JPMorgan Chase Building At 712 Main St.

citizen4rmptown

The Gulf Building has been sold to Brookfield.

"Brookfield Real Estate Opportunity Fund has acquired three local office buildings — including the historic 712 Main in downtown Houston — as part of a portfolio purchased from JPMorgan Chase.

The division of New York-based Brookfield Asset Management Inc. recently acquired 16 buildings with a total of 2.9 million square feet across the country for an undisclosed amount.

CB Richard Ellis Inc. has been hired to lease and manage the historic building. Matt Dunn and Dave Hanusa are handling the assignment."

The quote insertion isn't working, so I just used this, " ".

link: http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/02/08/daily49.html?surround=lfn

The Gulf Building has been sold to Brookfield.

"Brookfield Real Estate Opportunity Fund has acquired three local office buildings — including the historic 712 Main in downtown Houston — as part of a portfolio purchased from JPMorgan Chase.

The division of New York-based Brookfield Asset Management Inc. recently acquired 16 buildings with a total of 2.9 million square feet across the country for an undisclosed amount.

CB Richard Ellis Inc. has been hired to lease and manage the historic building. Matt Dunn and Dave Hanusa are handling the assignment."

The quote insertion isn't working, so I just used this, " ".

link: http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/02/08/daily49.html?surround=lfn

My first job in Houston after returning here from KC in 1966 was at Gulf Oil in their Data Processing Dept. I believe that Texas Bank of Commerce occupied the first floor at that time. Well, one of the larger banks anyway. One of the perks of working at Gulf, besides a discount Gulf credit card, was free checking at that bank. At that time, all the major oil companies had their own credit cards, no Visa or MC back then.

This was during the time of the big Orange Lollipop on the top. Most people thought it was not something befitting the building.

• 6 months later...

Found out about this from a Metro alert:

Due to the fire at the JP Morgan Chase building, METRO has shut down METRORail between UH-Downtown and the Downtown Transit Center and is now running a bus bridge between those platforms. METRORail is running normally between the Downtown Transit Center and Fannin South Park & Ride.

More information:

http://www.khou.com/news/-Firefighters-battle-4-alarm-blaze-at-Chase-building-downtown--101849338.html

Here's the official Houston Architecture Info page about the building.

And a pic of the beloved former Gulf Building:

JPMorganChaseBankBuildingHoustonDowntown-Jan08-002a.jpg

(a.k.a., the Gulf Building.)

This is one of Houston's most beautiful historic buildings. I hope the damage wasn't severe.

With the fire on the 27th floor, you know some of that gingerbread is going to get smoke damage. But then, this might be a blessing in disguise, as the entire top may have to be cleaned.

(a.k.a., the Gulf Building.)

This is one of Houston's most beautiful historic buildings. I hope the damage wasn't severe.

TX-00457-C.jpg

I worked there when the orange lolipop was on top. Most of us were not aware at the time but the building then was considered a laughing stock. I do agree, it is one of Houston's most beautiful buildings.

By the end of the news tonight, one of the channels was reporting that the fire was "contained". Can't say for sure which station it was as I was flipping stations for updates.

This just in from HFD:

Building Fire at 712 Main

The Houston Fire Department responded to a fire at 712 Main about 8 p.m. last night, August 30, 2010. The fire was contained to the 27th floor of the structure. The 3-alarm fire was tapped out at 12:20 a.m. this morning with more than 270 HFD personnel responding to the scene.

During the incident, seven firefighters suffered minor smoke inhalation. One firefighter was treated on scene and the other six were transported to local hospitals. All have been released from the hospital.

Houston Fire Department Arson investigators and inspectors are currently on scene.

I worked there when the orange lolipop was on top. Most of us were not aware at the time but the building then was considered a laughing stock. I do agree, it is one of Houston's most beautiful buildings.

By the end of the news tonight, one of the channels was reporting that the fire was "contained". Can't say for sure which station it was as I was flipping stations for updates.

Why was it considered a joke? Because of the lollipop?

And a pic of the beloved former Gulf Building:

JPMorganChaseBankBuildingHoustonDowntown-Jan08-002a.jpg

Channel 13 used that pic as well as a couple of others in their 10pm newscast last night. The copyright and URL were only briefly visible at the bottom of each photo, as they kept covering them up with text banners containing key facts about the building's history.

Channel 13 used that pic as well as a couple of others in their 10pm newscast last night. The copyright and URL were only briefly visible at the bottom of each photo, as they kept covering them up with text banners containing key facts about the building's history.

That's too bad. But there's not much I can do about it. Because it was a breaking news situation, it falls under Fair Use.

This is not the same as when KHOU steals photos and entire articles from my web sites to use on its own web site after I deny its web producers permission to use them. And when I explain the situation on the phone to KHOU's #2 in charge he still fails to fix it, and when KHOU's patent company in Dallas violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act by refusing to take the required actions spelled out under the law. That's just outright plagiarism, theft and copyright violation.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

Last I heard officials still haven't determined the cause of the fire. As to the water supply problem: there are actually two different standpipes for the building. One serves the lower floors and the other the upper floors. (Fairly common for high rises) They were labeled wrong and HFD thought they were pumping into the upper floors but were really pumping into the lower sections. Of course firefighters on the 27th floor were screaming for more water pressure and they kept increasing the pressure until the lower standpipe was damaged, again having no idea they were pumping into the wrong one. Once they connected to the right one they were able to get the fire under control. Hopefully building management has corrected this problem and will decide to go ahead and fully sprinkler the building. Could have saved them 10 million. 

FYI

Last I heard officials still haven't determined the cause of the fire. As to the water supply problem: there are actually two different standpipes for the building. One serves the lower floors and the other the upper floors. (Fairly common for high rises) They were labeled wrong and HFD thought they were pumping into the upper floors but were really pumping into the lower sections. Of course firefighters on the 27th floor were screaming for more water pressure and they kept increasing the pressure until the lower standpipe was damaged, again having no idea they were pumping into the wrong one. Once they connected to the right one they were able to get the fire under control. Hopefully building management has corrected this problem and will decide to go ahead and fully sprinkler the building. Could have saved them 10 million. 

With all respect - your explanation is plausible - where did you hear this?

The results could have been tragic. I hope someone lost his job.

Why was it considered a joke? Because of the lollipop?

Yes, I believe that was the thinking back then. Folks would say something about the Gulf Building, laugh, then qualify the laugh with a remark about the big orange sucker on top. I don't remember exactly how long it was up there, I changed jobs and didn't keep up with it any longer.

It was really brightly lit at night, must have cost a bundle even then.

With all respect - your explanation is plausible - where did you hear this?

The results could have been tragic. I hope someone lost his job.

I have several friends in the "business". This tidbit came from the person that was repairing the ruptured fire line. It's going to be very difficult to place the blame on someone because who knows how long it's been that way? Just move on and make sure the building is well protected in the future. 

I have several friends in the "business". This tidbit came from the person that was repairing the ruptured fire line. It's going to be very difficult to place the blame on someone because who knows how long it's been that way? Just move on and make sure the building is well protected in the future. 

I worked on a major remodel on this building back in the middle 80's. The stand pipes were labeled correctly then when we left, I can guarantee it.

• The title was changed to JPMorgan Chase Building At 712 Main St.
  • The title was changed to JPMorgan Chase Building At 712 Main St.

Archived