they suceeded from the Union during the Civil War, Sam Houston was the only southern governor to refuse to suceed- so they kicked him out of office and suceeded anyway but I don't think it was legal. They United States made us come back so that would diffuse the "special privelages" theory. They sent in troops from Ohio during the reconstruction era.

Hope that helps.

No wonder the rest of the planet is passing us up in academics.

Well the people that told me this are from that country (mexico)<It does not desrerve to be capitalized! Just kidding!

So that explains there ignorance, they only know what Mexico taught them. (I guess we only know what the USA taught us. :rolleyes: )

Sit down and let SpaceCity tell you about this whole annexation thing.

The poor immigrant Americans moved to Texas 150+ years ago because of their poor economic choices in the rest of the United States. The Mexican aristocracy was afraid of these "Texicans" taking over. Eventually the immigrants did. Fast forward 150+ years and poor Mexicans are moving into Texas looking for better economic choices. Fat Americans are afraid that these immigrants will take over.

Texas can't succed from the union. It can split up into several other states. So can California. But it just might become a part of Mexico in 100+ more years. ;-)

umm, mexico did not jerk the texians (american settlers in texas) but is was the settlers who jerked around with the mexican gov't.

the settlers came mostly from slave states so they brought their slaves with them but mexico had already abolished alavery. the americans began to create an insurrection and viola, republic of texas.

umm, mexico did not jerk the texians (american settlers in texas) but is was the settlers who jerked around with the mexican gov't. 

the settlers came mostly from slave states so they brought their slaves with them but mexico had already abolished alavery. the americans began to create an insurrection and viola, republic of texas.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, I agree.

(and since my "umm" was bigger than yours I win.)