KBXX 97.9 The Box Fires The Krackernutz for play Trae Tha Truth!

citykid09

They were some of the best talent the station still had. There really needs to be some competition now! The Box had always been one of my favorite stations, but every since a few years ago when they made all the cuts and its last true competition left (KPTY Party 9.33), the station has been on a downward spiral. They now play almost no local artist. And they fired the Krackernutz for playing a Camillionaire song with Trae in it :wacko: .

[TheNiche wonders to himself if he can pull off a rant about citykid's bad spelling and grammar without triggering an online race riot. He thinks that it could turn into something absurd, funny, and insightful like he's seen on The Boondocks.]

[TheNiche wonders to himself if he can pull off a rant about citykid's bad spelling and grammar without triggering an online race riot. He thinks that it could turn into something absurd, funny, and insightful like he's seen on The Boondocks.]

If you don't have anything to contribute to the topic except to flame other posters, then don't post at all.

Has 97.9 ever been anything but top 40 hip-hop? Why lament the demise of a DJ who on rare occasion would play something that wasn't pop on a strictly pop station? People tune into a pop station to hear pop, not underground local stuff.

Hip-hop is dead anyhow. It stopped being relevant back in the late 90s. I'm not saying it can't be relevant again. Hell, rock and roll survived the 80s, anything can happen. I just don't see where else hip-hop can go though. It's a one-trick pony, and it's played that trick out.

FYI: I realized that I misspelled the word "officially," but I was not able to go back in and change it. Any other words? This is an online forum, not an English class!

Has 97.9 ever been anything but top 40 hip-hop?

When they first started back in 1991, 97.9 also played traditional r&b as 102.1 does today. At the time, they were a direct competitor to 102.1, which was the only "Urban" FM station in Houston until then. Around 1994, 97.9 and 102.1 became co-owned, and 102.1 stopped playing hip-hop/rap and 9.79 stopped playing traditional r&b, instead focusing more on the "bubblegum" r&b artists you don't typically hear on 102.1, Rihanna and Drake would be good examples of such artists in 2010. Since then, 102.1 has focused on reaching mainly the older crowd, playing mostly r&b and soul from the 60s to present, even going as far as to play edited tracks which remove rap artists if they have a guest appearance on an r&b or gospel song.

Hopefully they bring back the hollywood boys

I was thinking the same thing. If you get rid of the Nutz, at least bring back the Hollywood Boys. I hope a new Hip Hop Station comes to town soon and the Nutz go work there.

Since then, 102.1 has focused on reaching mainly the older crowd, playing mostly r&b and soul from the 60s to present, even going as far as to play edited tracks which remove rap artists if they have a guest appearance on an r&b or gospel song.

When do they play the older stuff? I may have to put 102.1 into my regular radio rotation.

I have to admit though, the newer stuff doesn't do it for me. The old school guys had a lot of class, and they made their bones playing live with big bands and bigger entourages of backup singers and dancers. The new class just sits in a recording studio waiting for a producer to make a decent manufactured beat to sing over. Lame. I'll take Al Green over Usher any day of the week.

Is there any money in an inde-hip/hop station? I'm talking strictly ad revenue. That's what keeps the songs playing and that's what determines the songs played too. Hip/Hop is such a narrow market which is why I think all the rap stations in this town have changed formats or have "softened" their line-up to include mostly only chart selections.

When do they play the older stuff? I may have to put 102.1 into my regular radio rotation.

I don't believe they have a dedicated programming block for the older stuff anymore like 90.9 does on Fridays. You can check on Sunday at 11am or 12pm when they stop playing gospel music. I remember they used to play the old stuff on Sundays after they played the gospel playlist.

Has 97.9 ever been anything but top 40 hip-hop? Why lament the demise of a DJ who on rare occasion would play something that wasn't pop on a strictly pop station? People tune into a pop station to hear pop, not underground local stuff.

Hip-hop is dead anyhow. It stopped being relevant back in the late 90s. I'm not saying it can't be relevant again. Hell, rock and roll survived the 80s, anything can happen. I just don't see where else hip-hop can go though. It's a one-trick pony, and it's played that trick out.

It's not dead. It's just dead on the radio. But there is still great hip hop out there. Hip Hop will survive as long as there is an audience and believe me, there is an audience.

Lol, he said "backpacker," that's some Dad Rap lingo if I ever heard of. Also Attica, you sound really white. Nobody is going to explain hip-hop to you in 2010 in any sort of meaningful way; it'd be like kids trying to explain to an 70 year old in the 1960's what the word "cool" meant. This sort of backlash against corporatism is becoming the norm. Let's go ravers! ph34r.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe they have a dedicated programming block for the older stuff anymore like 90.9 does on Fridays. You can check on Sunday at 11am or 12pm when they stop playing gospel music. I remember they used to play the old stuff on Sundays after they played the gospel playlist.

Unfortunately Radio One's budget affected Majic too. First Inspirational Wednesday w/Kandi got cut (it ain't like every single person could listen to 92.1 everday anyway), then the 5:00 request hour got cut, now the Sunday Vintage Classics is gone. Now 102 is just another R&B station with a good selection of music with a cookie cutter playlist approach - the one that never allows RARE lost soul hits to be dusted off to see the light of day. I would like to see another R&B station in Houston with a focus on 80s and 90s R&B and new jack swing music this time (i.e. Power 97.5). Something that could place it in between 102 and 97.9.

Everywhere.

Yeah that was bullsh-eye-t about the Krackernuts losing their job recently. I wish 97.9 had more freedom in their playlist like for example this station in San Francisco that plays old (80s and 90s) and new stuff AND local artists in balanced rotation.

They were some of the best talent the station still had. There really needs to be some competition now! The Box had always been one of my favorite stations, but every since a few years ago when they made all the cuts and its last true competition left (KPTY Party 9.33), the station has been on a downward spiral. They now play almost no local artist. And they fired the Krackernutz for playing a Camillionaire song with Trae in it :wacko: .

At least Madd Hatta a.k.a. Mista Madd didn't get replaced by radio syndicates.

Also Attica, you sound really white. Nobody is going to explain hip-hop to you in 2010 in any sort of meaningful way; it'd be like kids trying to explain to an 70 year old in the 1960's what the word "cool" meant.

Say what you will, but modern hip-hop and r&b lack soul. You can say I'm uncool for not "getting" it, but the fact remains most of the performers have zero credibilty as musicians. They might be poets, maybe, and I'm prepared to admit as much if you'll admit dada is art, particularly that Duchamp's toilet is art:

toilet.jpg

What, don't see the "art"? Maybe you're just not cool.

Odds are, if it can't be explained in any meaningful way, it doesn't really exist in the first place. I stand by what I wrote earlier; hip-hop, in it's current iteration is irrelevant. My opinion doesn't doom hip-hop to the dustbins of history. I just don't see much need to give two craps about The Krackernutz losing his job on a pop radio station for playing music that doesn't fit their format.

Also, out of curiosity, what exactly sounds "white" about me? Is it that I think modern rap sucks, as if only blacks (or otherwise only non-whites) can appreciate it? Or, is it that I write in complete sentences, and what does that mean you're implying about the writing skills of non-white people? I hope neither of those two reasons are why you say I "sound really white". Besides that, what difference does it make if I am white? Does that mean my opinion on the merits of various forms of rap don't matter? Is this an us vs them mentality you're applying to race? If so, good job setting the movement back several decades. You're a real credit to your race, whichever one that might be.

Cant belive they would fire krackernutz. I have not listened to the radio since I graduated though. I got tired off hearing what ever it is they play on the radio now days. 90s Hip-Hop and RnB is about 100 times better than music today. It does not stand a chance with music from the 60's and 70's. Just look at who gets the grammys. Beyonce and other artist have all these grammys (some deserve it) and The Supremes did not even get one. This is just my opinion

There is some truth to what you're saying. My kid and her friends are listening to quite a bit of beatles, doors, elvis, and led zepplin. Her friends are saying that the music is much better than today, except for dance.

Then again, she loves Emo music.

To say I was surprised by that would be an understatement.

Archived