$2 Million Car Crashed Off Interstate 45

editor

I love how the tow trucker driver ever so delicately washes his muddy hands in muddy water... before touching the car's leather-wrapped steering wheel (2:40). This video:

I also find it hard to believe that a pelican is to blame for this incident... actually... looking at the crash video... I don't see any pelicans even near the car!

I love how the tow trucker driver ever so delicately washes his muddy hands in muddy water... before touching the car's leather-wrapped steering wheel (2:40). This video:

I also find it hard to believe that a pelican is to blame for this incident... actually... looking at the crash video... I don't see any pelicans even near the car!

Pretty sure that video eliminates the poor pelican as the culprit. No bird seen in video, plus the car drifts to the right rather than jerks, as the driver claims to have done. I believe the cell phone has now become culprit number one as the cause of this car's demise.

Love it.

Pretty sure that video eliminates the poor pelican as the culprit. No bird seen in video, plus the car drifts to the right rather than jerks, as the driver claims to have done. I believe the cell phone has now become culprit number one as the cause of this car's demise.

Love it.

I didn't see a pelican, either. Seemed like a rather smooth ride into the water. Still seems odd that someone actually has a video of it...Bugatti or not, that's pretty random!

Either way, if you can afford a $2 million car then you probably aren't too shaken up about driving one into the water...well, except for making the news. I wonder how insurance works when you get to a vehicle of that value? I also don't understand why you'd let the engine run submerged until it died

Love it.

Actually... looking at the crash video... He appears to simply have missed his turn. He's traveling on the freeway... veers right onto an access road... and then veers right again - into the water. The little jut of land may have confused him. Because just a few seconds later in the video - you see the road you could have turned onto. He probably knows the area, knew he had to make a right turn - but just wasn't watching closely enough.

No pelican. No cell phone. JUST A DUMB ARSE.

I checked wikipedia to see if there was reference to this humorously tragic incident, surely there would be. There was no mention! So I added an entry. I am no longer a wikipedia virgin!

http://en.wikipedia....hicle_Incidents

Notable Vehicle Incidents

On November 11, 2009, the owner of a 2006 Veyron inadvertently drove his vehicle into a salt water lagoon, near Omega Bay, in La Marque, Texas. The vehicle was submerged in approximately two feet of water before it was retrieved. This particular vehicle was one of only 15 in the United States.[32]

Actually... looking at the crash video... He appears to simply have missed his turn. He's traveling on the freeway... veers right onto an access road... and then veers right again - into the water. The little jut of land may have confused him. Because just a few seconds later in the video - you see the road you could have turned onto. He probably knows the area, knew he had to make a right turn - but just wasn't watching closely enough.

No pelican. No cell phone. JUST A DUMB ARSE.

We must be looking at different videos. The one I watched, he was on the feeder in the right lane the entire time...until he drifts off the road into the lagoon.

The cell phone reference comes from the driver, who claimed his cell phone fell onto the floorboard and he reached to pick it up. He then claims that as he looked back up the pelican swooped in and he jerked to miss it. I think the first part is true, but not the second. I think that when he reached down to pick up the phone, he pulled over to the right slightly and caught the grass. Once that wheel caught the grass, it pulled the vehicle harder to the right and he was unable to correct in time to avoid the water.

We must be looking at different videos. The one I watched, he was on the feeder in the right lane the entire time...until he drifts off the road into the lagoon.

The cell phone reference comes from the driver, who claimed his cell phone fell onto the floorboard and he reached to pick it up. He then claims that as he looked back up the pelican swooped in and he jerked to miss it. I think the first part is true, but not the second. I think that when he reached down to pick up the phone, he pulled over to the right slightly and caught the grass. Once that wheel caught the grass, it pulled the vehicle harder to the right and he was unable to correct in time to avoid the water.

There is an approaching on-ramp (making it look like he was veering right - nevermind that)... so yes, he was on the feeder the whole time...

The article says:

"The man jerked the wheel [after claiming to see a pelican], dropped his cell phone [because he jerked the steering wheel], and the car’s front tire left the frontage road and entered a muddy patch, which foiled his attempt to maneuver away from the lagoon."

Where are you getting your details?

It still looks like a controlled, smooth turn, right into the water. He might have been distracted by the cell phone conversation he was having... enough to make him think he was about to turn onto solid land vs. water.

My favorite part:

"A Daily News reporter arrived at the scene about 15 minutes after the car entered the water just in time to see the gurgling exhaust stop bubbling like an outboard motor as the 1001 horsepower engine died."

Sorry, I got it from the Chronicle version.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6718117.html

Frankly, I kinda doubt that the phone suddenly slipped off the center console, either, but giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, if he reached for the floorboard while still holding the steering wheel, he could have inadvertantly pulled it to the right. But, the pelican story is still bogus.

On I-45? More like I-FortyFAIL for him. Lame, I know. :rolleyes:

I remember when these cars first came out, they said they wouldn't sell them to rappers because that wasn't the image Bugatti wanted. I guess they want the image of bad drivers who plow in saltwater instead. :lol:

I am beginning to think this might be fraud?

"Andy Lee House" ... of Lufkin, TX.

Lufkin is in Angelina county.

According to tax records... Mr. House owns two proprieties:

A home built in 2003 valued at 147K.

A commercial building of some sort, 1200 sq ft and 1600 sq ft on .72 acres valued at 48K.

Yet, he was the driver and owner of a 1.25 to $2 million automobile?

How does a 34 year old who lives in Lufkin, TX, who lives in a modest 147K home, come up with that kind of money for a car? Or... maybe he bought the car when the economy was good, but needs to sell it... except, the economy is bad... and well... it is insured.

Problems with the story

The pelican was a lie.

He's 34.

He's from Lufkin.

Arnold Schwarzenegger called him to console him on the loss (per the truck driver - who knows).

Drove off the road in a fairly controlled manner.

Intentionally left the engine running - for 15 minutes - until the car died.

Was completely calm after the event.

...and it just so happens that two guys with a camera got a picture perfect video capture of the event. And just so happened to catch a 1 in 15 type of car, driving down the road - just moments before it went into the water. Does he know these men?

His company web site: http://www.performan...ld.com/about_us

"The leader in salvage rebuilders"

Really? Hmmm... Let's see... the insurance company totals out the car, paying you the value of the vehicle before the wreck... you can buy it back from them for salvage (maybe 20K?) - fix it up... and then resell $$$$. Double dip!

Something doesn't add up here...

Or maybe he just drove off the road.

Let's see here. I got a $1.4 million car I can't pay for anymore. I need to downgrade for that Enzo I have had my eye on. Hmmmmm, look at all that ugly brown water. That would RUIN this car. Time to see just how good my GEICO insurance really is. Wait............is that the googley eyed stack of money taking video of me to my left ? *SPLASH* !!!

I feel the investigation on this one is gonna get weird. Perhaps the Bugatti is a rental. Perhaps this was an episode of Jackass ? Something just isn't adding up.

Bryan.....just saw your website link for Mr.House. He is TOAST ! Unless the Bugatti was already had a salvaged title from a previous mishap?

This is definitely very fishy now that we have a name... Publicity stunt, perhaps? Guy with a high end auto salvage business wrecks a Bugatti into saltwater, on video, and (of course) makes national news? Seems too obvious for insurance fraud, lol

A home built in 2003 valued at 147K.

A commercial building of some sort, 1200 sq ft and 1600 sq ft on .72 acres valued at 48K.

Yet, he was the driver and owner of a 1.25 to $2 million automobile?

How does a 34 year old who lives in Lufkin, TX, who lives in a modest 147K home, come up with that kind of money for a car?

Not all rich folks need to live in $500,000+ Egg MacMegaMansions.

This is definitely very fishy now that we have a name... Publicity stunt, perhaps? Guy with a high end auto salvage business wrecks a Bugatti into saltwater, on video, and (of course) makes national news? Seems too obvious for insurance fraud, lol

Maybe he's in cahoots with balloon boy's dad. After all, THAT seemed too obvious to be a fraud as well!

Not all rich folks need to live in $500,000+ Egg MacMegaMansions.

Yeah, they're called the modest wealthy. I'd be willing to bet that the typical person wanting to drive around a $2 million dollar car isn't on e of those.

Yeah, they're called the modest wealthy. I'd be willing to bet that the typical person wanting to drive around a $2 million dollar car isn't one of those.

Agreed, they're not.

...and a typical person, with the kind of lifestyle that is demanded by having such a car... would never have any reason to be in La Marque, TX, either.

Unless, perhaps, you are from East Texas, put up your entire business as collateral for an exotic car loan (which if you look at his combined "junk" inventory - he might be able to approach/scam $1M)... and have to make monthly payments... which you cannot afford.

His web site: "OVERSEAS BUYERS ARE WELCOME!" ... yea... so you can RIP THEM OFF selling them totaled cars you've remade with your blow torch and welding machine, EastTex style.

But I won't jump to conclusions. He may have just driven off the road, accidentally...

Let's see here. I got a $1.4 million car I can't pay for anymore. I need to downgrade for that Enzo I have had my eye on. Hmmmmm, look at all that ugly brown water. That would RUIN this car. Time to see just how good my GEICO insurance really is. Wait............is that the googley eyed stack of money taking video of me to my left ? *SPLASH* !!!

I feel the investigation on this one is gonna get weird. Perhaps the Bugatti is a rental. Perhaps this was an episode of Jackass ? Something just isn't adding up.

Bryan.....just saw your website link for Mr.House. He is TOAST ! Unless the Bugatti was already had a salvaged title from a previous mishap?

It was believed to be purchased for $1.25M from an Arkansas dealer. These cars don't belong in Arkansas or East Texas. Who knows what the actual title history is... given where this unfortunate car has been. I can't see anyone with any real serious money and sense for these types of cars ever buying one from any place in Arkansas. And certainly not East Texas. Something is up.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to $2 Million Car Crashed Off Interstate 45

Archived