KBXX 97.9 The Box Fires The Krackernutz for play Trae Tha Truth!

citykid09

Say what you will, but modern hip-hop and r&b lack soul. You can say I'm uncool for not "getting" it, but the fact remains most of the performers have zero credibilty as musicians. They might be poets, maybe, and I'm prepared to admit as much if you'll admit dada is art, particularly that Duchamp's toilet is art:

toilet.jpg

What, don't see the "art"? Maybe you're just not cool.

Odds are, if it can't be explained in any meaningful way, it doesn't really exist in the first place. I stand by what I wrote earlier; hip-hop, in it's current iteration is irrelevant. My opinion doesn't doom hip-hop to the dustbins of history. I just don't see much need to give two craps about The Krackernutz losing his job on a pop radio station for playing music that doesn't fit their format.

Also, out of curiosity, what exactly sounds "white" about me? Is it that I think modern rap sucks, as if only blacks (or otherwise only non-whites) can appreciate it? Or, is it that I write in complete sentences, and what does that mean you're implying about the writing skills of non-white people? I hope neither of those two reasons are why you say I "sound really white". Besides that, what difference does it make if I am white? Does that mean my opinion on the merits of various forms of rap don't matter? Is this an us vs them mentality you're applying to race? If so, good job setting the movement back several decades. You're a real credit to your race, whichever one that might be.

"you sound white" is a contemporary slang colloquial for people who don't understand or care for the music. It's an insider joke that really is a sign of the music style's evolution past those kinds of structural racism. And I'll take your odds and bet that somethings (especially those that are truly soulful) cannot be defined; just as what makes one an artist/musician? You don't need respect to make music.

"you sound white" is a contemporary slang colloquial for people who don't understand or care for the music. It's an insider joke that really is a sign of the music style's evolution past those kinds of structural racism. And I'll take your odds and bet that somethings (especially those that are truly soulful) cannot be defined; just as what makes one an artist/musician? You don't need respect to make music.

How can I respect music that shows complete disrespect of women and society overall?

And don't tell me because they sing what they know, flowers grow in ghettos too.

"you sound white" is a contemporary slang colloquial for people who don't understand or care for the music. It's an insider joke that really is a sign of the music style's evolution past those kinds of structural racism.

Evolution isn't always progressive.

And I'll take your odds and bet that somethings (especially those that are truly soulful) cannot be defined; just as what makes one an artist/musician?

I'll define it. An artist has innate talent, acquired skill and a message. It takes all three.

You don't need respect to make irrelevant pop music.

Corrected.

Evolution isn't always progressive.

I'll define it. An artist has innate talent, acquired skill and a message. It takes all three.

Corrected.

Obviously your not about hip-hop and obviously hatin on what you really don't know about. Ever heard of NOLA bounce and it's influential resurgence of recent?

Great, you've defined what an artist is to you. You couldn't be more wrong from this artist's point of view. An artist can be infinitely Anything because artists just sell ideas, unconstrained by your logic or even alien logic, you just happen to pass on the ideas that hip hop conveys and sounds. It's a youth culture and your 2-D stereotyping is typical and I expect better from your posts.

Personally, I like it that hip hop scares the older crowd and is derided as a social evil and disposable music. How can that be? and what time/genre does that rhyme with?

Obviously your not about hip-hop and obviously hatin on what you really don't know about. Ever heard of NOLA bounce and it's influential resurgence of recent?

Great, you've defined what an artist is to you. You couldn't be more wrong from this artist's point of view. An artist can be infinitely Anything because artists just sell ideas, unconstrained by your logic or even alien logic, you just happen to pass on the ideas that hip hop conveys and sounds. It's a youth culture and your 2-D stereotyping is typical and I expect better from your posts.

Personally, I like it that hip hop scares the older crowd and is derided as a social evil and disposable music. How can that be? and what time/genre does that rhyme with?

Oh. Okay.

Didn't realize it was hip to sing about nothing but shooting people, drugs, cops, and just getting as wasted as possible.

In the 70's, they mostly talked about drugs, but at least they just talked about the whacked out dreams they had with them.

Oh. Okay.

Didn't realize it was hip to sing about nothing but shooting people, drugs, cops, and just getting as wasted as possible.

In the 70's, they mostly talked about drugs, but at least they just talked about the whacked out dreams they had with them.

I take it you never ever listened to either Lil Wayne, Common, Nas, Chingo Bling, Chamillionaire, Outkast, Kanye West, or Eminem. Neither of those rappers fit your label of "sing about nothing but shooting people, drugs, cops, and just getting as wasted as posible".

I don't know about the "older crowd", but I grew up with hip-hop. I'm 32. I'm a product of the 80s and 90s. I don't fear it. I like quite a bit of it, in fact. There just came a point when it stopped being innovative and the message became irrelevant. It's pop music now. I've also said it isn't doomed for the future. There may be a movement that revolutionizes the genre in a way that I can't predict. But, based on what I see right now, I don't see that happening. As it is, I see hip-hop's audience slowly becoming more suburban and young. It doesn't speak for a people. It doesn't speak for a movement. It doesn't even speak for a lifestyle anymore. It doesn't speak for anything except record sales (or mp3 sales). As a genre, it's been almost entirely coopted by record companies who push bland, generic garbage because that's what the masses want. Most, though certainly not all, "artists" have the end goal of money in mind when they write and perform. The music itself has little value. Couple that with the fact it takes very little skill to create the "art" form, and it becomes just little more than noise. Sorry man, if one hasn't dedicated their life to understanding the medium in which they practice, I have no respect for the art. Give me a beat and a day and a half to string some words together, and I could put out a song... and I sound really white. If I can do it, anybody can do it. Artists suffer for their craft, and artists create what the common man doesn't have the talent or skill to create.

I take it you never ever listened to either Lil Wayne, Common, Nas, Chingo Bling, Chamillionaire, Outkast, Kanye West, or Eminem. Neither of those rappers fit your label of "sing about nothing but shooting people, drugs, cops, and just getting as wasted as posible".

I've listened to most of those, except for Chamillionare, and didn't really care for most except for Outkast and Eminem.

Most of those people (including Eminem) are tools. They carry themselves like gangsta wannabe's and act as if they were the greatest artists since Jesus.

I've listened to most of those, except for Chamillionare, and didn't really care for most except for Outkast and Eminem.

Most of those people (including Eminem) are tools. They carry themselves like gangsta wannabe's and act as if they were the greatest artists since Jesus.

Before you critiise Nas as a gangster wannabee listen to "I Can". That song is basically encouraging kids to stay in school and make something of themselves.

Likewise Eminem talks or raps about the hardships in his life in addition to humerous takes on the f****d up politicians and celebrities in this country.

Didn't I also mention they were tools?

You didn't dispute they act like it.

I like MM's music, but I just don't like HIM.

Hell, even 50 cent has mellowed out and is as far as what he used to be and derides those singers for acting too big for their britches.

You mentioned 8 artists that actually try to give out a positive message, but 3 of them are tools. At least that's how they portrayed themselves on the shows they were on.

Of course, we all know what a class act Mr. West is.

Ok fair enough now i see what you are saying.

Then again most succesfull musicians are tools it does not matter what the genre is. Case in point Bono of U2 among others.

I think of him more of a Douche' then a tool, but whatever. The thing that slightly in his favor is that he generally do the civil rights/uplifting songs. Personally, I think two early albums were the best, but for over 20 yrs they have been doing good stuff overall.

So you mean to tell me that Disco is in fact, not dead?

edit:

FYI, disco-house has faster dance tempos and is based upon disco samples. Nu disco or balleric/cosmic disco is based upon vintage synths and has a slower lounge style tempo while hip hop has an even slower tempo.

Is hip-hop the music that I hear when I pull up next to an 80s model maroon Buick or Cadillac with gigantic 3 spoke chrome wheels? They usually have their windows down and have it cranked so loud that the windows are vibrating. Also they usually have fake portholes just ahead of the front doors and maybe something to so with "Dub" or "22". I see a lot of this in Westchase.

I'm serious here. I'm not sure if what these guys play is considered hip-hop or not. Are older American family cars with huge wheels and portholes considered part of the hip-hop music culture or is that something else?

So you mean to tell me that Disco is in fact, not dead?

edit:

FYI, disco-house has faster dance tempos and is based upon disco samples. Nu disco or balleric/cosmic disco is based upon vintage synths and has a slower lounge style tempo while hip hop has an even slower tempo.

I guess. I like some old school hip-hop/whatever. Is disco dead? I guess not. Who knows... I'm talking about the stuff here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr1liTPnc0k

It's pretty cool.

Is hip-hop the music that I hear when I pull up next to an 80s model maroon Buick or Cadillac with gigantic 3 spoke chrome wheels? They usually have their windows down and have it cranked so loud that the windows are vibrating. Also they usually have fake portholes just ahead of the front doors and maybe something to so with "Dub" or "22". I see a lot of this in Westchase.

I'm serious here. I'm not sure if what these guys play is considered hip-hop or not. Are older American family cars with huge wheels and portholes considered part of the hip-hop music culture or is that something else?

Probably hip hop or rap. If there's a lot of "boom" in the bass, it's rap. If there's a lot of "bap" in the bass, it's hip hop.

About their cars, they really like the cushy interiors of domestic luxury and family vehicles of the 1970's and 80's because of their sex appeal and level of cost to maintain indicates wealth.

I guess. I like some old school hip-hop/whatever. Is disco dead? I guess not. Who knows... I'm talking about the stuff here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xr1liTPnc0k

It's pretty cool.

That's circuit house or electro-house. Disco-house is more soulful/gospel styled like the Chicago House style, French House of the late 90's, or New Jersey Garage. Your example is very Miami/Ibiza style, you might like Pria Urbana or 77002 events.

About their cars, they really like the cushy interiors of domestic luxury and family vehicles of the 1970's and 80's because of their sex appeal and level of cost to maintain indicates wealth.

For some reason I've always been fascinated by the culture that likes these old cars. I had a Hispanic friend around 20 years ago that was into the same thing. I couldn't figure out why a high school kid would want to drive an old family car. After talking with him about it for years I finally "got it". Cars are a big obsession of mine so I'm always interested in people that have a passion about them whether I share the same opinion or not. Give me a Ferrari or Porsche and some Deadmau5.

For some reason I've always been fascinated by the culture that likes these old cars. I had a Hispanic friend around 20 years ago that was into the same thing. I couldn't figure out why a high school kid would want to drive an old family car. After talking with him about it for years I finally "got it". Cars are a big obsession of mine so I'm always interested in people that have a passion about them whether I share the same opinion or not. Give me a Ferrari or Porsche and some Deadmau5.

I can understand and respect the for wanting some of the older styles. Now if they want to make the car "Cherry", then good for them.

Add some nice looking rims? Okay. I'm down with it.

Put a sweet paint job on it? That's not far off.

But to spend as much as a small luxury car with 6 monitors, spinners, a speaker system that should blast at a concert is a bid crazy. Add to the fact that SOME (remember, I said SOME) live in beaten down neighborhoods is just totally outlandish.

If people spent as much time and money advancing their education and careers, the ghettos would be as big as they are and would have a smaller population.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an outrage! I don't expect The BOX to have much good luck in the future. They'll probably lose a larger audience and end up having to shut down anyway!

Madhatter and Natay are still on right?

Yeah the Madd Hatta Morning Show is still on. I could see that going away as well and them bringing in a national morning show. I can't believe this has happened to the Station,Brandi Garcia and all of the other DJs that have been fired over the past few years. The station needs new ownership fast or competition! The current owners are ruining the stations reputation. I hope Brandi doesn't leave Houston though. Hopefully a new station will come about soon and she and all the other talent that was let go can work there.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would the radio station fire them for playing a Houston artist? Doesn't make any sense.

Really quickly: At last years Trae Day, people where shot. Trae had nothing to do with. He had several interviews to clear his name. When doing an interview with the Madd Hatta Morning shows the entertainment reporter Nette confronted him saying his music attracts those kind of violent people. A few months later Trae made a mix tape and he took some jabs at Nette's weight on it. At that point KBXX and presumably all Radio One stations band his music and could never mention him. Employees of the Radio One can't even play his music outside of work. Well a few months ago The Krakernuttz played a song on air that Trae had a verse on, the were fired. And a few days ago Brandi Garcia played a song while djing at a 50 cent concert that Trae verse on and she was fired even though the concert had nothing to do with the her job at 979 the box.

Here is a video of her explaining what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk9WOZgsLHk&feature=player_embedded

I think its pretty obvious Rap music in general promotes violence. Law makers have been trying to ban it altogether since its rise to mainstream popularity in the early 90's. Hip Hop can be clean & fun without all of the violent lyrics. See Devin The Dude.

I think its pretty obvious Rap music in general promotes violence. Law makers have been trying to ban it altogether since its rise to mainstream popularity in the early 90's.

I don't buy that. Lawmakers tried to ban rock and roll for similar reasons.

Hip Hop can be clean & fun without all of the violent lyrics. See Devin The Dude.

And those kids need to stay off my lawn!!

*shakes fist in the air angrily*

Archived