Is Dallas Considered A "newer" City Than Houston?

Does it look newer than Houston?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Does it look newer than Houston?

• Yes
    • No
    • Both are same

i voted no simply because Houston is larger and has more areas to work with as to where Dallas is slightly more compact in size (i.e its downtown and uptown areas).

What i don't get is why everyone is so impressed with Dallas's uptown area that shows so much pedestrian friendly areas. Even though TMC might not be as close to the downtown core (like uptown dallas), Houston has similar urban developments and activity at the Texas Medical Center.

The Texas Medical Center is probably one of the best urban areas in Houston. It even contains a few shops right off the railline such as Chipoltle, Starbucks, and a Sushi Bar.

So if we draw comparisons, we could say that Dallas's downtown is comparable to Houston's downtown, Uptown Dallas is comparable to Houston's Texas Medical Center area. Uptown Houston could hold its own against downtown Fort Worth as far as skylines go but it lacks the urbanity and pedestrian friendly areas that Fort Worth has.

That's my humble take on it. No one city is newer, it's just the two cities are different sizes so therefore the developments are on different scales. B)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i voted no simply because Houston is larger and has more areas to work with as to where Dallas is slightly more compact in size (i.e its downtown and uptown areas).

What i don't get is why everyone is so impressed with Dallas's uptown area that shows so much pedestrian friendly areas. Even though TMC might not be as close to the downtown core (like uptown dallas), Houston has similar urban developments and activity at the Texas Medical Center.

The Texas Medical Center is probably one of the best urban areas in Houston. It even contains a few shops right off the railline such as Chipoltle, Starbucks, and a Sushi Bar.

So if we draw comparisons, we could say that Dallas's downtown is comparable to Houston's downtown, Uptown Dallas is comparable to Houston's Texas Medical Center area. Uptown Houston could hold its own against downtown Fort Worth as far as skylines go but it lacks the urbanity and pedestrian friendly areas that Fort Worth has.

That's my humble take on it. No one city is newer, it's just the two cities are different sizes so therefore the developments are on different scales. B)

I agree with much of this, but I would not compare Houston's TMC with Uptown Dallas. Both are secondary "urban neighborhoods" to the CBD, but they are really quite different. TMC is much more of a business (medical) district, which is probably more comparable to downtown Dallas than Uptown (and possibly more dense with business than downtown Dallas). Uptown Dallas is more residential and restaurant oriented, there is some business but it is not the primary usage.

Aside from this, I think the Texas Medical Center is a very interesting and unique urban neighborhood that is often overlooked in Texas.

• 5 months later...

Well,

I'm from New Orleans, I have been to most major cities in this country and have family that live in Houston, but I have been to both many times, i would prob not move to texas. I would definately move to dallas, it has much more of a white collar vibe that I like, I love the Frisco area, and it seems a little less diverse than Houston.

To be fair, I think there are a lot of areas in outlying Houston where you could get the same vibe as Frisco. Someone currently in Houston could provide better information, but I suspect you could also find areas in Sugarland, Katy, and The Woodlands to your liking (although, less diverse? -- really?!? :( ) . Please correct me if I am wrong.

• 1 year later...
they do have nice parts ,just like any other citiy. Maybe it's just me, but the drive from desoto to the "market" area(via I-35) was hideous.also from grand prairie to garland seemed pretty old.the only newness i felt was las colinas, the galleria area and everything north of that.You should take my tour. Why is it when most people visit dallas and consider it pretty,they haven't ventured any farther than plano and frisco?

I'm offended. I grew up in Lancaster, which is the east side (Northbound) of I-35E. The actual corridor that runs through Lancaster/DeSoto is not great, but once you drive through both towns, they are nice. Lancaster is an average pre-civil war town. Great town square, lot of old trees, and lots of nice old restored homes to look at. Now, Highland Park is gorgeous. H.P. was layed out by the same man who layed out Beverly Hills. I would never live there, because it's over priced. Teardowns are starting in the high 500's, and the average home price there is in the low 900's for a house under 1500 square feet. If you don't know where Highland Park is, it is basically at the intersection of Preston/Oak Lawn and Mockingbird. Highland Park is also renowned for having one of the first shopping centers in the country. Highland Park Village has high end stores like, Chanel, Hermes, and Williams-Sonoma. http://www.hpvillage.com/

I lived in Plano for a shor time, and I will never move there again. It's one of those towns that's too perfect. The whole town is one big, overpriced subdivision; a blob of huge tract homes. Same thing goes for Frisco, even though their mall and Plano's Willow Bend are nice.

Maybe I mispoke. My reference to comparable/houston was that out of every city I've ever lived in, Houston is the only place where the first question I was asked was "which do you like better, houston or dallas?" To this day, two years later, when I tell someone I moved here from Dallas, its the immediate response.

The PDiddy thing... yeah, rap/hiphop has ruined Deep Ellum.

You know that Deep Ellum was originally the segregated version of downtown Dallas. That was where a majority of the area's black leaders had thier businesses from the late 1890's up until desegregation. Deep Ellum even a Knights of Pythias orginization.

Just my opinion, but I believe part of the perception that Dallas is the most prominent city in Texas is because of it's location. Houston is an out-of-the-way location unless it is a destination. That can be a problem. Millions of people pass through Dallas on their way to the east from the west, or west to east. We live on I-10 in southern NM and this goes directly into El Paso on the east. Not nearly as many vehicles travel I-10 as they do I-40 to the north of us. We generally get the "winter" traffic. Dallas is in a crossroads location and this serves them well. This is one reason that Houston and Galveston need to market themselves to the entire U.S. and not limit themselves to Texas. We get the "Texas" magazine free in our Sunday paper, but does this also apply to Los Angeles, NY, Florida or Detroit?? Probably not. To get good coverage on Houston, we have The Animal Planet/Houston. That's about all the U.S. hears about Houston.

Greystone (Returns)

Is that a new thing?

He's not really a regular on this forum anymore, but i remember greystone08 was a member on the old houston forum before it crashed. When the new HAIF came up, he added (RETURNS) to show that he was back. At least that's what i remember him explaining in one of his posts or pms.

• 2 weeks later...
To be fair, I think there are a lot of areas in outlying Houston where you could get the same vibe as Frisco. Someone currently in Houston could provide better information, but I suspect you could also find areas in Sugarland, Katy, and The Woodlands to your liking (although, less diverse? -- really?!? :( ) . Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ft. Bend County (Sugarland) is quite possibly THE most diverse county & suburb in Texas

The Woodlands & Katy are prediminately White, just like Frisco & Plano with the excetion they have a sizable Asian (mostly Chinese) population.

Guest Marty

LOL, I have been called white bread before but never wonder bread. but your are right Montgomery County is full of snow bunnies. :lol::P

Everyone calm down and review the policy on my-city-is-better-than-your-city flamewars.

Also, everyone look at the top of the page and notice that this section of the forum is "Dallas/Fort Worth/Metroplex." It's expected that there will be a certain amount of northern jingoism. It's OK. Take it with a grain of salt. Remember, we are their hosts and they are our guests on this forum. Let's treat each other with a little more respect.

Everyone calm down and review the policy on my-city-is-better-than-your-city flamewars.

Also, everyone look at the top of the page and notice that this section of the forum is "Dallas/Fort Worth/Metroplex." It's expected that there will be a certain amount of northern jingoism. It's OK. Take it with a grain of salt. Remember, we are their hosts and they are our guests on this forum. Let's treat each other with a little more respect.

I moved to Texas when I was young (Houston, to be specific), but now live in Dallas. I still love both cities (for different reasons), But totally do not understand the "northern jingoism" concept... What the hell does that mean?!?

Houston and Dallas are much more similar than many of us want to believe!

The rivalry is fun, but to the rest of the world, we are just "Texas" - they don't know Houston from Dallas...

We really need to set our differences aside and represent ourselves jointly to the world

• 2 months later...
Well, Houston was founded before Dallas. But I guess the real question is which city "feels" newer, mabey. Not really shure about that one. Parts of houston look very rustic, industrial, and just gritty, and have a pretty old feel to it. But then there is Uptown, and the energy/financial districts of downtown, which are pretty darn futuristic. The question I think generalizes two cities that vary extremeley between the two sides. It cant really be answered accurately.

Agreed. Because of the nature of our differing econnomic identities, I would guess that Dallas will always appear to be "newer" than Houston (no ship channel or large industrial district).

East Houston is just old looking, and in a class by itself, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oddly enough, West Houston looks to me like stereotypical Dallas and DFW infill. The Katy Freeway is a dead-ringer for the I-30 corridor.

Archived