Nigeria Airways

Houston19514

More great news from Continental. Can't wait until they starting taking deliveries of those 787's.

"On Monday, the Houston-based carrier announced plans, pending government approval, to fly daily from Houston to Lagos beginning Nov. 10, 2011, in what would be the city's first scheduled air service to Africa."

Chron article

Not quite. South African Airways had IAH-JNB service circa 1983 utilizing Boeing 747SP equipment.

Not sure if you guys remember the history of this CO service, but it was attempted a number of years ago, around the time of Virgin Nigeria's startup. IIRC, the US and Nigerian governments got into a squabble about Virgin Nigeria's ownership (they wanted to fly into the US) and Nigeria responded by taking away CO's ability to offer service into Lagos. CO had hired a few people and had rented office space already. That, along with the how business is conducted in Nigeria, left a very bad taste in peoples' mouths. I'm frankly surprised they are venturing back in, so there must be lots of money to be made.

Not quite. South African Airways had IAH-JNB service circa 1983 utilizing Boeing 747SP equipment.

In 1983, flying into South Africa was more like flying into the Deep South circa 1920 than into another continent - if the Deep South had a more temperate climate and lions, that is.

Not sure if you guys remember the history of this CO service, but it was attempted a number of years ago, around the time of Virgin Nigeria's startup. IIRC, the US and Nigerian governments got into a squabble about Virgin Nigeria's ownership (they wanted to fly into the US) and Nigeria responded by taking away CO's ability to offer service into Lagos. CO had hired a few people and had rented office space already. That, along with the how business is conducted in Nigeria, left a very bad taste in peoples' mouths. I'm frankly surprised they are venturing back in, so there must be lots of money to be made.

Quite right. (FWIW, I believe that service was to have been from Newark, not Houston.) The Chron article actually mentions that previous attempt.

This route will essentially print money for Continental (and I'm not talking Nigerian inheritance money).

I am sure Continental saw the squabble between World Airways and SonAir (Atlas Air) as an opportunity to offer service to LOS and draw away some of the corporate contracts. World Airways was doing 3x weekly service to LAD (Luanda, Angola) on an MD-11 and it was constantly overbooked. There was some disagreement between World and SonAir and SonAir decided to go with Atlas Airways flying a 744 on the route (you can see these parked at IAH now). This now appears to be a completely private system, whereas there were ways to get on the World Airways service. Air fares were in the $4,000 range for coach.

Let's also not forget the large Nigerian and West African population in Houston. Right now the most efficient way to get to Nigeria is through Europe but it's a real pain. This flight will be a huge relief for people wanting to visit.

Damn, I cannot wait to book a vacation to this garden spot of West Africa.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic. I wouldn't go to Lagos without a small private army.

I am really interested to see how Continental handles this from a crew perspective. I wonder if they'll just fly the route with two separate crews onboard rather than overnighting a crew in Lagos.

You guys act like Lagos is a warzone. Being half Nigerian (dad is from Lagos, mom is from New Orleans) I have had no problems in my times there (been four times). Going to the village (where my grandma lives) can be a problem, but only if you don't know what you're doing., or aren't familiar with the area.

Think of the words you chose going to grandmas and rethink that statement.

When going to visit relatives as a child, that thought didn't even cross my mind.

There is a difference in watching out for your typical "bad neighborhood", but not "bad regions.".

As a child? The last time I went was in 2008. Nigeria has problems (like all places), but it has gotten a lot better. It's worlds different than what it was when I first went in 1993 (from the stories I was told).

IMO, the most interesting note out of CO's news release for the route is that Houston will be just the fourth city in the world to have direct service to every inhabited continent on the planet--and the ONLY city in the Western Hemisphere to do so B)

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=PRNEWS

Nigeria is a member of OPEC, largest population on African continent, and Houston having one of the largest Nigerian populations in the counrty seem like a good move to me. Africa is devloping and trying to shead those "flying into war zones" stereotypes.

As a child? The last time I went was in 2008. Nigeria has problems (like all places), but it has gotten a lot better. It's worlds different than what it was when I first went in 1993 (from the stories I was told).

The Department of State disagrees with you (as do I): http://travel.state..../tw/tw_928.html

Having traveled through Nigeria, Angola, and Equatorial Guinea I can say that while none are "war zones" they are certainly not safe places nor are they what I would consider vacation spots. I was last in Nigeria in mid-2008 and my group of three men had five armed guards.

The fact that they have a visa requirement (costing $131) even for transit passengers is enough to keep people from passing through.

I don't really care what you all think. Nigerians are beautiful people. My family over there will give you their last dollar if you needed it, and I enjoy that half of me.

We think Nigerians are great. The one I work with is the nicest person ever, a hard worker, and extremely smart.

• 5 months later...

I hadn't seen this thread before-- I haven't been in Lagos since 2005, still I look for articles about it --today I read with interest that Nigeria is indicting Dick Chaney--

About the Continental straight shot to Nigeria- Trying to go from Nigeria to Us was usually 2 seven flights with a 5 hour layover-I was so THRILLED at the prospect of any direct flight- I was in Lagos when it seemed that would happen- (flight crews would stay in renovated suites at airport Sheraton)- lots of publicity and PR parties--and a boost in funding for the Tourist Dept-- I later saw the Ads on French television while in Cannes-- however--- I had always thought that anyone visiting Nigeria (expats that is) had to get permission from the government first as well as the $100.+ visa Soooooooooooooo I always wondered if there was an actual tourtist influx.

My experience is limited, I have only flown into Lagos with an expat expeditor a man in a brightly colored jumpsuit with the company name on the back, who had a picture of you, knew your name (wasn't holding a card with your name as this became s scam where lots of people with your name on cards would appear and try to get you to take their cab instead) would ascort you through the customs process as well as lead you through the mass of people who seemed to be permanantly waiting outside the airport, deposit you in a multipassenger van where an armed guard waited and then return to look for the other expats who were flying in at the same time. I'm wondering how much has really changed. Still a direct flight from US to Nigeria seems a good idea.

. . . . . another bit of info-- when I first went to Lagos, Air France was the only way to get back to US, as BA wasn't allowed access--I had heard this stemmed from official complaints from BA over the unsafe conditions/up keep of the runway at Murtala Mohammed International--Lagos refused them access to airport

• 11 months later...

Looks like this is finally happening. From a United/Continental press release issued today:

Continental will launch previously announced new daily service between Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport and Lagos, Nigeria, on Nov. 16, 2011, and a second daily flight between New York/Newark Liberty to Frankfurt, Germany, on Jan. 2, 2012.

Full release here: http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=83680&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1627749&highlight=

• 9 months later...

CHICAGO, Aug. 23, 2012 – United Airlines today announced the first international routes for the airline’s newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. In addition to the previously-announced service from its Denver hub to Tokyo Narita, starting March 31, 2013, the airline will operate nonstop 787 service five days a week between its Houston hub and Lagos, Nigeria, beginning Jan. 7, 2013.

http://www.fly2houston.com/0/3920250/0/83280/

This is a route the 787 makes perfect sense on. The 777 they were having to use (because of range) was too much plane. The 787 is a bit smaller and less seats in back. More up front % wise. It might enable this route to eventually go to 7 days a week.

Archived