Biggest Buildings In Houston In Terms Of Square Footage

lockmat

Skyscrapers are tending to have bigger floor plates these days, right? So I was wondering if there was a list somewhere that ranked the buildings by their square footage. I wonder if there are some that actually look much shorter but in reality are the same or even bigger than their taller counterparts, just because of their wider footprint.

Anyone know of one?

Skyscrapers are tending to have bigger floor plates these days, right? So I was wondering if there was a list somewhere that ranked the buildings by their square footage. I wonder if there are some that actually look much shorter but in reality are the same or even bigger than their taller counterparts, just because of their wider footprint.

Anyone know of one?

There are lists out there. CoStar and O'Connor & Associates come to mind, but you'd have to pay for it. Emporis isn't as all-inclusive as the others.

There are certainly some outliers that fit your criteria, including the huge and yet nearly invisible Shell and Conoco campuses off of I-10. Still, I don't think that there's a significant correlation between the age of buildings and floorplate size going back for about the past half-century.

A perusal of HCAD data shows that the largest building appears to be 1000 Louisiana with 1.8 million sq ft. 600 Travis is second. actually, it looks like the Galleria is the biggest, but came up further down the list because the net rentable area is about half the total area. I also doubt the Galleria counts as a single building.

You too can do this by downloading the dataset from the public data page of HCAD. I haven't finished importing everything into Access yet - it takes a while.

• 3 months later...

the America Tower, and the older Wortham Tower beside it, HQ'd American General insurance, one of the best independent insurers in the country. Because it was such a prize, American International Group decided earlier this decade to outgun the other purchasers around the country who'd have merged with it. Word was, at that time (which now has to be prefaced "even at the time"), that AIG were unscrupulous and would cook the books in whatever way was needed -- both to make themselves look like a trusted investment in the first place, and to convince American General to throw in its future with them. This was after we in Houston had a merger deal with Prudential PLC of London. Well, in more recent months, AIG has begun trying to sell off life insurance assets to UK Pru. Wortham was a protege of the George R Brown era of Texan politics, and no need to pity what became of his legacy, but it could all have gone much better for the thinkers and families and communities here.

Most will say the biggest buildings here are the Wal distribution centers in semirural Chambers County - something like 2Msf each. But an upcoming Exxon corporate complex in Conroe could eventually total 4Msf or more. JSC is not a complex in the same sense, but the Harris County justice center of multiple midrise jails and courts is; and in that case the VA, or the TMC itself, may be. 1000 Louisiana is your easiest answer.

• The title was changed to Biggest Buildings In Houston In Terms Of Square Footage

Archived