La Jalisciense Restaurant At 1307 Yale St.

Jessica N

I used to eat there, a while back, quite a bit in the 90's. It was good back then. Wonder what happened to it. I used to admire a nicely decorated old bldg. down the street from that restaurant. It was the Robinson Warehouse-Sears bldg.

I noticed it too - but everything in that strip center is gone. I ate their once. It was incredibly bad. Scary bad. No loss.

Mike there was one business still there, or at least the sign was there (not sure if it was open or not). It is on the north end, and I believe a panaderia.

I used to eat there, a while back, quite a bit in the 90's. It was good back then. Wonder what happened to it. I used to admire a nicely decorated old bldg. down the street from that restaurant. It was the Robinson Warehouse-Sears bldg.

No, the Robinson Warehouse/old Sears building was on Montrose south of Buffalo Bayou, not on Yale. It's been gone for a while, and the land stands vacant.

No, the Robinson Warehouse/old Sears building was on Montrose south of Buffalo Bayou, not on Yale. It's been gone for a while, and the land stands vacant.

Correct, and there was a Taqueria La Jaliciense a few blocks south of it on Montrose. Wonder if that's what NenaE is thinking of. Not sure if it's still there. I went a few times; it was distinguished by very low prices. Also by _widely_ varying opinions on the quality of its food. Some considered it a hazard, some considered it really great. (I guess those aren't mutually exclusive.)

Correct, and there was a Taqueria La Jaliciense a few blocks south of it on Montrose. Wonder if that's what NenaE is thinking of. Not sure if it's still there. I went a few times; it was distinguished by very low prices. Also by _widely_ varying opinions on the quality of its food. Some considered it a hazard, some considered it really great. (I guess those aren't mutually exclusive.)

Are we talking about the old BurritoHole on Montrose, where the Cantina-something is now? I had no idea they had moved into the Heights. That place ended up bad, but in the olden days of the mid-late 80s it was pretty good.

Are we talking about the old BurritoHole on Montrose, where the Cantina-something is now? I had no idea they had moved into the Heights. That place ended up bad, but in the olden days of the mid-late 80s it was pretty good.

no, this is on yale. the one on montrose ended up with tabc problems.

I doubt this will help significantly in distinguishing the two, but the restaurant that used to be on Montrose was La Jaliscience, whereas the one on Yale was La Jalisciense. Different spellings.

wacko.gif ...whoa...I wouldn't even attempt to spell that...overlooked the Yale address...you are all right, I was thinking of the one by Texas Art Supply, my mistake. The montrose one had a laundrymat next door. I only ordered Chicken Pollo. I was goooooddddd. I must be hungrylaugh.gif .

Mike there was one business still there, or at least the sign was there (not sure if it was open or not). It is on the north end, and I believe a panaderia.

Yes, it's a panaderia. It's good, too. However, their selection has seemed a bit limited lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's a panaderia. It's good, too. However, their selection has seemed a bit limited lately.

I believe it's called Sarita Panaderia. The staff and cooks are really nice there. The pan dulce is limited, but check the baker's racks before the cabinets. So good when fresh. The tacos are yummy and they have really great homemade salse. Nice homemade tortillas, too.

We live very close near 14th and Nicholson, so were were glad to have a taqueria within walking/biking distance. We gave the Jaliscience two tries and would never go back - really bad, and had a strange vibe.. I am glad they are gone. I don't think they were ever related to the old Jaliscience on Montrose (we asked on those two times and they looked at us like we were crazy..and yes, we speak Spanish)...but to another location... on Airline? The property owners renovated the exterior of the property last year and we can't figure out what the other spaces in there are. No sign, white curtains, lots of garment racks and bins of stuff stored in there. Wish something fun would move into that strip.

Anyway, we recommend the Sarita for tacos and pan dulce. Better than Chulosos any day!

• The title was changed to La Jalisciense On Yale St.
  • The title was changed to La Jalisciense Restaurant At 1307 Yale St.

Archived