Houston Fire Station No. 16 At 1700 Richmond Ave.

Highway6

As Spring arrives, everyone be extra careful with your bbq pits... Now that we no longer have a fire dept to come save us.

Apparently Station 16, Richmond at Dunlavy, suffered a floor buckling today and is close to collapse.

All personnel has been relocated and the station is closed indefinitely.

http://swamplot.com/breaking-fire-station-news/2010-04-02/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I guess they were way wrong if they went from "probable collapse" to "open for business" a week later.

But you'd be the first one in line whining as to why the place wasn't evacuated if the floor collapsed.

Better safe than sorry, I always say.

But you'd be the first one in line whining as to why the place wasn't evacuated if the floor collapsed.

Better safe than sorry, I always say.

I'd be the first in line huh Ricco? Well glad you know me that well to make such a statement.

• 11 years later...

Fire Station #16 to be Renovated

Fire Station #16 at the corner of Dunlavy Street and Richmond Avenue is slated for renovation later this year. Improvements to include:

• The addition of an elevator, along with an expanded lobby to comply State ADA requirements
  • Addition of a public lobby and trauma treatment room
  • Addition of a storage area for fire-fighting equipment (as one does not currently exist)
  • Addition of a fitness room for firefighters above the new gear storage area

The addition of these new areas will require that the existing building be expanded beyond its current footprint, with the additions on the Richmond Ave. side of the building and extending inside the 25' setback. Therefore, a building line variance has been requested from the City Planning Department. The variance request will be heard by the Planning Commission at its public meeting on Wednesday, March 2nd at 2:30 p.m. Comments may be submitted via email to speakercomments.pc@houstontx.gov or by calling the Planning Department at 832-393-6600.

The tentative timeline for the project is: 

• Building design completed by May 2022
  • Construction to begin in August 2022 
  • Construction to be completed in May 2033

As the project is currently envisioned, Fire Station #16 will remain operational during construction,

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Houston Fire Station No. 16 At 1700 Richmond Ave.
  • 2 months later...