Is Dallas Considered A "newer" City Than Houston?

Does it look newer than Houston?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Does it look newer than Houston?

• Yes
    • No
    • Both are same

QUOTE(713 To 214 @ Monday, July 18th, 2005 @ 5:43pm)

Not only are Houston's expensive neighborhoods spread out, but so are many things. That's one thing I don't like about Houston. It's too spread out IMO. But that's just me. I prefer a more dense urban environment.

This is an inaccurate assessment.

what is inaccurate about it?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but his statement wasn't inaccurate... houston is spread out.

personally, i prefer the nice areas of town to all be relatively close together. I don't like living in garden oaks and having the trash ghetto a block away... and the closest grocery store Fiesta and Foodtown.

I think both cities are identical. Their densities are nearly equal, with Houston slightly denser. They both have far flung suburbs. And they both have expensive sections that spread out.

Dallas has Turtle Creek and Highland Park, but then it spreads north into the northern suburbs.

Houston has River Oaks, which heads south to West U and Bellaire and west through the Galleria and the Villages, but also Sugar Land and parts of The Woodlands.

Other than Houston being twice the size, I don't see a difference. If you include all of DFW, you need to include Ft Worth's Westover Hills and west/southwest side.

I can sort of understand Danes point, being that he's in Garden Oaks. Right across Yale is Independence Heights, which is very old with moderate income households. While IH isn't a very large area (maybe 4 square miles altogether), it kind of sticks out when viewed next to Garden Oaks, Oak Forest and the other middle class neighborhoods to the north, west and south.

There's a Krogers in the Oak Forest shopping plaza that's probably about two miles away from you, Danes, on W. 43rd. and Ella. I've been a couple of times and it's one of your typical newly designed Krogers. Has a pretty good deli, too.

As for IH, there are still a couple of nice homes but like with parts of Acres Homes and almost all of Settegast, infrastructure has been neglected (ridiculously narrow streets, ditches for drainage, etc) and there is almost no accompanying retail. The stretch on N. Main from the North Loop to about Crosstimbers has a good amount of blight.

That's one of Houston's shortcomings, IMO; you have poorer neighborhoods that are relatively small but are neglected and stand out when surrounding by more typical middle income or even upper income neighborhoods. Now, I'd also not like to see poorer neighborhoods shuffled off to an obscure section of the city so that it can really be forgotten either. What I'd most like to see is infrastructure in these communities at least be addressed in the physical rather than the verbal. Bob Lanier vowed to improve infrastructure in these communities but left office before much of it began and it sort of died out under Lee Brown and has virtually been forgotten by Bill White.

Anyway, Danes, like I said, check out the Krogers!

"Houston's expensive neighborhoods are spread out between River Oaks, Rice U, and Upper Kirby and dillute the development scale."

Wait, those neighborhoods are all next door to each other!

West U is only separated from Upper Kirby from a small stretch of Houston, and River Oaks borders Upper Kirby.

"Houston's expensive neighborhoods are spread out between River Oaks, Rice U, and Upper Kirby and dillute the development scale."

Wait, those neighborhoods are all next door to each other!

West U is only separated from Upper Kirby from a small stretch of Houston, and River Oaks borders Upper Kirby.

That's what I was thinking.

I visited houston last weekend and I loved it.As far as it looking newer than Dallas I would have to say Yes and no. The reason I say yes is because I noticed that houston has alot of projects in the works and when they are complete it will feel newer.But on the other hand I would have to agree with the fact that with all of the new things going on down there being spread out it's somewhat a little harder to get the full feel of being a newer city.Dallas Presents this new feel a little easier because the areas that are considered newer in dallas are bigger, therefore you feel like you are in a whole new city when you visit these areas. And the fact that they are closer to each other it makes the city newer as a whole...............Both cities are Great IMO.Just two different feels. :D

welcome. and good post, i agree... for the most part

(my brother lived in coppell, and we have friends in mesquite, so i get to see a lot of dallas - old and new, which makes the feel not much different from houston)

Whoa!! Didnt know the D an the H had this much drama I'd be happy just to be in Texas lol I've noticed a different landscape between Houston an Dallas since who ever brought up the pastures...Outside Dallas looks like the sterotypical wild west like you could imagine amaridillos an ranches running around but Houston is just so wooded it s almost suspicious lol(not knocking the H since im moving there)

I am kinda over the whole Dallas v. Houston thing. I grew up in Houston, after college moved to Dallas. To me, they are both great cities that have excellent futures in store. First and foremost, we are Texans. We should not be bashing each other like this. We are better than that.

Dallas is a good city, so is Houston. Neither one of them feel newer or older but Dallas has less trees and slightly better air so one thing for sure, Dallas is a little bit cleaner. Driving up through Dallas, you see much of the similar things you'd see in Houston. You see the country, ghettos, shotgun shacks, hi-rise and mid-rise lofts and apartments and some urban development. But being that Houston is larger, it has a little bit more to work with.

I haven't been here in a while, and I made a comment that Dallas was more forward thinking than Houston. I really need to emphasize that I live in Houston and love it and would live here over Dallas any day. And in fact, we excel over Dallas in many areas of urban development, most notably the revitalization of downtown. All I was trying to point out is that we have to be aware of what is good about our "competitor" cities or we're doomed to rest on imaginary laurels while they zoom by us.

As for Houston not getting the recognition it deserves, this is true. We are a world class city with a world class urban environment. We need to let the world know so. Dallas is an expert at marketing itself, so much so that it's pretty much synonymous with Texas. People in general haven't the faintest idea that Houston is the larger city by almost double (or that it's the fourth largest city in the US).

I've seen two reports on CNN in the last few weeks that showed the phrase "Houston, Texas" below the talking head that they were interviewing. Do you think they would put ",Texas" after "Dallas"? I think not. By the way, they are breaking the rules in that Houston is one of a handful of cities that are not supposed to be accompanied by their state name in news reports, but you get my point.

I've seen two reports on CNN in the last few weeks that showed the phrase "Houston, Texas" below the talking head that they were interviewing.

That wouldn't surprise me. CNN doesn't even have Houston in its weather scroll amongst every other major city at the bottom of the screen. :rolleyes:

I haven't been here in a while, and I made a comment that Dallas was more forward thinking than Houston.  I really need to emphasize that I live in Houston and love it and would live here over Dallas any day.  And in fact, we excel over Dallas in many areas of urban development, most notably the revitalization of downtown.  All I was trying to point out is that we have to be aware of what is good about our "competitor" cities or we're doomed to rest on imaginary laurels while they zoom by us.

As for Houston not getting the recognition it deserves, this is true.  We are a world class city with a world class urban environment.  We need to let the world know so.  Dallas is an expert at marketing itself, so much so that it's pretty much synonymous with Texas.  People in general haven't the faintest idea that Houston is the larger city by almost double (or that it's the fourth largest city in the US). 

I've seen two reports on CNN in the last few weeks that showed the phrase "Houston, Texas" below the talking head that they were interviewing.  Do you think they would put ",Texas" after "Dallas"?  I think not.  By the way, they are breaking the rules in that Houston is one of a handful of cities that are not supposed to be accompanied by their state name in news reports, but you get my point.

You're talking about what they call a Date Line. Cities such as NYC, Chicago, LA, Houston, Dallas and other major media markets do not have the state listed after them because they're reached a size and recognition level that the state name is considered to be unnecessary. The only time you're supposed to see the state name after say, Dallas, is when you're not talking about THE largest city named Dallas - in this case Dallas, TX. I don't know why CNN would run a label with "Houston, Texas". It's not like people don't know what state Houston is in.

I do think that Dallas has reached such a level of fame, however, that it is easily the most famous city in the state. And, because it has the nickname Big D... I think some people probably assume incorrectly that it's the largest city in Texas. But, other cities suffer from similar misconceptions. For instance, many people in this forum were shocked to learn that Fort Worth is now the 19th largest U.S. city and gaining on several in the list. FW is larger than DC, Boston, Seattle, Denver, Vegas, and many other more recognizable cities. By the end of the decade FW could even jump as high as 15th largest city. According to recent predictions FW could be in the high 700's or mid 800's by 2010. Likewise, most people don't realize that San Jose California is now the 10th largest city - larger than Detroit. And, who would have thought that Jacksonville FL was one of the largest cities in the country? It's just Public Relations issues that certain city's CVB need to address and attack.

Don't use CNN as any barometer for journalism guidlines. They have gone down hill, and have the lowest ratings of all news stations at the moment.

Houston welcomes Welsh opera head:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4686171.stm

Same thing when they mention us on BBC Radio. "A letter from Houston".

Also, CNN is calling JSC - Johnson Space Cener, Texas. Then they sign off from Houston. Silly.

Houston needs to continue in its mission to becoming a more forward thinking city.

That's why Downtown/Midtown areas are remaining still right now. Because they're not really making the areas appealing to where people want to visit and live. We need more shops, restaurants, and more entertainment venues (Movie Theatre, Bowling Alley, Arcade,). The Aquarium is great but it can't hold it all by itself.

I think the reason downtown Fort Worth is doing so well is because they've livened the place up with the Sundance Square and all the entertainment options. The same could happen in Houston, but it seems that the developers are getting more and more lazy, thinking that they've done so much, they can just sit back and relax. No, there's no time for sitting back. While Houston's sitting back, other cities are continuing to thrive.

there are quite a few Houston's in the US. Sometimes CNN has Houston on the weather instead of Dallas. It just depends. Although from a broad - national weather sense Dallas is able to cover all of Texas, Oklahoma, and parts of the plains better than Houston - which covers parts of the gulf!

• 2 weeks later...
I visited houston last weekend and I loved it.As far as it looking newer than Dallas I would have to say Yes and no. The reason I say yes is because I noticed that houston has alot of projects in the works and when they are complete it will feel newer.But on the other hand I would have to agree with the fact that with all of the new things going on down there being spread out it's somewhat a little harder to get the full feel of being a newer city.Dallas Presents this new feel a little easier because the areas that are considered newer in dallas are bigger, therefore you feel like you are in a whole new city when you visit these areas. And the fact that they are closer to each other it makes the city newer as a whole...............Both cities are Great IMO.Just two different feels. :D

Yes, both cities are awesome. Certainly Dallas has things Houston would like to have and vice versa. All in all, we have two great metro areas in Texas. The competition makes both of these big cities even better.

Yes, both cities are awesome.  Certainly Dallas has things Houston would like to have and vice versa.  All in all, we have two great metro areas in Texas.  The competition makes both of these big cities even better.

I agree with you 100%. I grew up in Houston, moved to Austin at 18 to college, then left Austin for Dallas. Thought I was betraying my family by not moving home. While I miss Houston everyday, there are things I really do appreciate about Dallas. The Uptown part of the city is simply amazing. Also, Dallas has taken a step forward as far as architecture is concerned. The bridges that are going over the Trinity are awesome. Funding was just completed a few weeks ago and construction should start soon. If you have never been to Dallas, check out the Nasher. One word: awesome.

I think of Houston and I think of driving up Memorial drive to downtown. This is one of my favorite drives in all of Texas. The arts district is something any city would envy. The director of MFAH has done a great job turning the MFAH into a truely outstanding museum. I just hope when the time comes to build a new wing, they pick someone that is forward thinking and looks to Houston's past. When I say this I am talking about the downtown that was so forward thinking in the late 70s and 80s. I also hope that the light rail can be expanded to the Galleria, Katy, Sugarland etc. Every great city does need affordable transportation that is available to all its citizens.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly this has turned in to one of the more collegial threads in this section.

Both cities have strong attributes and weaknesses.

The more competition and analysis between the cities, the stronger both become.

That works as long as the discussion stays objective and does not degenerate into defensive boastfulness.

We can take a lot of pride and learn a lot from both cities!

Dallas might not be necessarily "newer" but it does try more different and modern things to give it more of an urban ambience to it that some of the things Houston is just now doing to catch up on. Dallas got a head start on rail, making modifications to the Central Expwy, Mockingbird Station, and Uptown (although Uptown Dallas really has no character and diversity right now).

The point is, is that there are a few things that Dallas does that i'd like to see Houston try to match or even do better. Dallas is ahead of Houston when it comes to Public Transportation options. Houston acts like it's scared to try something new away from the freeway system. :(

• 1 month later...
Dallas might not be necessarily "newer" but it does try more different and modern things to give it more of an urban ambience to it that some of the things Houston is just now doing to catch up on. Dallas got a head start on rail, making modifications to the Central Expwy, Mockingbird Station, and Uptown (although Uptown Dallas really has no character and diversity right now).

The point is, is that there are a few things that Dallas does that i'd like to see Houston try to match or even do better. Dallas is ahead of Houston when it comes to Public Transportation options. Houston acts like it's scared to try something new away from the freeway system. :(

that's a pretty astute comment but how would any of you people on this board compare the developments that are going on in Houston and the developments going on in Dallas. I see Dallas ain't waistin' no time with getting the Victory development off the ground. Does Houston have a major development project like this? No. Houston already has Downtown, TMC, UT, Westchase, and the Medical Centers going up in Midtown.

Sorry to say this folks, but as forward-thinking as Dallas is, I'm scared that Dallas will continue to be the crown jewel of Texas.

I'm scared that Dallas will continue to be the crown jewel of Texas.

According to whom?

Like small-town football rivalries, the importance is overrated. Most Americans couldn't distinguish an identity between Houston or Dallas, nor could they care less. They're both big Texas cities, is all.

It's an intrastate rivalry.

Angry Houstonians. That's the image we sometimes put out. It's bad enough that we get a bad rap for our crazy traffic and rude drivers. We can be some of the kindest people in the nation (remember Katrina and the Astrodome and the open arms), yet, we can be some of the rudest people too. Just and observation.

Archived