Buc-ee's fan thread: Houston's growing 'Beaver nation'

totheskies

Hey everyone,

I am now officially a Buc-ee's devotee. I love these gas stations... great mugs, exceptional bathrooms, lots of quirky stuff and delicious food. Anyone else a fan?? Share your stories.

I'm a huge fan of their business model and bold iconography. I benchmark their level of automation and sanitation to just about every one of my own personal commercial real estate schemes.

What I wouldn't give to be able to have dinner with the owner...

I'm a huge fan of their business model and bold iconography. I benchmark their level of automation and sanitation to just about every one of my own personal commercial real estate schemes.

What I wouldn't give to be able to have dinner with the owner...

Dude send Tyler an email... I bet he could make it happen. Better get to the owner while they're still "reachable" though.

BTW they're expanding fast. There are even rumours of some prominent Houston area locations that focus on the restaurant and retail stuff, and not necessarily gas... even downtown!!! Personally I think they'd be a hit anywhere they go.

Pass.

Much like Googie, gas stations come and go. They're already late to the restaurant/gas station concept in Houston too; check out Rudy's off of I-45N or 290N. No matter which way they slice their brisket, there is a self-evident hierarchy in architectural typologies and business models and gas station will always be below restaurant (as long as humans are in charge). It would be unstable territory for Buc-ee's to expand into an suburban/urban market where more than location and rapid image branding are necessary to be competitive. If they do, they'd better be able to adapt.

I used to love going there several years back. Last time I went it was so incredibly crowded and had christian music blaring - no thanks. I don't know if the restrooms were sparkling because I didn't even try to elbow my way back to them...

Buc-ee's is ok. Nice restrooms. If I'm driving to or from San Antonio (or Austin via 183) late at night, I'll stop at the one in Luling for the restrooms or for a bag of chips and a soda late at night if I need a snack. Though when I'm headed North on I-45, I prefer to drive about 23 more miles and give my business to Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville. I've dealt with Woody's Smokehouse in the past with car club meetings and they've always treated our group fine, going above and beyond the call of duty to make sure everything goes as planned. Buc-ee's is just kinda Wal-Mart-ish to me. I can see folks wanting to stop for gas and get some BBQ or some trinkets to take home, but a tank of gas and some furniture?

mad-Bucees-Outdoors.jpg

The best gas station anywhere ever is the Czech Stop in West, Texas. You can't buy a wicker chair there, but you can get your hands on the best kolaches in the state.

http://www.czechstop.net/home.php

I'll take that over Buc-ee's wide selection of Nascar t-shirts any day.

I'm still waiting for QT to come to Houston (if ever)...I told my wife about them before I ever took her up to OK, and now every time we visit we have to stop at one

I'm still waiting for QT to come to Houston (if ever)...I told my wife about them before I ever took her up to OK, and now every time we visit we have to stop at one

Yeah, I'm a former resident of Kansas City... love Quick Trip. I wish it would get down to SE Texas already.

But seriously, Buc-ee's is so much more than a gas station. You go to Buc-ee's because they have cool, quirky stuff... which is why I think they have the potential to do somethings independent of gas.

I've been a fan of Buc-ee's for almost 20 years...from early morning and late night trips down to Surfside during college. The Buc-ee's between the Dow Plant and Oyster Creek was a sight better than the Stop N Go in Surfside.

I'm also a big fan of Perry's in Surfside...like a mini Buc-ee's, without the good food, but you can get damn near anything in that place!

If you haven't had a Buc-ee's taco, you should try one.

If you haven't had a Buc-ee's taco, you should try one.

When I did the whole archaeology-for-money thing in the Southeast and the Midwest, I ate fried crap from more than my share of desolate, kudzu-choked one-horse-town gas stations, more than enough to fill ten lifetimes full of wretchedness. So no offense, but I'll pass on the tacos.

Unless I'm hungry. All bets are off then.

When I did the whole archaeology-for-money thing in the Southeast and the Midwest, I ate fried crap from more than my share of desolate, kudzu-choked one-horse-town gas stations, more than enough to fill ten lifetimes full of wretchedness. So no offense, but I'll pass on the tacos.

Unless I'm hungry. All bets are off then.

Maybe you're thinking Taco Bell? These aren't like microwave burritos.

These are made-to-order, nothing fried in them, fresh made tortillas, the pico de gallo is fresh (crunchy)...actual slices of beef/chicken (not ground)

Their breakfast tacos are good too, but just be warned that one does the trick.

I agree with some others that there's plenty of unnecessary crap in Buc-ee's, but their delis are pretty damn good. I like to get gas at Buc-ee's.

Maybe you're thinking Taco Bell? These aren't like microwave burritos.

These are made-to-order, nothing fried in them, fresh made tortillas, the pico de gallo is fresh (crunchy)...actual slices of beef/chicken (not ground)

Their breakfast tacos are good too, but just be warned that one does the trick.

I agree with some others that there's plenty of unnecessary crap in Buc-ee's, but their delis are pretty damn good. I like to get gas at Buc-ee's.

Exactly... made to order food... at a gas station. They've already got their novelty crap food (Beaver nuggets, jerky etc.) but their sandwiches and wraps are seriously good stuff. It's a far cry from fried burritos and gator sticks.

Exactly... made to order food... at a gas station. They've already got their novelty crap food (Beaver nuggets, jerky etc.) but their sandwiches and wraps are seriously good stuff. It's a far cry from fried burritos and gator sticks.

Nastiest crap I've seen but wasn't ballsy enough to try was 3/4 inch thick barbecued bologna. If you ever work up the nerve to try something so filthy and odd, you can find it in most back-country highway gas stations in northern Mississippi and western Tennessee.

Can you find that at Buc-ees?

Nastiest crap I've seen but wasn't ballsy enough to try was 3/4 inch thick barbecued bologna. If you ever work up the nerve to try something so filthy and odd, you can find it in most back-country highway gas stations in northern Mississippi and western Tennessee.

Can you find that at Buc-ees?

I bet barbequed Spam would be better.

I bet barbequed Spam would be better.

You know, I often wondered, of all the hyper-processed meat products, why would anyone choose to barbecue bologna, especially to the point it becomes a regional phenomenon? Seriously, I didn't see this hoodoo at just one place, it was in every Bugtussle and Hooterville gas station I dared to step foot in down there. It didn't matter if the shopkeep was from Vietnam or from Bumfart, that guy sold BBQed bologna next to his fried corndogs. They're as common there as a bag of Doritos and a pot of overcooked coffee is at the local Valero here.

Everyone knows the only way to eat bologna is to fry it. 

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

I am now officially a Buc-ee's devotee. I love these gas stations... great mugs, exceptional bathrooms, lots of quirky stuff and delicious food. Anyone else a fan?? Share your stories.

no way, went into the brand new buc ee's near where i live............priced a pecan pie............$30 for a pecan pie...........gimmie a break.........won't be going to anymore buc ee's, lol

Buc-ee's is ok. Nice restrooms. If I'm driving to or from San Antonio (or Austin via 183) late at night, I'll stop at the one in Luling for the restrooms or for a bag of chips and a soda late at night if I need a snack. Though when I'm headed North on I-45, I prefer to drive about 23 more miles and give my business to Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville. I've dealt with Woody's Smokehouse in the past with car club meetings and they've always treated our group fine, going above and beyond the call of duty to make sure everything goes as planned. Buc-ee's is just kinda Wal-Mart-ish to me. I can see folks wanting to stop for gas and get some BBQ or some trinkets to take home, but a tank of gas and some furniture?

mad-Bucees-Outdoors.jpg

mad-Bucees-Outdoors.jpg

you can have both of the woody's in centerville........they don't hardly make anything (read some of the labels sometime) they have but sandwiches........they order it from somewhere else.........definitely not the jerky capitol of the world, lol..........

Archived