Bier Haus Under Seige

ricco67

I've been following this before it the chronicle (article) and this saddens me quite a bit. Having gone here a couple of times and its never been rowdy, but I've heard of some of the goings on with the neighbors over at the tower.

Knowing this has been going on for a few months, I NEVER thought it would go up to this level, but I guess when grownups don't behave like grownups, it happens.

Wouldn't the Tower's management be responsible for the owner's behavior?

Now that the co-owner took things in his own hands, I'm afraid this establishment might be in trouble now that he's been charged with assault, any resulting lawsuit might sink this business.

:angry2:

The unpleasantness peaked December 13. The bar laid out a Sunday night holiday buffet and had Ronnie Renfrow's 15-piece big band set to play. But water cascading from the garage rained down on patrons, the band and its electrical equipment. Kellogg said a trumpet player slipped in the water and broke a finger.

Cave said in court papers that he went to the condo and was eventually successful in turning off the water at a faucet on a condo's porch. In the process, Frederick said an angry Cave took the concierge by his tie, broke his phone and forced his way up in the elevator. And they have videotape of it all, Frederick said.

Hahaha, would love to have seen this go down.

I must not be a yuppie, then, because I've made/experienced many a cascaron. They were a popular small-scale fund raiser for school clubs at one time a few years ago.

However appealing the mental image of their "delivery" may be, the thought of how one would actually make manure-filled eggs and convince someone with an upscale R/C chopper to actually use it that way is a little...daunting?

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Regarding exhibit A, I do read Swamplot.com and the last post on that 'exhibit', from "matt mystery" does not sound like the matt mystery that frequently posts there. IMO, the regular poster named matt mystery would never have confused the words their and there.

Curious too that the last two posts shown on exhibit A are no longer on the original thread at Swamplot.com. (If they ever were on the tread at all)

Regarding exhibit A, I do read Swamplot.com and the last post on that 'exhibit', from "matt mystery" does not sound like the matt mystery that frequently posts there. IMO, the regular poster named matt mystery would never have confused the words their and there.

Curious too that the last two posts shown on exhibit A are no longer on the original thread at Swamplot.com. (If they ever were on the tread at all)

It's easy to spoof a name when commenting on a Wordpress-based blogs, but less easy is an email address. I imagine that it wouldn't be so hard for the justice department make Swamplot cough up the hidden email addresses, would it?

Wow, my sister plays at the bier haus on occasion, I always enjoy it when I go, great place and terrific atmosphere.

It's sad to read this for sure, the Devil in me wants to become more of a patron of this place to not only support them against dill holes that would endanger people's lives, but to add to the noise that pisses them off.

I wonder though, if the bar owner gets the appropriate noise approval stuff, I am sure he does now.

Anyway, sad to hear.

Well, the posts must have been up for at least a little while, as the COA was able to get a screen shot of it. I wonder how much editorial control over posts that they exercise, though. My posts go up immediately after hitting the post button, so no one is pre-screening my drivel. Of course, I've never posted an incitement to riot, either.

As for the problems selling their condos...I rather suspect that the well-publicized hostility displayed by both residents, their COA, and the COA's lawyers might have a little bit to do with it. I know that I wouldn't want such litigious neighbors...and I'm a lawyer.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to libel, slander or otherwise defame anyone associated with the condos, Rice Village, the City of Houston, or the State of Texas. Further, it does not even describe anyone living in, or associated with, any of the foregoing entities. In fact, it is all a figment of my imagination, and bears no resemblance to anything whatsoever. I do not even claim to have typed the above post at all, and certainly do not mean any of it.

Well, the posts must have been up for at least a little while, as the COA was able to get a screen shot of it. I wonder how much editorial control over posts that they exercise, though. My posts go up immediately after hitting the post button, so no one is pre-screening my drivel....

Your drivel makes other's (supposedly) well thought out posts look like a something a slow thinker would write while wearing a tin foil hat -in a microwave set on high.

I'm pretty sure his Wordpress set up posts comments immediately (unmoderated) and *maybe* requires moderation or CAPTCHA if there are multiple links in the comment.

The only thing Swamplot could have done is delete (moderate) the offending posts after the fact (which is what happened) and require moderation on all future comments. With the amount of comments Swamplot gets, that seems a little unreasonable.

Finally, if the suit is based on the (perhaps forged) matt mystery comment, then that's really ridiculous.

Oh, and I'm stealing this, Red :blush:

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to libel, slander or otherwise defame anyone associated with the condos, Rice Village, the City of Houston, or the State of Texas. Further, it does not even describe anyone living in, or associated with, any of the foregoing entities. In fact, it is all a figment of my imagination, and bears no resemblance to anything whatsoever. I do not even claim to have typed the above post at all, and certainly do not mean any of it.

Yeah, courts have acted pretty defensively against lawsuits on website owners who don't appear to be actively encouraging those types of comments, and who delete them when notified.

I think the issue here would be whether the post can be traced to the owner of Swamplot, which seems to be suggested by the affidavit. If not, then removing the offending post once notified would appear to be all the remedy needed. Holding a website liable for any post would allow an opponent to post offending content, then sue for it being there. If the post DID originate from the computers of Swamplot, that would be much harder to defend. Certainly, the post justified concern. It didn't suggest violence. It promised it. I do find it curious that an actual address was listed in a post on a public forum. Both dangerous and stupid.

I should also note that lawsuits are accusations, not facts. The accusations must be proven. Even the affidavit, which must be sworn, is only one side of the argument, so I would not even quote it as fact, despite it being under oath.

• The title was changed to Bier Haus Under Seige

Archived