Bluish Purple House At 1333 Heights Blvd.

heights_yankee

The house has been mover and now the corner lot is for sale.

From the Listing:
Recently cleared, important commercial ''once in a lifetime'' Heights corner. Property was replatted to commercial, unrestricted reserve. Perfect for retail or office use. Beautiful frontage on 11th as well as Heights. Approved curb cut on Heights Blvd. Owner can provide plans for a 4,000 S.F. retail center.[/
quote]

It appears that plans for commercial development at that corner are not completely off the table.

The house has been mover and now the corner lot is for sale.

From the Listing:
Recently cleared, important commercial ''once in a lifetime'' Heights corner. Property was replatted to commercial, unrestricted reserve. Perfect for retail or office use. Beautiful frontage on 11th as well as Heights. Approved curb cut on Heights Blvd. Owner can provide plans for a 4,000 S.F. retail center.[/
quote]

It appears that plans for commercial development at that corner are not completely off the table.

not surprising. i wonder what's going to happen to the original house now?

I think the house is safe. That's why they moved it.

right, but will it be renovated and used as a residence or will it be left to rot from neglect or will they use it for commercial? after all, the original plan had them jacking it up and using underneath for additional parking according to posts on here.

right, but will it be renovated and used as a residence or will it be left to rot from neglect or will they use it for commercial? after all, the original plan had them jacking it up and using underneath for additional parking according to posts on here.

I'm not sure. I didn't see those posts, but it appears there may be another parrallel thread. Either way the listing does not include an improvement. It specifically denotes "cleared". The house was moved one lot north. The question might be who wants to buy a cute house next to a strip center?

I'm not sure. I didn't see those posts, but it appears there may be another parrallel thread. Either way the listing does not include an improvement. It specifically denotes "cleared". The house was moved one lot north. The question might be who wants to buy a cute house next to a strip center?

It won't last long with the hole in the top. Ever seen what rain and bugs can do to the inside of a home?

It won't last long with the hole in the top. Ever seen what rain and bugs can do to the inside of a home?

another demolition by neglect, i guess. like the owner knows there will be an outcry if he demos a house on the historic register so he just lets it deteriorate until it's no longer livable. we had this happen in my neighborhood. sad.

Does anyone know if the bluish-purple house just south of 14th Street on the west side has sold? I was browsing through HAR.com and could not find it but had not seen anything posted here.

I have had my eye on the property for a while, in the hopes of restoring it. Maybe if it was purchased the person/company will try to get the building back into shape.

Does anyone know if the bluish-purple house just south of 14th Street on the west side has sold? I was browsing through HAR.com and could not find it but had not seen anything posted here.

I have had my eye on the property for a while, in the hopes of restoring it. Maybe if it was purchased the person/company will try to get the building back into shape.

Looks like it was. HAR recently listed

Heights Reserve, aka Harry James, builder of the next-door brownstones (and destroyer of other things) owned it HCAD Record.

Note that the HAR listing shows Ashton Martini/Boulevard Realty as the selling broker. He reps a number of new home builders in the Heights, so I am tending to believe it will not be retored.

Looks like it was. HAR recently listed

Heights Reserve, aka Harry James, builder of the next-door brownstones (and destroyer of other things) owned it HCAD Record.

Note that the HAR listing shows Ashton Martini/Boulevard Realty as the selling broker. He reps a number of new home builders in the Heights, so I am tending to believe it will not be retored.

rolleyes.gif

Guess I should go take some pictures for posterity.

I would take it as a hint when a few of the "brownstones" still haven't sold to not keeping doing the same thing. I have a feeling the "row houses" crammed onto 13th won't sell either.

Either way, thanks for the info!

Am I crazy or does the row house concept not work here unless you have usable alley space for parking and people who will actually take Metro?

I would take it as a hint when a few of the "brownstones" still haven't sold to not keeping doing the same thing. I have a feeling the "row houses" crammed onto 13th won't sell either.

Either way, thanks for the info!

Am I crazy or does the row house concept not work here unless you have usable alley space for parking and people who will actually take Metro?

Only 3 of the places on 13th have sold; 4 others are still on the market. Not sure if Metro is a factor or not, but the usable alley is a big deal. The esthetic of the house sitting on top of its garage just isn't all that appealing.

It's a shame about those row houses on 13th; they could have been so much better. These were on the market when we bought our place last year (we didn't get more than a few steps past the front door before deciding they weren't for us). They came across as poorly built and poorly conceived.

The average lot size for those houses is 3555 sq ft, which is larger than a lot of the new-build construction in the Heights (like where a 50-ft wide lot is subdivided into 2 3300-sf lots). Maybe reducing the front setback a little (might have needed a variance), and including a common driveway to back-facing garages would have allowed the developer to use a facade more in keeping with the character of the neighborhood.

Contrast this development to the one on the 500 block of W 23rd. Those houses are at a significantly higher price point, and (after a bit of a stall last year) seem to be selling as soon as they're finished. Granted there's an accessible alley on W 23rd, but the effort on 13th just seems phoned in.

• 6 months later...

If this thread is in reference to the building at 1333 HEIGHTS BLVD which is just recently owned by IRIS Investments then I can answer your questions about this building. It was previously an Apt. Complex and is now next to all those Brownstones and the Funeral Home. Well contray to what was said earlier this Building is and will be preserved!!! The owning group plans on renovating the buildings and turning it into an office building rather than a residence. The Building will accommodate 3 Businesses; 2 of which have already committed. Nine Lights will renovate the building. Unfortunately delays in renovation have occurred because the city takes forever to issue permits.

I like the design of brownstones, with the garage underneath. After living in a two story house with a large yard, for many years, I must say, it is appealing. I don't enjoy the yard upkeep, anymore. But buying one, for me, would totally depend on the location, & price, of course. I have to say the idea of climbing more stairs is not appealing. I would like to live in one with a really nice view of downtown. That would make the climb worthwhile. Someday.

• 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to Bluish Purple House On Heights Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Bluish Purple House At 1333 Heights Blvd.

Archived