Other Forums Of Interest

debmartin

just about everything you can think of has a message board. i thought it would be interesting to find out what sort of boards people are on besides this one. i have read posts where people mention other architecture forums, but i myself have never checked them out. i keep up with several other forums that i have discovered in connection with my personal interests and pursuits, and can say without a doubt this is one of the most interesting.

debmartin

This is my main addiction but I also frequent a board dedicated to Subaru WRX enthusiasts (nasioc.com), a financial forum run by a friend (money-talk.org), lottaliving.com and a few electronic music forums.

This is the only forum where I post, but I lurk in a few of the James Bond forums (my strange obsession :D ) and a couple of online automotive forums. Sometimes I still visit skyscrapercity/page. A couple of years ago I posted in a forum about the Astros, but that was a mistake. MLB used the member email addresses to generate a daily stream of spam, which was really annoying.

I visit Skyscrapercity, but I rarely post. I often read other post and pretty like it for the resource of cool pics. I often change out my backgrounds with some of the cool pics on there.

If I'm not here, I'm on Slashdot.

Also, HAIF has a sister forum called CAIF Chicago Architecture Info Forum, which for some reason has completely failed to thrive.  It's been around for over a year, and gets hardly any visitors.  I guess people in Chicago don't feel as pasionately about their city as Houstonians.

I dunno if this forum does so well because of a passion for Houston, or because its about the only place online to discuss local issues.

To me, Slashdot has degenerated to a bunch of zealots and script kiddies.

www.rx7club.com

www.fatwallet.com

ths.gardenweb.com/forums

www.clublexus.com

www.customtacos.com

www.purebredpuppy.com

www.pitbullforum.com

www.torrentspy.com

www.nopistons.com

houston.craigslist.com

I wish there was just a generic Houston forum....

Guest danax
......ths.gardenweb.com/forums.......

Hope the Eastend house came through for you because we need more gardening types out here to offset some of the ugly yards/tree murdering.

I dunno if this forum does so well because of a passion for Houston, or because its about the only place online to discuss local issues.

To me, Slashdot has degenerated to a bunch of zealots and script kiddies.

You're right, Slashdot isn't what it used to be. And its "news" is usually a few days to a few weeks old. But occasionally I'll stumble upon a topic I know nothing about like nanobots or biotech and actually learn something.

Skyscrapercity is good if you're looking for a massive forum about buildings. But I've heard recently that the people there are getting pretty hostile and childish, like Skyscraperpage. I don't even bother trying with Skyscraperpage unless I need help identifying a building because their server is farked most of the time.

^^^

My sentiments also about Skyscrapercity.

I think the forums grew too large to moderate well or the moderators don't care.

I mostly like it to find new information that's happening around the world. It does provide a good resource for how other places do transportion and their city developments. And many of times its from people from those cities. This is the biggest plus. I avoid all the silly and petty banter.

Hope the Eastend house came through for you because we need more gardening types out here to offset some of the ugly yards/tree murdering.

LOL. I don't read GardenWeb for the gardening info....that forum is overrun with appliance and kitchen zealots....

The Forest Hill deal is moving along....albeit slowly. I'm about to do inspections...and provided that termites haven't eaten all the way to the attic, and the sill plates aren't completely rotten, then I'll be closing the first part of June.

I've gathered that you've created all the sites listed in your signature. What made you think to create these? It seems like this and GSS would be your two biggest time consumers. None the less, the sites are great, and thoroughly enjoyed (by me).

Final thought.. I too wonder how Houston's Forum has flourished compared to Chicago's?

Houston > chitown

My .02

IMO the houston site propbably flourished more than Chicago's because on the larger sites if you talk about Houston you might be bashed, but Chicago is usually more respected on the large sites SSP/SSC. So Houstonians come here so they can talk about local issues. Also many Houstonians are suburbanites which is not looked on with worth on SSP etc...

Just my .02

I've gathered that you've created all the sites listed in your signature. What made you think to create these? It seems like this and GSS would be your two biggest time consumers. None the less, the sites are great, and thoroughly enjoyed (by me).

Final thought.. I too wonder how Houston's Forum has flourished compared to Chicago's?

Yes, I created them all. I started with Glass Steel and Stone. And then when I moved to Houston there was so much great architecture that I thought it deserved its own site. Things have expanded from there. In terms of vistors, here's how the sites rank:

Glass Steel and Stone

Houston Architecture Info

Chicago Architecture Info

Vienna Architecture .at

Tokyo Architecture Info

New York Architecture Info

Prague Architecture Info

London Architecture .co.uk redirects to the London section of GSS for now. I will make it its own site when I get some better photos.

I really have no idea why I bought Chinese Architecture .cn; I think just because I could.

Yes, I created them all.  I started with Glass Steel and Stone.  And then when I moved to Houston there was so much great architecture that I thought it deserved its own site.  Things have expanded from there.  In terms of vistors, here's how the sites rank:

Glass Steel and Stone

Houston Architecture Info

Chicago Architecture Info

Vienna Architecture .at

Tokyo Architecture Info

New York Architecture Info

Prague Architecture Info

London Architecture .co.uk redirects to the London section of GSS for now.  I will make it its own site when I get some better photos.

I really have no idea why I bought Chinese Architecture .cn; I think just because I could.

I think they are a great concept. I'm especially happy that this one has taken off and is doing well. You've done a good job on them, and hell - you ought to buy the domain for every city you can!

Archived